Tracy Arm excursion from HAL cruise ship

Sherme

I am booked on an Alaska Inside Passage cruise next June on Konigsdam - this will be my first time in Alaska.  The cruise stops at Tracy Arm and we also spend a full day at Glacier Bay.  I have read many great comments on the Tracy Arm excursion, where passengers get on a smaller boat directly from the cruise ship at the entrance of Tracy Arm.  How far in advance do I need to book the excursion to make sure that it isn’t full?  Thank you for any advice.

16 hours ago, Sherme said:

I am booked on an Alaska Inside Passage cruise next June on Konigsdam - this will be my first time in Alaska.  The cruise stops at Tracy Arm and we also spend a full day at Glacier Bay.  I have read many great comments on the Tracy Arm excursion, where passengers get on a smaller boat directly from the cruise ship at the entrance of Tracy Arm.  How far in advance do I need to book the excursion to make sure that it isn’t full?  Thank you for any advice.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

My experience is that June is probably too early for Tracy Arm visits (too many ice flows) and the normal 30 minute time is "sailing past the entrance" to Tracy Arm.  I have not yet experienced HAL excursions beginning at the entrance to Tracy Arm.  All of my Tracy Arm excursions have departed from Juneau.

You should be able to see your available shore excursions on the HAL website since you are already booked.

• Like 1

We were on the Volendam on 2018.  R/T from Vancouver.  They offered the Tracy Arm excursion on our cruise.  I remember when the excursions first showed up on their sight this didn't show up right away.  I booked as soon as it opened up.  I remember calling to find out when it would show.

• Like 1

I would book it as soon as possible as the excursion boats have limited capacity., and it is an incredible experience to get so close to the glacier.  If the CG does not allow the ship to enter Tracy Arm,  they may allow them to go up Endicott instead, which is just to the right of Tracy if you are looking on the map.  If that happens, the excursion will proceed in Endicott Arm and take you up close to the Dawes glacier.

• Like 1

For anyone that has done the Tracy Arm excursion, what did you do in Juneau once you got there?  I think I will get to Juneau at around 3 pm, and our cruise ship only leaves at 10 pm.  Would you still want to go to Mendenhall Glacier after doing Tracy Arm?  Or, if the weather is clear, would Mt Roberts be better?  Before booking Tracy Arm, my plan was to go to Mendenhall and Nugget Falls, and then do a whale watching cruise.  

My first stop would be a short walk up Franklin Street to the Glacier Smoothie Soap cabin for my annual purchase of souvenir soaps (closes at 6:00 PM).  Mt Roberts us always a nice place to visit for the amazing views and Lady Baltimore (rescued eagle).

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-001-2.jpg

Edited by Crew News

4 hours ago, Sherme said:

For anyone that has done the Tracy Arm excursion, what did you do in Juneau once you got there?  I think I will get to Juneau at around 3 pm, and our cruise ship only leaves at 10 pm.  Would you still want to go to Mendenhall Glacier after doing Tracy Arm?  Or, if the weather is clear, would Mt Roberts be better?  Before booking Tracy Arm, my plan was to go to Mendenhall and Nugget Falls, and then do a whale watching cruise.  

Of the three - Mendenhall - Mt. Roberts - Tracy Arm

Time to do each -

Mendenhall - 2 hours minimum r-u-s-h-e-d better with 3 (longer with cruise excursion bus)***

*** round trip the Nugget Falls hike will take just under an hour relaxed

Tracy Arm - Round trip 5-6 hours from Juneau (less if done from waiting cruise ship)

Mt. Roberts - up and down one gondola cycle - 30 minutes - better minimum 4 cycles (2 hours)

Tourist Info Center - raptor exhibit - theatre showing - gift and snack shop - and the VIEW  

As you can add the times up doing two of the three is possible (Mt. Roberts or the other 2)

Mendenhall and Tracy only if doing the Tracy Arm from a waiting cruise ship

7 hours to play with (3-10pm) 15-20 minutes leaving the ship locating excursion vendor

and 10-15 minutes getting back on before pulling gangway

Leaving just a tad over 6 hours - best use of time Mendenhall and Mt. Roberts leaving some

time for gift shopping and eating local fare - - -

And Mt. Roberts & Tracy Arm ONLY if your cruise ship is waiting to pick you up at Holkham Bay

Mendenhall is not possible with the 5-6 hour round trip Tracy Arm from the float plane dock.

Weather and other unforeseen events will Shirley throw a wrench into the works !

With 3 principle piers for the cruise ships (best) and the AJ dock add 15-20 minutes time lost

to getting to this out of the way pier - DEFINITELY need more than 7 hours of port time !

Summary:  Take time to view the scenic sites and avoid pacing yourself spoiling it !

Thank you your your response.  I recently booked the  Tracy Arm excursion, boarding the small boat directly from the cruise ship just outside Tracy Arm, and then arriving in Juneau a couple of hours after the cruise ship… I think the small boat gets to Juneau around 3 pm, which leaves me a little over 6 hours in Juneau.  Since I should get fairly close to a glacier during Tracy Arm (or Endicott), do you think it’s worth going to Mendenhall as well?  

2 hours ago, Sherme said:

Thank you your your response.  I recently booked the  Tracy Arm excursion, boarding the small boat directly from the cruise ship just outside Tracy Arm, and then arriving in Juneau a couple of hours after the cruise ship… I think the small boat gets to Juneau around 3 pm, which leaves me a little over 6 hours in Juneau.  Since I should get fairly close to a glacier during Tracy Arm (or Endicott), do you think it’s worth going to Mendenhall as well?  

I do not. There are other things to do in Juneau.

5 hours ago, Sherme said:

You will NOT get as close to the Mendenhall as you would at Tracy Endicott up front.

The Mt. Roberts tram is worthwhile - check out if this is included in the excursion package.

Some excursions have a combo deal.

Peak summer time cruise travel presents lots of daylight to take in the sights - however

beware the early spring and late fall cruises where portions of excursions may be under

limited lighting viewing photo opts.