Live! Viking Venus : Western Med Escape Oct 12-18

Azulann

Went to  Mdina  the old capital for a walking tour. 
lovely! and of course it  seems I cannot seem to download the photo. 

we had sail away and now on our way to Sicily Our  cruise director Heather Clancy is outstanding !!!!.she has a wonderful sense of humor and a great speaking style .
She just said that we will have rain each day the rest of cruise. “ therefore Viking takes care of the excursions, your food but not the weather. That is your job. So each passenger please , Go out on your balcony before dinner and do a dance to stop the rain, Thank you ! “

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Palermo,Sicily

The  rain dance did not work. 
we had rough seas and thunderstorms

Today in Palermo , we had the bus tour panoramic of area . Went up  mt. San Pelligino

Went to the cathedral , cruisers from the Ponant and us filled the place.Something  should write a book about the restrooms , or W.C of Europe . I spent the time while in the cathedral standing in line to go behind a side altar to find one, Interesting experience . 
Sicily is noted for pistachio and limoncello. So now on a hunt for pistachio paste for pesto .

Now  back at sea heading for Sardinia with blue sky above! 
cheers

Patti 

6 hours ago, Cbktpf said:

Are masks still required onboard and daily PCR testing? Contact tracing??

Yes, all three protocols  are still in place. 
I have noticed that all tables are open in World cafe  and infinity deck, Restaraunt, and last night at Manfredi’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cagliari, Sardinia 

Still have to stay in bubble in Italy. In Spain we are free to go off on our own. 
Here is one of my favorite places on Viking al fresco eating 

479AB85D-0D5D-4284-9981-E42C8768BA74.jpeg

Edited by Azulann
Spelling
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Azulann said:

Our  cruise director Heather Clancy is outstanding !!!!.she has a wonderful sense of humor and a great speaking style .
She just said that we will have rain each day the rest of cruise. “ therefore Viking takes care of the excursions, your food but not the weather. That is your job. So each passenger please , Go out on your balcony before dinner and do a dance to stop the rain, Thank you ! “

Heather is a wonderful cruise director and entertainer.  What a marvelous voice she has ! 

SEA DAY

Been locked out of CC on my iphone for a day. So sitting in the Living Room behind staircase using Viking computers for guest.  

Beautiful  sunny  day in Sardinia.

Calm seas and  sunny for the sea day.

Last night at sailaway was Explorer Society toast on pool deck Lots of bubbly, appetizers, House band, and salute to couple with most cruises on board: 29 cruises. It felt  like pre covid days for sure

Heather Clancy did her  show last night. What  a Mezzo soprano  voice,  and  wonderful, funny explanation of opera!!!!

Today  there will be a Greek buffet in World cafe...  lazy  day at sea, the best.

• Like 8

On 10/16/2021 at 1:49 AM, Azulann said:

Last night at sailaway was Explorer Society toast on pool deck Lots of bubbly, appetizers, House band, and salute to couple with most cruises on board: 29 cruises. It felt  like pre covid days for sure

Today  there will be a Greek buffet in World cafe...  lazy  day at sea, the best.

Sounds like lots of in close social gathering.  Do you or anyone feel uncomfortable?  or is everyone indeed treating the cruise like 2019?   (Covid be d*mned!).  We leave for Italy in November, and not looking forward to it. (with Italy making Viking passengers stay in the bubble and do bus rides)

Edited by CCWineLover

Heather Clancy is an awesome CD.  She was on our WC in 2018 and was outstanding.  In addition to all the duties of the CD she organized and  officiated at Sunday services most weeks! She stayed calm in the face many "oh NO's"  and HOW does she wear those heels!!  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Sounds like lots of in close social gathering.  Do you or anyone feel uncomfortable?  or is everyone indeed treating the cruise like 2019?   (Covid be d*mned!).  We leave for Italy in November, and not looking forward to it. (with Italy making Viking passengers stay in the bubble and do bus rides)

I did read on the book of faces, that someone tested positive for Covid on this cruise the day before disembarking. The post was from someone who was identified as a close contact. Fortunately they tested negative and were able to disembark and travel home as planned. No idea what happened with the passenger who tested positive but I guess they couldn’t fly home?

Edited by JessM66

On 10/17/2021 at 7:46 PM, CCWineLover said:

This party was around the pool, open roof and people were eating and drinking . It was not wall to wall people ! 
throughout the cruise , staff will remind people to put on masks when they left table into common spacer. It was done very well. People had masks on when listening to lectures, on tour buses
felt totally safe   And all got their negative  results on 17 th to travel home.

having dinner in Barcelona and flying back to US in morning.

booked another Viking cruise the last night on board! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JessM66 said:

I did read on the book of faces, that someone tested positive for Covid on this cruise the day before disembarking. The post was from someone who was identified as a close contact. Fortunately they tested negative and were able to disembark and travel home as planned. No idea what happened with the passenger who tested positive but I guess they couldn’t fly home?

This is my live trip report on Cruise Critic . Invite your person who you are quoting  to join and come post  here if they like . thank you

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

This party was around the pool, open roof and people were eating and drinking . It was not wall to wall people ! 
throughout the cruise , staff will remind people to put on masks when they left table into common spacer. It was done very well. People had masks on when listening to lectures, on tour buses
felt totally safe   And all got their negative  results on 17 th to travel home.

Outstanding Azulann!   What cruise did you book?  Did they give you a credit then on your current cruise?  or any other discount?

So glad you had a wonderful time and apparently decent weather.  Enjoy dinner in Barcelona.  Sounds great!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Thanks for the live reporting, so what cruise did you book onboard. Safe flight home.

Hello all!  Back in a jet-lagged haze, but wanted to say it was so nice to meet many from our roll call on this voyage.  We all had a wonderful time and the friendliness of folks was part of it. Patti, great to meet you in person.  We were spoiled by Viking with a dinner (for our 9) in the private Manfredi's dining room one night that was fabulous.  Venus is a gorgeous ship and we're glad we will be back on her in May 2023.  We loved Malta and Cagliari and waved to Barcelona from our 3:30am departure.  Anyway, we learned lots from all of you and thanks for the live reporting Patti.  PS What cruise did you book next? 

• Like 4

My sister and I  booked Alaska for June 2023 . Vancouver to Seward AK .

It will be on the Orion , which we were on in skull. 
nevet been to British Columbia  or Alaska. Easy flights from MN  too.

Famsw, loved meeting your family too. Your  son was so helpful to me when we shared a row on the plane and my purse was open and my passport and holder fell

out . He found it !!!!’

Waiting for my final flight from JFK to MSP . Traveling days are more and more exhausting to and from overseas . 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Azulann said:

My sister and I  booked Alaska for June 2023 . Vancouver to Seward AK .

It will be on the Orion , which we were on in skull. 
nevet been to British Columbia  or Alaska. Easy flights from MN  too.

Famsw, loved meeting your family too. Your  son was so helpful to me when we shared a row on the plane and my purse was open and my passport and holder fell

out . He found it !!!!’

Waiting for my final flight from JFK to MSP . Traveling days are more and more exhausting to and from overseas . 

Alaska cruise - an excellent choice.

If we are back from the WC & UK/Scandinavia cruise, we are happy to head into the city and show you some of the sights and watering holes around Vancouver. Assuming you are arriving at least a day early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Alaska cruise - an excellent choice.

If we are back from the WC & UK/Scandinavia cruise, we are happy to head into the city and show you some of the sights and watering holes around Vancouver. Assuming you are arriving at least a day early.

Absolutely, we will come in two days early and stay one day after cruise. I would love to have an expert guide like you to tell us what to see and do in Vancouver! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Azulann said:

Absolutely, we will come in two days early and stay one day after cruise. I would love to have an expert guide like you to tell us what to see and do in Vancouver! 

Our cruise ends in Stockholm June 6th, but we may spend a few days with friends from the WC before heading home. Should be home by about 10th June. If that works, send me an email closer to the time.

Thanks for your report, looks like you enjoyed as much as we did..... We also booked another (on Venus in January).

Surprised you had internet problems, it was very good on Viking Sea. (In fact the best I've had on a ship apart from one Caribbean cruise on Silver Wind - which was exceptional - but a one off - SS internet is usually poor, but they were testing providers on that particular cruise. I guess they didn't pick that one going forward. lol)

I note the comment about someone testing positive. I will ask my friends who were on with you if they heard anything. I would have thought they would have mentioned if they had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Surprised you had internet problems, it was very good on Viking Sea.

The  wifi  connection was great on the ship. It was my iPhone connecting to Cruise critic with my username and account. It was not working well for some reason for a day. CC was giving me the spinning wheel when I went to log in. 

Where are you goin in Jan on Viking. Promotions  to book something on board, if you can ,too good to pass up.  

On 10/20/2021 at 12:19 PM, Azulann said:

The  wifi  connection was great on the ship. It was my iPhone connecting to Cruise critic with my username and account. It was not working well for some reason for a day. CC was giving me the spinning wheel when I went to log in. 

Where are you goin in Jan on Viking. Promotions  to book something on board, if you can ,too good to pass up.  

It's London to Bergen in search of the Northern Lights....

I got a reply back from friends on your cruise regarding this alleged Covid case. They said they heard an American saying something about Covid and quarantine towards the end, but didn't catch if it was regarding this cruise. Hopefully it wasn't.

17 minutes ago, les37b said:

It's London to Bergen in search of the Northern Lights....

I got a reply back from friends on your cruise regarding this alleged Covid case. They said they heard an American saying something about Covid and quarantine towards the end, but didn't catch if it was regarding this cruise. Hopefully it wasn't.

Sounds like a great cruise . Hope you see lots of Northern lights.
Folks  were probably hashing over old news from the summer about Iceland etc. 

it was again a great and safe cruise !