Dining solo

Princess1963

I I have been on 3 carnival cruises so far. I now have 5 more booked. I have in the past not had ate in the dining room. I am going to do so on my next cruises. I have signed up for your time dining. I don't mind sharing a table I did so on the lido deck before but thinking about dining by myself. Is the tables close enough in the dining room close enough to start a conversation with others if you want too or would I be better off sitting with other. I would like some advice.

Edited by Princess1963

6 hours ago, Princess1963 said:

I I have been on 3 carnival cruises so far. I now have 5 more booked. I have in the past not had ate in the dining room. I am going to do so on my next cruises. I have signed up for your time dining. I don't mind sharing a table I did so on the lido deck before but thinking about dining by myself. Is the tables close enough in the dining room close enough to start a conversation with others if you want too or would I be better off sitting with other. I would like some advice.

On the Carnival ships I've been on there have been several types of tables in their MDRs - the round ones that will hold 4-12, the booths that will hold 4-8, and long tables that will hold a lot of people but have a little bit extra space between chairs.  The latter are your best best if you want to sit alone (sort of) but talk to the people around you if you like.  Let the person that greets you in the dining room know what you'd like and they'll try their best to make it happen.  You might have to wait for a situation that's to your liking, but it doesn't sound like that's too important to you.

Whatever you come up with, good luck on your cruises!

• Like 1

We did the Carnival Magic in mid September.  My cruise buddy and I were seated at a 2 person table that was only about 2 feet from the next table, we had no problem conversing with our nearest neighboring table.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Princess1963 said:

It don't really matter I am not much of a talker while eating.

37 minutes ago, NSnJW said:

We did the Carnival Magic in mid September.  My cruise buddy and I were seated at a 2 person table that was only about 2 feet from the next table, we had no problem conversing with our nearest neighboring table.

NSnJW's experience is what I have had during a Carnival cruise.  On one cruise, seated at a table for 4 with 3 friends who were cruising together, our table was next to another table for 4 with 4 young women on Spring Break.  One evening, none of my tablemates appeared and one of theirs was missing.  They invited me to join them; I did; a very pleasant dinner and conversation resulted.  

To my surprise when I was a guest on MSC Meraviglia in Yacht Club, some of the tables for two are also close together.  A couple of evenings there were conversations among the guests at three of the tables with me being in the middle.  I liked that!  One never knows what to expect when one travels!  

Because of COVID, I didn’t feel comfortable sitting with strangers, even vaccinated ones. I cruised in September on the Meraviglia, and the tables for 2 were so close together, it was just like a group tabld. I’m a cancer patient with a low immune system, so I worry more than most people. First night on the Meraviglia, I was seated alone at a 2-top, beside of two very picky eaters; they criticized most everything, argued with the waiters’ apologies. Ir made me feel uncomfortable. Next night I asked for a different table, and was the first one seated at a larger table, far from windows.  I didn’t feel like dinner Russian roulette, so I asked for a 2-top close to a window. (Who’s the picky diner now? 😉. All the tables beside the windows were for larger groups. That didn’t seem fair to me. I finally got seated at a 2-top where I could see sunset and the ocean, which was especially nice on port days. I would always start with a glass of bubbly; and do some people watching before I ordered. I enjoy comparing the faces of happy couples with perfectly miserable couples. There’s so much to see in a dining room, that I never felt self-conscious. I sometimes arrived a few minutes after my seating time, which allowed me to look at what my neighbors ordered and ask if they enjoyed it. Had some pleasant conversations. Meraviglia food in MDR was excellent. 

• Like 2

I always get my time dining and love the choices it gives me.  When I go to dinner I get a table based on my mood.  If I am in the mood to be alone I ask for a solo table away from people.  Most of the time I feel like sharing my time and I ask for a large table.  The large table gives me a better chance of having someone that I enjoy their company.  Some nights I get a large table but just enjoy my dinner and say nothing.  With a large table they will leave you alone if you do not join their conversation.  As a solo cruiser I find the worst table is 4 or 6 top with strangers.  Those table are to small to not talk to the people and if you do not like their personalities you have no choice but to hurry dinner and leave.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

With a large table they will leave you alone if you do not join their conversation.  As a solo cruiser I find the worst table is 4 or 6 top with strangers.

Our opinions differ about both of these comments.  At a large table and one does not engage in conversation, that would make me feel as a "true outsider".  And, I have been at such a table when a person would say little.  That raises my "eyebrows" a bit as to why their motivation to be seated at a large table.

A round 6 top is my favorite type of table!  Easier to speak with people, easier to hear what others are saying; never have been disappointed with such a choice/assignment.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That raises my "eyebrows" a bit as to why their motivation to be seated at a large table.

That is why a large table.  If I am at a small table and do not talk they think badly of me and treat me that way.  At a large table only one person thinks that and the others realize I am bashful and/or want to keep to myself.  They will just talk to the others at the table.

1 hour ago, christinand said:

Maybe round tables are better as you are more distanced?

Not necessarily.  If one is at a round table for 8 and there are only 4 or 5 assigned to the table, social distancing would be possible, but it would not be the recommended 6 feet between seats.  

On my cruise on the Majestic Princess in August, I tended to go to dinner at 8. I usually ate alone at a table for two but usually close enough to talk to others nearby. Princess ships have lots of tables for two that are very close together. At 8, no one was asking to share a table. The ship was at a little less than 70% capacity. 

At breakfast and lunch, I did share tables with others.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, NSnJW said:

I don't see where I mentioned "mandatory".  As for myself, I don't speak in a dining room unless someone addresses me first.

I wonder what you do if you are sitting at a bar in a ship's lounge.  Do you not engage with fellow guests sitting near you or with the bartenders?  

23 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

I find that some, just never know when to shut up. 

I have occasionally found that whether I am traveling solo or with another person.  If I am solo and I ask for a table for two that's just for me, it is probably because it is at breakfast (I am not a morning person anymore) and I am not in the mood to have a conversation with another guest.  

I have had tablemates who talked more than they ate; either I moved or they were moved when the rest of my tablemates spoke to the Maitre d' or his/her Assistant.  This a rather rare occurrence, however.  

• Like 2

rkacruiser, you quoted my post so I will answer you also.

I don't drink so I don't go to the bar.  I will talk to servers and other people dining but I am too much of an introvert to initiate conversations.

Edited by NSnJW
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

Its the people in the same colored tees and baseball hats with shorts that speak very loudly are the ones to avoid.

One of the activities on a cruise (or anywhere for that matter) that I enjoy is "people watching".  These folks provide plenty of amusement for me.  Sometimes, they are more entertaining than the "entertainers" that work on the ship.  

Kind of going through this myself [38/M].  Just this weekend had my travel partner bow out of my mid-February cruise and the realities of cruising alone is starting to hit me.  I really like formal dining, but I've often felt a lack of common ground with table mates that has made conversation range anywhere from awkward to an outright chore.  Not sure that's really something I'm anxious to pursue, but I'm not sure how much better dining solo in the main dining room is either.

What to do...

13 hours ago, Cyberhwk said:

Kind of going through this myself [38/M].  Just this weekend had my travel partner bow out of my mid-February cruise and the realities of cruising alone is starting to hit me.  I really like formal dining, but I've often felt a lack of common ground with table mates that has made conversation range anywhere from awkward to an outright chore.  Not sure that's really something I'm anxious to pursue, but I'm not sure how much better dining solo in the main dining room is either.

What to do...

An advantage of open dining would be for you to try dining with and without tablemates.  That would allow you to help decide which you prefer.

But, at least for me, fixed dining allows for familiarity with a small group of people to develop which then fosters conversation.  Only once in a fixed dining situation did I realize within 15-20 minutes after being seated that I would request a different table.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 12:13 PM, rkacruiser said:

An advantage of open dining would be for you to try dining with and without tablemates.  That would allow you to help decide which you prefer.

But, at least for me, fixed dining allows for familiarity with a small group of people to develop which then fosters conversation.  Only once in a fixed dining situation did I realize within 15-20 minutes after being seated that I would request a different table.  

This is kind of my dilemma, Princess has gone to all my time dining, you can still choose to sit with others but it more than likely will not be the same people every night the way fixed dining is.

It doesn't appeal me to sit with new people every evening and go through the same initial conversations night after night.

I'll ask to be seated at a window so I can look out at the ocean & sunset.

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tonit964 said:

This is kind of my dilemma, Princess has gone to all my time dining, you can still choose to sit with others but it more than likely will not be the same people every night the way fixed dining is.

It doesn't appeal me to sit with new people every evening and go through the same initial conversations night after night.

I'll ask to be seated at a window so I can look out at the ocean & sunset.

@tonit964I think you're smart. I would rather sit by myself, do some people-watching, chat with the wait staff and (maybe) with friendly people at nearby tables, than spend a dinner making "forced" conversation with people I may not care for.

Since you'll be going on Princess, I'll suggest that you consider dining at least some of the time in their specialty restaurants. I've felt that Sabatini's, Crown Grill, and Curtis Stone "Share" were all well worth the $29 surcharge. Aside from the excellent food, the servers in the Princess specialty restaurants seem to be a cut above those in the main dining rooms. They treat solos very well. On my last four-night solo getaway out of L.A. on the Emerald, I ate in specialty restaurants all four nights. I'll probably do it again next time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Hmm.  Was not aware of that change.  On the ships, like Star Princess, that had an aft dining room that took a bit of "effort" to get to, that dining room was fixed dining.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

@tonit964I think you're smart. I would rather sit by myself, do some people-watching, chat with the wait staff and (maybe) with friendly people at nearby tables, than spend a dinner making "forced" conversation with people I may not care for.

Since you'll be going on Princess, I'll suggest that you consider dining at least some of the time in their specialty restaurants. I've felt that Sabatini's, Crown Grill, and Curtis Stone "Share" were all well worth the $29 surcharge. Aside from the excellent food, the servers in the Princess specialty restaurants seem to be a cut above those in the main dining rooms. They treat solos very well. On my last four-night solo getaway out of L.A. on the Emerald, I ate in specialty restaurants all four nights. I'll probably do it again next time.

Thank you for that info. The promo I booked with does include a specialty dining so I will take advantage of that for sure. I have been to Sabatini's & Crown Grill and both are excellent. I'm probably just going to play it by ear and see how it goes night by night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Hmm.  Was not aware of that change.  On the ships, like Star Princess, that had an aft dining room that took a bit of "effort" to get to, that dining room was fixed dining.  

Unfortunately, with the new Dine My Way on all ships now, the "fixed times" as we know it are gone. When you book, there is no more choosing early/late and table size. So now, you are not dining with the same people at the same table/time each night. I'm so disappointed in this change.

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1