Hamburg

delgirl

We are thinking about booking QM2 next year 9 nights Hamburg, bruges, rotterdam and then hamberg again and back to southampton. Any thoughts on this cruise. Bit concerned about going to Hamberg twice is there much to do.

Hamburg is one of my favourite ports: there is lots of stuff to do. Despite the RAF's best efforts, it is a splendid city. Best of all, the sailaway is usually a great occasion, though not as good since the new terminal opened. Nonetheless QM2 is much admired, and is often accompanied down the Elbe by dozens of boats.

• Like 2

Hamburg is on my wish list of ports I would like to do sometime on QM2. The things to see on my to-do list include:

Miniatur Wunderland

QM2 Lego Model at the Internationales Maritimes Museum

Ballinstadt Emigrant Museum

Perhaps an Elbe river cruise

I've been looking at that same voyage next year as part of a longer 23-night trip from New York primarily because it does offer two days in Hamburg. I don't think we'll have any problem filling up two days there if I do decide book that one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Despite the RAF's best efforts, it is a splendid city.

Oh, c'mon now.  Maybe because of the RAF's best efforts?  There's nothing there older than 1945.  I have seen a photo of Hamburg in 1945 where the whole place was flattened except the cathedral.  O.K., the cathedral is older than 1945.

The folks in Hamburg love the QM2.  We had 400 Germans on our departure and a great fireworks display as we sailed away.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Hamburg is on my wish list of ports I would like to do sometime on QM2. The things to see on my to-do list include:

Miniatur Wunderland

QM2 Lego Model at the Internationales Maritimes Museum

Ballinstadt Emigrant Museum

Perhaps an Elbe river cruise

I've been looking at that same voyage next year as part of a longer 23-night trip from New York primarily because it does offer two days in Hamburg. I don't think we'll have any problem filling up two days there if I do decide book that one.

The cruise I am looking at is next  August. We embark Southampton  then hamburg next is bruges then rotterdam and then hamburg again then back to  Southampton 

4 hours ago, delgirl said:

The cruise I am looking at is next  August. We embark Southampton  then hamburg next is bruges then rotterdam and then hamburg again then back to  Southampton 

9 days seems a very long time for this cruise. I'm sure it'll be lovely but with 9 days wouldn't you be tempted to look for somewhere slightly more adventurous?

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

9 days seems a very long time for this cruise. I'm sure it'll be lovely but with 9 days wouldn't you be tempted to look for somewhere slightly more adventurous?

I know what you mean, but we don't want to travel too far. Have some cc from our cancelled cruise last year to iceland. Have to use it by 13 dec. Was waiting for 2023 and use it then and just book at the last minute next year when we can see how things are going, but cunard are not  releasing 2023 until early next year. Havn't booked yet am also looking at copenhagen on QV and portugal on QV. TBH there isn't anything exciting next year

On 10/29/2021 at 11:43 AM, delgirl said:

I had booked the voyage, but have since had to cancel. The two things I was looking forward to was the Hamburg City Tour which includes a stop at the Miniature Wunderland, and the first Hamburg departure which is a summer Sunday and guaranteed to be a feast for the eyes with the dozens (hundreds) of small boats that will accompany QM2 down the Elbe. I recommend this cruise. 

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

I had booked the voyage, but have since had to cancel. The two things I was looking forward to was the Hamburg City Tour which includes a stop at the Miniature Wunderland, and the first Hamburg departure which is a summer Sunday and guaranteed to be a feast for the eyes with the dozens (hundreds) of small boats that will accompany QM2 down the Elbe. I recommend this cruise. 

I see Hamburg departures on Tuesday, June 14, Wednesday, June 22 and Friday, August 19.  I can't figure out where Sunday is coming from.

24 minutes ago, 57eric said:

I see Hamburg departures on Tuesday, June 14, Wednesday, June 22 and Friday, August 19.  I can't figure out where Sunday is coming from.

I think the voyage we are discussing is "Rotterdam, Bruges And Hamburg, 9 Nights (M223D)", roundtrip from Southampton on August 12-21, 2022. The first call at Hamburg on August 14, 2022 is a Sunday. The second call at Hamburg on August 19, 2022 is indeed a Friday.

This is essentially a 5-night roundtrip from Hamburg (M224) with two nights on each end making it a 9-night roundtrip from Southampton (M223D) as well. And with the addition of 7-night crossings on each end it also becomes a 23-night roundtrip from New York (M223B) which I'm considering.

Edited by bluemarble

The comment about the RAF´s best effort made my smile- even though there is nothing to smile about that dreadfull time.

OH, there many many buildings left from before 1945- just walk along the Außenalster, Landungsbrücken, Michel ( St. Michaelis Church- great to see from the docked QM2 ) and many more.

Hamburg loves the QM2- I agree- and always when she is in port it is a big to do. One of my favorite places it " The Landungsbrücken in St. Pauli"!

5 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

The comment about the RAF´s best effort made my smile- even though there is nothing to smile about that dreadfull time.

OH, there many many buildings left from before 1945- just walk along the Außenalster, Landungsbrücken, Michel ( St. Michaelis Church- great to see from the docked QM2 ) and many more.

Hamburg loves the QM2- I agree- and always when she is in port it is a big to do. One of my favorite places it " The Landungsbrücken in St. Pauli"!

Nothing to smile about, I absolutely agree, but important to acknowledge. And we also smile at how lucky we are to be living now and able to enjoy a city as splendid as Hamburg. Incidentally, the rebuilding of Hamburg after WW2 turned out much better than that of the city of London, which seemed to coincide with a particularly grim period of Bristish architecture.

• Like 1

Oh we have our share of building sins of the post war years. Time and accomodation was of the essence! Many of those Buildings of the 50s are now in the process of beeing torn down here in G.

Oh I so love London- so much history. One of my favorite cities in the world- along with NYC

• Like 1

Well I have bitten the bullet and booked this cruise. Got a sheltered balcony. No ordinary balconies as all sold out except for obstructed. Just some planning to do now in the new year to see what we can do.

• Like 2