Communicating on the Celebrity Eclipse

Heloguy

I just booked an Eclipse cruise and am wondering what is the best way to keep in contact with the other couple that we are cruising with when we're separated on the ship.  The Celebrity app doesn't support the Eclipse so that isn't an option.

Walkie Talkie, might work a little bit. If you have WIFI, use a messaging app like What's App, and you can text them. If everyone has Iphones, just text them via IMessage. If you have the Premium WIFI, just call them on the phone (set phone to airplane, WIFI on, WIFI calling on).

Edited by neverlaysup
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

What ships does the app not work on? Is it just the communication feature?

The app lists these ships below that it is available for. That means Solstice, Infinity, and the Galapagos vessels as the ships the app is not yet ready for. 

F161C5D4-E265-4067-A6ED-442FE219EB74.png

There above list looks correct. I know from personal experience for the cruises or bookings we’ve had that the app works for Reflection, Millennium, and Equinox whereas it doesn’t work for Solstice, Xpedition, not Xploration. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Walkie Talkie, might work a little bit. If you have WIFI, use a messaging app like What's App, and you can text them. If everyone has Iphones, just text them via IMessage. If you have the Premium WIFI, just call them on the phone (set phone to airplane, WIFI on, WIFI calling on).

We will have a mix of I phones and Androids.  Using the Whats App sounds like a good option.  However, I'm assuming that we will all need an internet plan for the app to work using the ship's wireless system???

26 minutes ago, Heloguy said:

We will have a mix of I phones and Androids.  Using the Whats App sounds like a good option.  However, I'm assuming that we will all need an internet plan for the app to work using the ship's wireless system???

Yes, you would need a ship's wifi plan to do this without incurring any charges from your cell phone carrier.

• Like 1

Use wifi calling if you have unlimited internet.   Set your phone to wifi calling and turn off your cell data.  You will then be able to call anywhere with your phone and it will be thru the internet.  No extra cell, roaming or foreign calling charges as it is done over the internet 

If you have any problems trying to do that ask the person in the I Lounge

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just be aware, if you have Android phones and only have the standard (i.e., surf) internet package, you will not be able to send text messages or make wi-fi calls.  Found this out the hard way on our Millennium cruise in Sept.  The IT guy told us it sometimes works on Apple phones, but usually not on Android but he does not know why.  I was able to use Facebook messenger but that isn't as good as texting or Wi-Fi calling IMHO.  Very frustrating. Prior to this "all included" nonsense, it was included when we bought the internet package.

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Just be aware, if you have Android phones and only have the standard (i.e., surf) internet package, you will not be able to send text messages or make wi-fi calls.

And I should have been clearer when suggesting texts, above.  Using a phone's native texting system that uses a phone number to direct the message has the same issues as a VOIP call.  Both require a carrier to track where the phone associated with that phone number is so as to be able to have the voice call or inbound text routed to the right place (in this case, the ship's network). 

Using a texting app (e.g.  Google Messages) is the only sure way to avoid any carrier roaming charges, but some carriers offer services like WiFi voice calling and texting using your phone number for a decent price and/or include it at no extra charge as part of an international package.

So when it comes to messaging aboard, it pays to know what your carrier offers or charges for this kind of roaming, and what app options you have if your carrier doesn't play nice.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

The Eclipse isn’t scheduled to sail until next Spring, perhaps they will extend the App to the Eclipse by then.  Since the new safety protocols are deeply imbedded in the App, my guess is that the App will work when she resumes sailing.

That would be nice.  I hope so.

If you booked an Always Included cruise, you'll have wifi. If that's the case, use a messenger app. That's what DW and I have done, and it worked very well. 

The Celebrity app really is a lousy way to try and communicate because it doesn't give notifications. You don't know there's a message waiting unless and until you open the app.  

As far as phone messages and sticky notes go, that would also be a lousy way to reach folks like me. Once I've left my cabin in the morning, I rarely go back until I go get cleaned up and changed for dinner and, after that, until I'm off to bed. 

• Like 1