Nov 6 Apex B2B East-West Caribbean Cruise

Ken the cruiser

The Captain just came over the loud speaker and informed us one person had tested positive for COVID and those that had been found to be near the person as well as that person had all been quarantined.

It’s interesting to note those being tested today were doing so either because they were staying on for the next cruise and needed an antigen test or were getting a PCR test to fly home.

But in any event we’re hoping it was just an isolated case with the person showing no symptoms. But, of course, there is no way of knowing that. The sad part is if any of those found to be near that person were scheduled to cruise on the next leg, I believe they will now not be allowed to do so. That would definitely be a bummer!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Tonight, we had our final dinner in Normandy which, of course, was great! We then went to the evening show and saw Crystallize once again and followed it up by going to The Club to watch Majority Rules one more time. 

What a great 16 days of cruising it has been on a wonderful $1.2 billion ship! But, alas, tomorrow it all comes to an end as we disembark the ship around 7:30, jump in our car and head out on a 12 hour drive back to Alabama.

But not for long as we head back out on the Constellation on December 23 out of Tampa for 11 days over Xmas and New Years! As we have never been on a M class ship before, it should be interesting after sailing on the Edge and now the Apex over the past few months!

So until next time have a great time and hope you all get to go on your next cruise real soon! 😎

F0BD4A3D-D3B5-4DAA-921B-424C79273C6C.thumb.jpeg.693c270e4e1544b66c2cc00d793956ce.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The Captain just came over the loud speaker and informed us one person had tested positive for COVID and those that had been found to be near the person as well as that person had all been quarantined.

Interesting that the Captain announced it.  When we were on the Majestic Princess in August, we received a phone call that we had been on an excursion with someone who exhibited Covid like symptoms and everyone on the excursion needed to be tested.  We were summoned to an aft dining room away from the sight of other passengers and everyone tested negative.  So Princess handled these events quietly.  The Apex has been in Yellow / under CDC investigation status for over a week now.  Hoping it's just a couple of cases and nothing more.

1 hour ago, EffortlessVoyages said:

Did you all keep the same time as the departure port on the ship the whole time or did you change as you went through time zones?

We kept on  the same time the whole cruise. They figured it wasn’t worth the hassle of changing it one day to Central time and then back the next day to eastern time. 

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Interesting that the Captain announced it.  When we were on the Majestic Princess in August, we received a phone call that we had been on an excursion with someone who exhibited Covid like symptoms and everyone on the excursion needed to be tested.  We were summoned to an aft dining room away from the sight of other passengers and everyone tested negative.  So Princess handled these events quietly.  The Apex has been in Yellow / under CDC investigation status for over a week now.  Hoping it's just a couple of cases and nothing more.

From what I could find out, there was 1 isolated case on the Nov 4 cruise and then this isolated case on the Nov 13 cruise. My guess is both were discovered during the testing offered the day before transition day when b2b folks have to get their antigen tests and Canadians had to get their PCR tests to fly back home. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

From what I could find out, there was 1 isolated case on the Nov 4 cruise and then this isolated case on the Nov 13 cruise. My guess is both were discovered during the testing offered the day before transition day when b2b folks have to get their antigen tests and Canadians had to get their PCR tests to fly back home. 

The CDC bar for these alerts is set quite low.  Still it's even more odd that the Captain announced this one and not the case the week before.  Still hoping all are well and it stays at 1 person!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

The CDC bar for these alerts is set quite low.  Still it's even more odd that the Captain announced this one and not the case the week before.  Still hoping all are well and it stays at 1 person!

The Captain may have announced it and we just didn’t hear it. 

Enjoy reading your reviews, can't wait for the next one !

I know you were in a suite, but just wondering if you happen to notice in the IV cabins that are connecting, is the connection on the outside like on the Eclipse or Equinox, or in the cabin like the Reflection?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nikel said:

I know you were in a suite, but just wondering if you happen to notice in the IV cabins that are connecting, is the connection on the outside like on the Eclipse or Equinox, or in the cabin like the Reflection?

Thanks

Not the OP but can answer your question from experience as I was in a connecting IV on the Edge.... the connecting door is inside the cabin.

Ooops.... just editing to add - I forgot this thread is about the Apex so I could be wrong as I have not been on the Apex.   Sorry about that!!

Edited by Reel Love

17 minutes ago, nikel said:

Thanks

We were actually in a sunset veranda, but unfortunately I don’t have an answer for your question. Maybe someone following this thread might be able to explain how IV cabins are connected.

Update: Thanks @Reel Lovefor answering @nikel question.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We were actually in a sunset veranda, but unfortunately I don’t have an answer for your question. Maybe someone following this thread might be able to explain how IV cabins are connected.

Update: Thanks @Reel Lovefor answering @nikel question.

We just got off the Apex yesterday and were in connecting IV cabins.  The connection door is inside the room, up near the entry door.  You can't even peek around the edge to see the next IV with the window all the way down.

2 minutes ago, kristapb said:

We just got off the Apex yesterday and were in connecting IV cabins.  The connection door is inside the room, up near the entry door.  You can't even peek around the edge to see the next IV with the window all the way down.

How did you like you IV cabin? We initially booked one, then switched to a SV when some became available.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:16 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

For those interested in the latest disembarkation rules at the ports we will be visiting this leg, here’s a copy of the letter we received in our cabin today. It’s pretty self-explanatory.

C8D780D7-F2C5-4B33-A49D-59196F036BDC.jpeg

Do you recall what was published for the Western Caribbean leg of your sailing?

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

Do you recall what was published for the Western Caribbean leg of your sailing?

If you look at my first post, I copied what was on the website at the time. You’ll notice Grand Cayman was in the title of the Western Caribbean leg but removed from the detailed itinerary. 

15 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If you look at my first post, I copied what was on the website at the time. You’ll notice Grand Cayman was in the title of the Western Caribbean leg but removed from the detailed itinerary. 

No, I am sorry.  I meant were the shore excursions for the W Carib sailing also limited to ones only offered by Celebrity?

34 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

No, I am sorry.  I meant were the shore excursions for the W Carib sailing also limited to ones only offered by Celebrity?

Unfortunately, we never went ashore, so we never paid that close attention to whether or not we could roam around on our own while in port. It seems to me, though, there were some limitations one port, possibly two. Maybe someone else who was on the western Caribbean leg that went ashore might be able to shear some light on your question. But then again the restrictions seem to change almost daily, so it all may change again once you go on your cruise.

48 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Unfortunately, we never went ashore, so we never paid that close attention to whether or not we could roam around on our own while in port. It seems to me, though, there were some limitations one port, possibly two. Maybe someone else who was on the western Caribbean leg that went ashore might be able to shear some light on your question. But then again the restrictions seem to change almost daily, so it all may change again once you go on your cruise.

Ok.  Thanks anyway.  What is your assessment on the 4 dining rooms?  I am in the process of booking my dinner reservations there and we are planning on rotating and trying all 4 although, unlike you, we only have 7 nights.  Is one better than the other for, say, the Evening Chic nights?  

I decided to book one dinner at Eden based on your posts.