Library on Viking Orion Ocean cruise

NH artist

Hello,

I am an avid reader and expect to read about 3 books or more per week on our 18 day cruise.

I don't like Kindles....are there decent books (mysteries, thrillers, biographies, art books, historical books) on the boat or should I bring everything I need to read?

Thank you.....

The books are spread all over the ship in various locations.  They tend towards biographies, history, and non-fiction books on a wide variety of subjects, with a few novels mixed in.  We've always been able to find interesting books, but we also have novels downloaded on the iPad as a supplement to the on-board selections.  As Mom says, Viking forum regulars will be able to give you even more detail, but if you're looking for mysteries/thrillers, you likely won't find a large selection of those.

• Like 1

On any cruise or for that matter any other mode of transport, download a bunch of books from your library onto your Kindle.  That way you will have a good selection of books that you really want to read as opposed to whatever are the leftovers on the ship.  I usually download 20 or 30 books.  I know that I won't read all 30 but I am never sure what I will want to read and I always download several books from authors that I have never heard just in case they might be interesting.

DON

NH artist, although I use my kindle, I know exactly what you mean!  It’s nice to have an actual book in your hands. I know that there is a library (possibly in the living room?}  where people can place the books that they brought on board and have read. Heidi13 would be able to answer this question because he and his fellow cruise mates helped out with the book inventory on their Magical Mystery World Cruise last year during Covid. 

Also, I should add, that there are books throughout the ship. The Explorers Lounge has a wonderful collection of historical books and we often went there during the afternoons — sea days especially — and perused their collection. They also have many wonderful maps. 

There are primarily non-fiction books spread throughout the ship for you to borrow.

But--for current fiction, head to the Living Room. The section next over from the bar has a low, wide shelf where passengers leave books. A good selection of recent best sellers. I would say a choice of around 100? We leave our finished books there.

I was on the Venus, and I loved having books all over the ship!  I am a big ebook reader, but it was great to browse the books and find one to read while I was on the ship.  I found that they had fiction and nonfiction.  

5 hours ago, NH artist said:

Hello,

I am an avid reader and expect to read about 3 books or more per week on our 18 day cruise.

I don't like Kindles....are there decent books (mysteries, thrillers, biographies, art books, historical books) on the boat or should I bring everything I need to read?

Thank you.....

Hey, @NH artist, welcome to Cruise Critic and, since I am just south of you, howdy, neighbor!

Folks already answered your question, so I just want to make sure that you are finding your way around the maze here.

Have you found the roll call for your sailing yet? Roll calls are where you meet folks who will be sailing with you. It is a separate forum from the one you are reading now. Here is where to look for the Viking roll calls. Find your ship, click on it and then scroll down until you find the date for your sailing. Once you find your roll, remember that you always use the blue "Reply to this topic" button to post in the roll call -- never the "start new topic" that sits beside it. Read the whole thread; who knows what nuggets of information you will find. Then take a moment to introduce yourself -- first names and home state will suffice --  and let your fellow passengers know that you are a newbie.

Check out the thread Tips for New Viking Ocean CruisersThere is a lot of information in this thread. Start on page one and stop when it starts to get too repetitive (for me, that's barely 10 pages worth but everyone has their own tolerance). Then skip to July 1, 2021 and start reading. These are the post that will cover sailing with Viking in the new "normal."

Bon voyage!

6 hours ago, NH artist said:

Hello,

Thank you.....

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Viking Boards.

As Millybess mentioned, we were 2 of the last 8 passengers on the Viking Sun's 2020 World Cruise aka Majical Mystery Tour.

We assisted the Cruise Director's staff with the book inventory. Viking has over 1,000 books, which are distributed through the Suites and various lounges. They have a good selection of both fact and fiction books. Explorer's has mostly destination books, with other lounges having more fiction titles.

None of the books are locked up, as the entire library is on the honour system. 

In addition, in the Living Room on Dk 1, they have a shelf for pax books that are not included in the actual library. These are books that pax have left on board and are free to borrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1