First timer on NCL - help with all these free package we got from our booking!

Missheo

Hello,

This is our first time sailing with NCL, we will be sailing on the NCL - Bliss to Mexican Riveria over the Christmas Holiday. I booked this today and we got a bunch of freebie. I am not sure if is a good thing or a bad thing, still trying to figure it out and needed help.

Premium Package  Drink - I understand 20% gratuity will be added but is this per drink when we ordered or the whole package. Some of us in the booking doesn't drink alcoholic drinks, so if were to be charged for the whole package instead of per drink it is not really a freebie than. Am I right?

2 Meal Dining Package - Most of the place is a la carte, can we ordered whatever we like on the menu or is there a price limit per room or per guest?

I made reservation in one of the restaurant, but would like to change it to another one, how  or where do you navigate it on the apps to cancel and rebook? 

There are 3 of us, but every reservation in the specialty restaurant the option are 2, 4, or 6. If I booked 4, will I be charged for 1 extra?

Thank you,

Tibby

The reservation quantity means nothing.  Just round up to the next number that will cover your party.  The drink package is not per drink gratuity.  It's a fixed number that has already been applied to your booking.  I'll defer to our forum expert (that Jenner guy from across the pond) to explain the dining stuff.

Not sure I qualify as an expert, but I’ll have a go. 🙂

Drinks package: the gratuity of based on the cost of the package and, as stated above the cost should already be on your booking. I understand that all passengers qualify for this in the US at the moment so if there are multiple people 21+ on the booking then it will be a big number. Personal circumstances obviously come into whether it is worth it or not, and if some people don’t drink then it may not be worth it.

Dining: In the a la carte places you can basically order what you like. You are limited to one entree in most places (This is the stated rule in Cagneys and Le Bistro). Other than that you can order apps, sides and desserts as you like and the cost will be zeroed off,

Occasionally people are told by their servers that other courses are limited but that isn’t the case. For most people whatever they order will be covered.

There are a few entree dishes which are subject to a surcharge if you are using the dining plan. I’m not up to date with the current menus so couldn’t say what dishes they are or in which restaurants, but they will be marked in the menus.

As for reservations, as above, just book for 4 and you will be fine. A party of 3 or 4 would use the same table anyway so it doesn’t make any difference.

If people in your party are not big drinkers, you probably have the option of removing the drink package, but I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you would have to remove the package from all guests.

Look at the gratuity amount.  I think it averages out to around 3 drinks a day per person.  If you'll be drinking less than that or only getting sodas, then the package may not be worth it to your group.  You can just pay for individual drinks.

49 minutes ago, goldmom said:

If people in your party are not big drinkers, you probably have the option of removing the drink package, but I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you would have to remove the package from all guests.

Look at the gratuity amount.  I think it averages out to around 3 drinks a day per person.  If you'll be drinking less than that or only getting sodas, then the package may not be worth it to your group.  You can just pay for individual drinks.

Even soda adds up pretty quickly…$20 pppd is a low bar. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Missheo said:

Hello,

This is our first time sailing with NCL, we will be sailing on the NCL - Bliss to Mexican Riveria over the Christmas Holiday. I booked this today and we got a bunch of freebie. I am not sure if is a good thing or a bad thing, still trying to figure it out and needed help.

Premium Package  Drink - I understand 20% gratuity will be added but is this per drink when we ordered or the whole package. Some of us in the booking doesn't drink alcoholic drinks, so if were to be charged for the whole package instead of per drink it is not really a freebie than. Am I right?

2 Meal Dining Package - Most of the place is a la carte, can we ordered whatever we like on the menu or is there a price limit per room or per guest?

I made reservation in one of the restaurant, but would like to change it to another one, how  or where do you navigate it on the apps to cancel and rebook? 

There are 3 of us, but every reservation in the specialty restaurant the option are 2, 4, or 6. If I booked 4, will I be charged for 1 extra?

Thank you,

Tibby

Premium Drink Package - For a Christmas booking you should have already been either required to pay the gratuity at the time of booking or have the package removed from your reservation to avoid the gratuity. Check your reservation. For a 7-day cruise, that would be $136.60 per person or $19.80 per person per day. If you have a few drinks a day who's value exceeds $19.80 per day, it's worth it to keep this package.

2 Meal Dining - The two meal dining package applies to the first two passengers. Some people buy a one two-meal dining package add-on for the third passenger if they are an adult or just pay a la carte. Look at the menus to calculate the savings. Pre-purchasing a package saves you a marginal amount depending on the restaurant and you risk losing you're money if you change your mind and decide on dining in the main dining room or buffet more often. In some restaurants, you are entitled to an appetizer, main course and dessert. Some items on the menu have an up charge. For example: The 16 oz ribeye at Cagney's is included.  The two pound tomahawk steak has an up charge. Other restaurants, you get a fixed credit off your bill.

Reservations - You reserve a table for four and only pay for those who are actually dining. Tables have seating and place settings for multiples of two people.  You sit at at a table for four and they take away one place setting.

Edited by kylenyc

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Reservation changes need to be done over the phone I believe.

2 hours ago, Pebbs48 said:

Or visit the reservations desk once you get on board. 

And is simply unnecessary in this instance.  No need to stress over updating the reservation to reflect only 3 people.  When I sailed in Oct. 2019 the host at Le Bistro asked about the 4th guest, when we replied that there were only 3 and commented that we had considered updating it they said it wasn't needed as we'd get the same size table as @kylenyc noted....

33 minutes ago, hallux said:

And is simply unnecessary in this instance.  No need to stress over updating the reservation to reflect only 3 people.  When I sailed in Oct. 2019 the host at Le Bistro asked about the 4th guest, when we replied that there were only 3 and commented that we had considered updating it they said it wasn't needed as we'd get the same size table as @kylenyc noted....

We were referring to the one she wanted to change:

"I made reservation in one of the restaurant, but would like to change it to another one, how  or where do you navigate it on the apps to cancel and rebook?" 

Thank you everyone. Yes I see the gratuity, but I thought it was the prepaid gratuity of the daily charges. I didn't know it was for the drink package. Does the drink package include specialty coffee? Two out of 3 of us are not alcoholic drinker drinks. 

Thank you for all your replies.

3 minutes ago, Missheo said:

Does the drink package include specialty coffee? Two out of 3 of us are not alcoholic drinker drinks. 

Thank you for all your replies.

Unfortunately, no, the standard drink package that NCL offers as part of the Free at Sea promotion does not include specialty coffee beverages, and is limited to drinks listed at $15 or less.  If you order a more expensive drink you will be charged for the difference above $15, plus a 20% gratuity on that price difference.  NCL does, however, also offer an upgraded drink package which covers specialty coffee and more expensive drinks.  Check the details for your cruise on the NCL website to find the additional cost of the upgraded drink package.  It sometimes also is possible to order a specialty coffee with your meal in either the MDR or a specialty restaurant and not be charged extra for it.

Also if you want one of the premium spirits, You just put the price difference 

it’s a great way to enjoy some truly top quality liquor.

also remember. Cash is king. If you want to tip(and I encourage you do) tip in cash. Any tip that goes on the card/receipt paper goes to a greater pool and not to the person you are tipping.

I usually find my one or two people

right away in the cruise and tip them in cash up front and go back to them rest of cruise. 

15 hours ago, goldmom said:

If you have the FAS drink package you do NOT have to buy the package for the rest of your cabin.  The 'everyone must have it' is only for purchased drink packages.  Just set your 1st and 2nd to the people who do drink (or drink the most).

51 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

If you have the FAS drink package you do NOT have to buy the package for the rest of your cabin.  The 'everyone must have it' is only for purchased drink packages.  Just set your 1st and 2nd to the people who do drink (or drink the most).

That is different to what is being discussed here.

The point being made is that you can’t just select the free at sea beverage package for just some people. Either nobody gets it or all who qualify do. That is certainly the case when it just refers to the first two people on the booking (you can’t take it for guest 1 but not for guest 2), but as I understand it the current offer is for the beverage package to apply to everyone on the booking and I’m not sure whether it can be rejected for certain people in this case. My guess is that the rule still applies and either everyone or no one gets it.

8 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Thank you for the clarification!