Water & Ice

dbljt6851

I have a thermos water bottle and am wondering if I can get free ice on board then just fill my bottle with tap water.

I drink a lot of water and I don't want to buy a drink package. I'll be on Explorer of the Seas.

Edited by dbljt6851

16 minutes ago, dbljt6851 said:

I have a thermos water bottle and am wondering if I can get free ice on board then just fill my bottle with tap water.

I drink a lot of water and I don't want to buy a drink package. I'll be on Explorer of the Seas.

Ah - one of the finer points of “nickel/diming” passengers: charging for water!

Tap water on any cruise ship is free (and probably better in taste and freedom from “stuff” than many municipal water supplies at home.

That said, just ask you cabin steward for ice and fill away (though depending on the type of fixture in your cabin’s head, it may be challenging. But, there should be all sorts of places throughout the ship where appropriate tap water dispensers are located.

Since drinking water is obviously important to you: As you plan your next cruise, consider lines that include things like water, non-alcoholic beverages, internet, specialty restaurants, (even air fare or an air credit) in their pricing. Depending on what you need and want from a cruise, you’ll quickly learn that comparing the “bottom line” is far more useful than comparing just the cabin price.

You will find many onboard carrying insulated bottles.  Ice and water are available in the buffet area, as well as ice from your cabin steward.  A wide mouth bottle works best, as you might get crushed ice in the buffet area, but usually cubes from your steward.  You can also ask for ice at any bar.  EM

Cruise Lines do not typically like cruisers to directly fill their Water Bottles directly from the Ice/Water machines in the Lido (Buffet area) (Too easy to touch your infested bottle to the common dispenser). Using a glass to transfer from the machine to your bottle is the accepted approach. Last cruise I have been on, they had a server at the Ice Tea/Water/Ice dispenser handling that (keeping the great unwashed masses away from the dispensers), but they took my water bottle and iced/watered it up with a smile. 

Yes - as noted above, Filling a water bottle from the cabin bathroom faucet is...difficult. And I "think" there is even more filtering in the Lido dispensers in any case.

Edited by RGEDad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RGEDad said:

Cruise Lines do not typically like cruisers to directly fill their Water Bottles directly from the Ice/Water machines in the Lido (Buffet area) (Too easy to touch your infested bottle to the common dispenser). Using a glass to transfer from the machine to your bottle is the accepted approach. Last cruise I have been on, they had a server at the Ice Tea/Water/Ice dispenser handling that (keeping the great unwashed masses away from the dispensers), but they took my water bottle and iced/watered it up with a smile. 

Yes - as noted above, Filling a water bottle from the cabin bathroom faucet is...difficult. And I "think" there is even more filtering in the Lido dispensers in any case.

Last cruise we were on (February 2020), our preferred line had started using the Vero water purification system for their always complimentary in-cabin bottled water as well as in all food service areas. However, for excursions (or just leaving the ship), they were still providing plastic bottles of water.

That said, it is my understanding that when we restart cruising with them this coming January, they’ll be in phase two of this Vero project - distributing personal refillable Vero water bottles (instead of disposable pre-filled plastic ones). Nice that you won’t have to pack one.

21 hours ago, dbljt6851 said:

I have a thermos water bottle 

Good advice have been posted by others.  You don't need to take a thermos water bottle.  As has been pointed out, ships have one that you can buy on board that will have the cruise lines logo on it.  It makes a nice souvenir of your cruise and can be re-used at home or on other cruises, if you wish.  

I think some of us forget that this kind of question is being asked by a possible first time cruiser going on an unknown line.  So we will give you generic information that is applicable to nearly all cruise lines.  The tap water on cruise ships is certainly drinkable but the taste varies from excellent to much less than excellent.  But all the lines have what many of us call "Lido Buffets" which is a large buffet restaurant that is open during much of the day (and even night on some lines).  In those Lidos there are always water and ice dispensers and the normal is that the lines use filters (I assume they are generally activated charcoal) to improve the taste.  We have been on over 65 different ships and the water in the Lido on all those ships has been fine.   So yes, you can get ice and water in the Lido and it is always free.  But post COVID some of the cruise lines have restricted passenger access to these self service things so it might possibly (depending on the cruise line) involve asking a staff person for some help.  But again, your wish will be granted and the cost will be zero.  One hint.  Ships also have gyms where passengers work-out.  Those gyms always have a free water supply that is also good to drink although you may or may not find ice in that venue.  But you will not go thirsty, you will be in good company carrying your own cup, and you do not need to pay extra.   On the other hand, if you want to buy bottled water is is available and if you happen to have some kind of drink package (which has become very common these days) the bottled stuff should be free.

Hank

• Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 7:26 PM, rkacruiser said:

Good advice have been posted by others.  You don't need to take a thermos water bottle.  As has been pointed out, ships have one that you can buy on board that will have the cruise lines logo on it.  It makes a nice souvenir of your cruise and can be re-used at home or on other cruises, if you wish.  

But why buy one when the OP already has one and if they are asking from a sustainability perspective yes it is preferable to use a reusable bottle than a single use plastic bottle but buying a second when you don't need it is also creating unnecessary waste.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...