Skagway car rental

jsscuba2

I’m interested in renting a car in Skagway, but the only rental company I can find is Avis and the web site said no cars available. Does anyone know of another car rental place?

Edited by jsscuba2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, john2003 said:

I wonder if this is because in general rental companies have very few cars. Fleets were cut and now there is the chip shortage so difficult to rebuild.

Skagway Avis (and Alaska Avis) always seemed separate from the rest of Avis for the 48 states. Even before the car/chip shortage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Namvvet68 said:

Thanks, you just saved me $150. I had a green jeep reserved and with the insurance it was $450.

By the way the Avis Agency and DIY Jeeps(Green Jeeps) have the same phone no. and address.

You’re welcome!  We’ve done this before, and it’s super easy. I did buy any insurance they offered because then you don’t have to worry.   We had a sedan last time but this time reserved a small suv.  My husband is a fly fisherman and so he brings some gear and we stopped at the grocery store in town for lunch items and had the absolute best day!!!!  

4 hours ago, Namvvet68 said:

Thanks, you just saved me $150. I had a green jeep reserved and with the insurance it was $450.

By the way the Avis Agency and DIY Jeeps(Green Jeeps) have the same phone no. and address.

Oh and don’t forget to bring your passports because you’ll be driving into Canada.

Just now, Eaglecw said:

They've moved. They aren't at the Westmark Inn anymore. They are across Spring street, walk down 3rd street past the Westmark Inn and keep going until you can't go anymore. We've rented cars there numerous times. The last time they had a mileage restriction so you couldn't drive to Whitehorse.

I just rented a car from Avis for May 25th.  Current restrictions will not allow us to drive into Canada without a COVID test.  If these restrictions are still in place two months from now, I will likely order a home proctored test to take a day or two in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

The only real drive is to Carcross, Canada and Emerald Lake just beyond Carcross.  Beautiful country.   The railroad goes up one side of the canyon and the highway goes up the other.  We did not hike on the way to Carcross but did some around town and to the cemetery. 

The Avis site says you have unlimited mileage but other posters say you cannot go to Whitehorse, which is another 60 miles beyond Carcross.  We have never been there and want to do it this time if it is allowed.  Since you will be going into Canada, bring your passports.  Right now COVID tests are required for entry to Canada. Hoping that requirement will be eliminated before our trip.  

9 hours ago, Namvvet68 said:

The only real drive is to Carcross, Canada and Emerald Lake just beyond Carcross.  Beautiful country.   The railroad goes up one side of the canyon and the highway goes up the other.  We did not hike on the way to Carcross but did some around town and to the cemetery. 

The Avis site says you have unlimited mileage but other posters say you cannot go to Whitehorse, which is another 60 miles beyond Carcross.  We have never been there and want to do it this time if it is allowed.  Since you will be going into Canada, bring your passports.  Right now COVID tests are required for entry to Canada. Hoping that requirement will be eliminated before our trip.  

Yes!  This is exactly what we did!  We had a beautiful drive, stopped for picnicking, had ice cream in Carcross, went to a cool museum and held sled dog puppies. Emerald Lake is beautiful.  

Funny story! My kids were about 10 and 6 and hadn’t signed their passports (obviously).  The border agents on the way back in were hilarious! Making them get out of the car and do some funny oath, and exercises…. then had them sign their passports! It was a highlight! 

• Like 1