Formal attire for Christmas Sailing?

BarbandDaleT

I have convinced my husband to try Princess for a Christmas sailing this year.  He is not a lover of formal attire.  How formal will the formal nights be, and will it be more formal for a Christmas sailing?  Also, anywhere we can look up which nights will be formal?

In my experience, it's mostly just jackets, though you'll spot the occasional tuxedo. A decent chunk of business casual too.

They're always on sea days and, far as I've seen, never on the first or last nights. What route is it?

We've done several Christmas sailings.  On average I'd say folks do dress a bit more for Christmas and New Years eve.  Still, you'll see many, including me with slacks and a long sleeve (or if sailing to Hawaii an Aloha) shirt, sometimes a tie, often not.  

I've never once felt like an outlier though, yes, some do go all out with sparkle dresses and tuxes.  

In actual practice Princess leave you a lot or room to decide for yourself.   

We were on the Sky Princess over the Holidays in 2019. I'd say the formal nights were very fancy. I saw many long sparkling gowns on the ladies and quite a few gentlemen in jazzy suit jackets with some sporting colorful shoes too!  Many families, even with young kids, were in full formal attire. It was lovely to see!

To those of you who've cruised over Christmas, do they have formal night on Christmas Day, or just whichever sea day fits into the sailing? We did cruise over Thanksgiving and much more so than usual, men were in tuxes, suits, sportcoats and ties at Thanksgiving dinner. To the OP, it might make a difference to know.

• Like 1

I've given up on even wearing a jacket on formal evenings. Just a dress shirt & dress pants have been an accepted way of dressing on formal nights for years now.

It saves loads of room in the suitcase for something I used to wear only 2 times a few hours each time.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:38 PM, mtnesterz said:

To those of you who've cruised over Christmas, do they have formal night on Christmas Day, or just whichever sea day fits into the sailing?

I have seen it mostly on Xmas Day but sometimes in Xmas Eve instead.

I have also seen it sometimes as a surprise extra formal evening in addition to the ones usually scheduled for that week.

• Like 1