Favorite food in main dining room

stephensfamily5

41 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Liver & onions, cold soups, and bread pudding!

All of the above are on my favorite list.  The cold soups were always good, but are no longer are offered on my most recent HAL cruises.

7 hours ago, stephensfamily5 said:

Sounds yummy!

They are!   Add a side of bacon with a croissant and/or danish with some fruit before the crepes arrive, I won't need lunch.

11 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I also like the liver and onions on HAL!  People at our table think I am crazy when I order it. 

I do as well.  Their chefs do an excellent job with the preparation of Liver.

11 hours ago, trixiee said:

Escargot!

YES!  There is a difference in the preparation of Escargots in the various dining venues on the ships.  Sel de Mer serves them with the shells and a different sauce; the Pinnacle Grill serves them without the shells, but also with a different sauce; then, there is the MDR preparation:  no shells, different sauce.  All are delicious!  

Trying to deal with the shells in Sel de Mer with the utensil that is provided has always proved frustrating for me.  I end up using my fingers of one hand holding the shells while my other hand is using the small fork to get the critters out of their shell.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

Especially pea soup!

Also, try the pea soup at the Dutch Cafe (if you are on a pinnacle class)....It's very good....and had a nice sandwich to go with it at lunch at the Dutch Cafe on the Rotterdam.....

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 11:03 AM, rucrazy said:

Moo (any beef) and cold soups!

Cold soups are few and far between now.  My favorite on our last cruise on the NA was the onion soup.  Enjoyed it several evenings.  Have to say I was not impressed on the MDR menus this go round.😥

• Like 1

I harken back to the 80's and 90's on the Noordam III.  Formal night had caviar, escargot and a huge lobster tail.  As you walked in there was always an ice sculpture, and the finale was the Baked Alaska with Radinski's march.  Also they had flambe next to the table and a sting quartet roaming through the dinning rooms.  Those days are long gone.  --- pity 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Elbygina said:

Yay!!!  I think I will order two servings and have only that as my dinner.  I love it so much and cannot find it in most restaurants on land.

Check with your server. You may be able to get the escargot even when it is not listed on the menu.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 8:27 AM, Hlitner said:

I doubt you will be seeing King Crab Legs anytime soon.  We were in Wegman's the other day and two King Crab Legs were going for $75!  They looked temping but not that tempting :).   Cruise lines must all cope with the awful inflation in food products and unfortunately we are all going to find some MDR disappointments on any mass market line.

Hank

On the three-week repositioning from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale in Oct., the chef ordered 400 lbs. of lobster to be delivered to Aruba for our last Gala night--he said it cost him $40 per pound; in the past it had been $10 per pound!

By the way, we are sitting in the Lido on the NA at 6:00 a.m. this morning in San Juan Puerto Rico watching the sunrise--soooooo gorgeous over the clouds.

We'll have to look for the Swedish Pancakes--my mouth is watering.

I, too, miss the entree-sized salads at dinner, but I've been known to order two of their delicious nightly/different appetizer salads; they are always the last thing on the appetizer menu in the MDR--they are such a wonderful mix of flavors and textures..  Love this cruising; we are soooo lucky.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 5:37 PM, Elbygina said:

Will they have escargot on a seven-night cruise?  They used to but my most recent cruises pre-Covid did not have it.

We've had them the first gala night this week and last week on the NA.  I always enjoy them.  Plus we get two gala nights on the 7-day cruises.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

We'll have to look for the Swedish Pancakes

I highly recommend them.  They are delicious.  It's something that I can't get routinely.

20 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

escargot

The preparation of these critters differs from dining room to dining room.  The MDR preparation differs from the Pinnacle Grill which differs from Rudi's Sel de Mer.  All are very, very good.