Reporting from RCI’s triumphal return to the Mexican Riviera - Navigator Nov. 17 - 24

Happyreb

My family and I have been greatly enjoying this getaway.  Thanks to many past recommendations from others on this board, we are in an aft JS - 1694 - and we adore it.  The balcony is HUGE - basically like having a second room.  Can highly recommend on any Voyager ship.   We are on deck 10 - which has a slightly less obstructed view than 7 or 8, I believe.   I will post pics later today.  For now, I wanted to assure everyone that Navigator’s return to service has been absolutely successful and delightful.   This is our first sail in Voyager class - our previous two ships were Harmony and Anthem.  I LOVE both those ships and was really concerned that I wouldn’t want enjoy a smaller ship with fewer activities.  I get bored and restless easily.  Thankfully, the 2019 amplification addressed this issue pretty well.  The water slides (a personal favorite) are clean, charming and fun.   Long enough to be satisfying.  Also, we appear to be sailing at about 60% capacity - which is once-in-a-lifetime GREAT!  No lines for anything.

Since RCI hasn’t sailed to these ports in over a decade, I wanted to say that they are all charming and worth your time.  Cabo San Lucas has incredible fishing and water sports, as well as very friendly people.  In Mazatlan, we hired a cab to show us around and visit the sights with us.  He was VERY friendly and helpful.  It’s an easy city to explore on your own; but hiring a driver for the day is inexpensive and makes it easier to see more.  The crown jewel, IMHO, is Puerta Vallerta.   WOW is it BEAUTIFUL, clean and safe.  Huge expat community and we felt as though we started making new friends the second we stepped off the boat.  Once again, super easy to explore on your own; but we hired a driver for a couple of hours to help us explore the sights at our own pace and in the order of our own choosing.  We will definitely be back to explore this city in more detail.  Don’t listen to the “don’t get off the boat in Mexico” crowd!  The people are friendly and SO happy to see RCI return.   It felt safer and cleaner than where we live in the USA, honestly.

Typing this in the Diamond Lounge which is smaller, but very quiet and well attended.  Feel blessed to have access to this quiet little corner of the ship.  Masks aren’t required in here because they serve food and it is a vaccinated only space.  Honestly, given that you don’t need a mask in your cabin, on deck or in any eating/drinking establishment, I feel like I am barely ever wearing the mask.  Maybe just in the hallways or the occasional show?  It’s a tot non-issue.

Pics to follow.  Happy to answer questions.  RCI rules.  

• Like 6

Sail Away Day - Port of Los Angeles.  The cruise terminal in LA could use some love.  Don’t expect something equivalent to what you might find in Florida; but it’s functional and gets the job done.  More importantly, Royal had their team VERY well organized and check in was a breeze.  We flew through baggage drop off and the check-in in about 10 minutes max.  I was pretty concerned given all of the additional paperwork and precautions that are required; but no worries.  If you have all of your documents ready, you’ll be on the ship before you know it.  Inaugural sailing (though there was a media sailing a few days earlier) so cabins were available immediately.  Certainly our easiest boarding procedure to date.

On 11/24/2021 at 12:55 PM, rockmom said:

Looking forward to pictures, we are booked in 1394 in February, I do love those aft JS/balconies on deck 10.  

Do you deck 10 folks find you have noise from the Windjammer overhead? I normally try to avoid being under public spaces but love the aft balcony jr. suite & would enjoy it even more if the view is a bit better at that level. Thanks!

Karen

7 minutes ago, behrsmom said:

Do you deck 10 folks find you have noise from the Windjammer overhead? I normally try to avoid being under public spaces but love the aft balcony jr. suite & would enjoy it even more if the view is a bit better at that level. Thanks!

Karen

I have been in an aft balcony on Explorer (so, sister to Navigator) and we never heard anything from the windjammer.  I think you hear a lot more if you're under a kitchen area or serving area, but there are only some tables and chairs above you if you're in an aft balcony or JS.  

8 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I have been in an aft balcony on Explorer (so, sister to Navigator) and we never heard anything from the windjammer.  I think you hear a lot more if you're under a kitchen area or serving area, but there are only some tables and chairs above you if you're in an aft balcony or JS.  

That makes sense. Thanks so much for the info!

Edited by behrsmom
Typo

37 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Any restrictions on the ports in Mexico.  I saw a video from a Carnival poster last week and they went everywhere with out any restrictions or masks. We are booked for Jan. 10th. 

We sailed Oct 30 - 7 day Mexico - had to wear mask in ports and they took temperature. Other than that no restrictions

On 11/24/2021 at 11:28 AM, Happyreb said:

The crown jewel, IMHO, is Puerta Vallerta.   WOW is it BEAUTIFUL, clean and safe.  Huge expat community and we felt as though we started making new friends the second we stepped off the boat.  Once again, super easy to explore on your own; but we hired a driver for a couple of hours to help us explore the sights at our own pace and in the order of our own choosing.  

Pics to follow.  Happy to answer questions.  RCI rules.  

Did you find a driver right outside when you got off the ship at the port or did you book with one beforehand?  We would like to hire a driver also when we are there in January to drive us around.  We want to explore there and check out Sayulita for a wedding destination.  And may I ask how/what do they charge for a few hours of taking you around.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

We'll be on the Jan 17th sailing (my birthday). We also love the true afts but in a GS this sailing.

So excited to have RCI back sailing from San Pedro and will easily drive to the port. We've done this itinerary with RCI many many times...can't wait !!

The 7 nighter has an amazing itinerary Cabo, Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta that includes three sea days...just perfect.