Wheelchair assist info needed.

sassy~one

Hi there, I'm sailing with a friend who will need wheelchair assist. We are being dropped off by a hotel van. What happens after we leave the van at the port? A mobility scooter has been rented and should be in our cabin.  We have been given a boarding time, but can not control the arrival time of the van. Thank you so much.  I'm so excited to get back on a ship.  Rotterdam b2b2b.

2 hours ago, OVgirl said:

Of you are boarding in FLL, you can get the scooter before going into the terminal. Makes boarding so much easier.

Based on the experience of a traveling companion, that is not so.  Her scooter was in our stateroom when we embarked.

37 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wheelchair is available at drop off. My sweet husband has his own. There are several volunteers to help you through check in. 

One needs to inform HAL that wheelchair assistance is required when one arrives at the Terminal.  Attempt to find a shore staff member when you arrive and ask for assistance.  That may help.  

I occasionally travel with my mother who uses a chair during travel.  Notify the airlines and the cruise line.  Everything should be in order and ready to go.  There will be a courtesy wheelchair 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

You must request wheelchair assistance with your reservation, or at least in advance of boarding. 
When the van drops you off, located a shoreside representative, let that person know you need a wheelchair, and wait for one to be brought to you. I have found that not getting out of the vehicle tends to speed things up. Otherwise, have the van bring to to someplace where you can sit and wait. It can take a while, or be quick. Better to have a seat nearby. 

In the US, a shoreside rep. will bring the passenger to check-in, then there will be a waiting area for a ship steward to bring the wheelchair to get on board. People are embarked based on when they arrived; any priority boarding you are entitled to goes out the window. 
Once onboard, have the steward take you to the cabin. Don't get out of the chair until you are there (the voice of experience).

The scooter may, or may not, be in the cabin when you arrive. I've had it happen both ways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't want to look like I'm disagreeing with you but our experience was different.

In 2018 and 2019 we sailed on NS and Koningsdam out of Fort Lauderdale. We rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea and when I spoke to them to book it we were given the option of picking it up outside the terminal as well as dropping it off there. Actually when we disembarked the agent came up to us and said that we could just leave the scooter by the curb when we got in our taxi.

I called to reserve it, I didn't do it online.

Perhaps that is not always the case but it was very convenient. 

Edited by OVgirl

12 hours ago, OVgirl said:

I don't want to look like I'm disagreeing with you but our experience was different.

You were fortunate to have such a smooth (dis)embarkation, as far as the scooter goes. I hope the OP has as good an experience. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone.  I'm using Special needs at sea, and the scooter will be in the cabin.  I will let the hotel van folks know before we get to the port, it seems like once the hotel van guy called to be met with a wheelchair.  Thanks again. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 1:25 PM, sassy~one said:

Hi there, I'm sailing with a friend who will need wheelchair assist. We are being dropped off by a hotel van. What happens after we leave the van at the port? A mobility scooter has been rented and should be in our cabin.  We have been given a boarding time, but can not control the arrival time of the van. Thank you so much.  I'm so excited to get back on a ship.  Rotterdam b2b2b.

I forgot to let them know I would need a wheelchair but when I got there and told them, they brought one right out!!

16 hours ago, OVgirl said:

In 2018 and 2019 we sailed on NS and Koningsdam out of Fort Lauderdale. We rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea and when I spoke to them to book it we were given the option of picking it up outside the terminal as well as dropping it off there. Actually when we disembarked the agent came up to us and said that we could just leave the scooter by the curb when we got in our taxi.

I called to reserve it, I didn't do it online.

This is absolutely correct (pre-covid of course). You should see a table/tent if you reserved from Special Needs at Sea at the HAL terminal at Port Everglades. My recommendation, if the scooter was arranged thru Special Needs at Sea, is to call them and confirm where the scooter will be

(800) 513-4515

www.specialneedsatsea.com

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OVgirl said:

Being able to get the scooter from their outdoor setup gives you the independence right away.

I would find it a Godsend! Being able to get to lunch as soon as I dropped off my carry-ons in the cabin, and straightened the desk a little, would be wonderful. 
But then the question would be how to drive and get the carry-ons to come along. Is there assistance for that? 

• Like 1

Generally speaking:

Longshore workers are not allowed inside the cruise terminal passenger area during embarkation.

Shoreside staff are not allowed to assist with guest's luggage..... either inside or outside

Ship staff cannot exit the terminal (wheelchair assist or luggage) 

A solo ADA traveler has these obstacles with which to contend.  As much as you can package for the porters will help, and expedited individual direct service is available upon request for medical equipment.

Most frequently, a travel companion will provide help with an extra carry-on bag, oxygen tank or concentrator, roller bag, etc. that won't fit on your lap or can be draped over the back of your scooter or in the basket on the front.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

5 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Shoreside staff are not allowed to assist with guest's luggage..... either inside or outside

This has not been my experience in Port Everglades, January, 2020 or in Port of Miami, January 2020.  

Shoreside staff wheeled me and my luggage from Terminal 4 where the Volendam docked to the taxi line for that Terminal so that I could get to my car parked in the Mid-Port Parking Garage.  The taxi driver assisted me in getting the luggage into the car.  (I was pleasantly surprised that the taxi took me directly to where my car was parked!) 

Port of Miami:  The MSC shoreside gentleman engaged a Porter who then found my luggage and wheeled me to Garage J where my car was parked, unloaded me and my luggage and put the luggage in my car.

Port Everglades:  after disembarking the Eurodam in January, 2020, the shoreside gentleman repeated my experience in Miami.  Porter was engaged, luggage collected, and I was taken to my car in the Mid-Port Parking Garage with the luggage being loaded into the car.