Royal's ships 2023/24

The Chinese central government has just lifted the ban on cruise ships for Hong Kong and Shanghai.

There’s not much news out there but Royal should be at the starting gate with Spectrum , Wonder and /or Utopia .

https://www.chinatravelnews.com/article/169282

https://www.china-briefing.com/news/china-travel-restrictions-2021-2022-an-explainer-updated/

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 11:47 AM, arxcards said:

Panama Canal is no longer a restriction, but size certainly matters in some of the smaller US ports.

Vision class at 25 yrs+ is even old by Aussie standards. Even 2/3 rds of P&O's ships are newer. I thought Rhapsody was a nice ship - 14 years ago.

I loved Rhapsody of the Seas when it did a charter from Honolulu to Sydney in 2017.  I thought it was a beautiful ship then,   I didn't receive any special offers for future cruises on the ship.  However, I regularly received offers from ships I hadn't cruised on,  

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The Chinese central government has just lifted the ban on cruise ships for Hong Kong and Shanghai.

There’s not much news out there but Royal should be at the starting gate with Spectrum , Wonder and /or Utopia .

https://www.china-briefing.com/news/china-travel-restrictions-2021-2022-an-explainer-updated/

Thanks Chilli.

It will be interesting to see how Royal play this one.

Utopia straight to China or Utopia work Wonder cruises would be the most likely thing I can see happening in 2024.

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Hey Chilli, 

Thx for sharing.  
Are there any concrete announcements?   I did a quick search but didn’t turn up anything.  

2 hours ago, geoff2802 said:

Hey Chilli, 

Thx for sharing.  
Are there any concrete announcements?   I did a quick search but didn’t turn up anything.  

Not much to talk about as is was just announced. Anything is possible with China though , they change like the wind.

I believe Royal has been constantly engaged with Hong Kong to start Spectrum  early next year.
I will keep trawling and you will be the first to know.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The Icon class ships hold 7500 pax at full capacity, ye gods, not for me. 2400 crew that is nearly 10,000 people on a ship. Hope they have ample life boats!

I hope it won't be one of those ships where they speak a lot of different languages!  

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The Icon class ships hold 7500 pax at full capacity, ye gods, not for me. 2400 crew that is nearly 10,000 people on a ship. Hope they have ample life boats!

Do your maths there uncle Les . 7500 passengers, 1 in 100 passengers are cougars . ??? !!!
I don’t think ever you could keep up .

Edited by Chiliburn

On 12/16/2022 at 6:01 PM, MMDown Under said:

I loved Rhapsody of the Seas when it did a charter from Honolulu to Sydney in 2017.  I thought it was a beautiful ship then,   I didn't receive any special offers for future cruises on the ship.  However, I regularly received offers from ships I hadn't cruised on,  

It was a much nicer ship prior to then. It was the "ship of light", but they surrounded the atrium with extra cabins.

Still a nice ship, but an age that regular crossings to Noumea and the across the Tasman are a bit much.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It was a much nicer ship prior to then. It was the "ship of light", but they surrounded the atrium with extra cabins.

Still a nice ship, but an age that regular crossings to Noumea and the across the Tasman are a bit much.

I wonder if they will stop spoiling old ships, by adding extra cabins etc., now that it is harder to fill all the big ships post covid.  I love small ships, but I also love old ships with wrap around promenade decks with deck chairs.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

A article with are fair bit from Angie Stephens (RC Asian manager) ,hoping to bring Icon to Asia ??
Also TUI home porting in Singapore.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/tips-advice/destinations/lines-like-celebrity-cruises-and-msc-return-to-asia-but-one-player-is-pulling-out-of-the-region/

I thought Singapore was Oasis ready when it opened late May 2012. That’s what they were telling people. 

15 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

I wouldn't get too excited, the same sort of page comes up when you click on Perth. Probably just a starting point on a round Australia or world cruise segment.

Probably starting the hype for release of 2024-2025 season.

When is that out March-April?

44 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Probably starting the hype for release of 2024-2025 season.

When is that out March-April?

Someone asked at Captains Corner re ship for Melbourne and the answer was definitely no. Same question asked and same answer for Oasis class ships …definitely no.

2 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Someone asked at Captains Corner re ship for Melbourne and the answer was definitely no. Same question asked and same answer for Oasis class ships …definitely no.

The Melbourner’s are pretty pushy at those Captain corners aren’t they .

Not that I have much confidence in that captain as that Irish hotel manager seems to answer all the questions.

But Melbourne and Oasis won’t be happening for a while.

As the Hotel manager said ,they don’t have the on shore service in Melbourne like Carnival at the moment.

2 hours ago, bretts173 said:

I wouldn't get too excited, the same sort of page comes up when you click on Perth. Probably just a starting point on a round Australia or world cruise segment.

Agreed. That page has been around for some time. Just a varied hop-on/hop-off point for a limited amount of passengers on their around Oz sailings.