Planning for worst case scenario - FAO Molecrochip

Cathygh

Ok so I hope for the best and plan for the worst. I am hoping Molecrochip can answer this, as it's an easy situation to speculate about but in this case I think facts will help.

So I am sailing to the Canaries in the New Year. Worst case scenario- someone is asymptomatic for Omicron when taking the pre boarding lft. So Omicron could potenetially spread widely through out the ship (passengers and crew) quite quickly. Do P&O/Cunard have a plan in place to manage this scenario and if so what is it? 

Thank you

22 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Ok so I hope for the best and plan for the worst. I am hoping Molecrochip can answer this, as it's an easy situation to speculate about but in this case I think facts will help.

So I am sailing to the Canaries in the New Year. Worst case scenario- someone is asymptomatic for Omicron when taking the pre boarding lft. So Omicron could potenetially spread widely through out the ship (passengers and crew) quite quickly. Do P&O/Cunard have a plan in place to manage this scenario and if so what is it? 

Thank you

I think every cruise line will have an action plan in place, but I very much doubt that any of them will make the plan available to the general public.  

We should have been going this Friday but we both tested positive on Monday.

I just thought I had a bit of a cold on Saturday and an LFT was negative but by Monday morning I felt dreadful and a 5.15 am LFT proved positive for both of us followed by a confirmation PCR.

We are now sitting here wondering where Christmas has gone

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think every cruise line will have an action plan in place, but I very much doubt that any of them will make the plan available to the general public.  

All changing so fast wowzz

Planning anything pretty impossible right now

I remember on the summer staycation on Britannia lots of things changed at short notice.  Entertainment cancelled, no staff to help book next cruise etc

And that was summer when covid was pretty much under control

Wouldn't envy cruise lines trying to make plans for anything with this situation developing so fast

36 minutes ago, Lisashusband said:

I just thought I had a bit of a cold on Saturday and an LFT was negative but by Monday morning I felt dreadful and a 5.15 am LFT proved positive for both of us followed by a confirmation PCR.

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope P&O have helped with rebooking or are you just waiting with FCC?

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Where have you been ICF, a visit to the naughty step perhaps?😁

No worst I've had to date is a post removed ! No bans for me yet !

I've had a busy couple of weeks at work

So want to have a holiday in New Year John but seriously doubting there's going to be much viable by then

What do you reckon?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Thank you for your kind words Megabear.

Everyone from CPS to P&O were fantastic when I had to phone them yesterday, full refund on my parking and full value FCC to go towards next year’s cruise’s.

Everybody was extremely helpful and that fact alone took an awful lot of pressure off us at what right now is proving to be a very challenging time.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Lisashusband said:

Everyone from CPS to P&O were fantastic when I had to phone them yesterday, full refund on my parking and full value FCC to go towards next year’s cruise’s.

Everybody was extremely helpful and that fact alone took an awful lot of pressure off us at what right now is proving to be a very challenging time.

Get well soon!

16 minutes ago, Lisashusband said:

Hope you feel better soon.

Take care 

36 minutes ago, Lisashusband said:

So sorry to hear this and I hope you are on the mend now x

38 minutes ago, Lisashusband said:

That’s good to hear that CPS and P&O have been so helpful (as it should be).

But, I’m so sorry to hear you have had to cancel. I hope you are not feeling too horrid and will be better in a few days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lisashusband said:

Do you know if it's the new or old variant you have yet?

4 minutes ago, Dgtrainer99 said:

What are the options if the imminent cruises are cancelled, as we fear they will be?

I wish they would hurry up and make a decision we are going to Southampton tomorrow for Friday sailing 😞x

3 hours ago, PEMCO007 said:

I wish they would hurry up and make a decision we are going to Southampton tomorrow for Friday sailing 😞x

So do I. I am due to fly out in January to join Azura and was really looking forward to my first cruise - indeed, holiday - for 2 years. I have already booked my PCR test for Barbados entry! But recent developments give me cause to wonder whether the cruise will go ahead. If we are to believe what we are told, Omicron is extremely infectious and is resistent to two doses of vaccine. So the requirement that all passengers be double jabbed will be ineffective in preventing infection onboard.  A booster jab gives a good level of protection, but will P&O and other lines introduce a retrospective requirement that all passengers have had a booster? To do so would inevitably lead to mass cancellations, but not to do so risks a signifificant oubreak onboard. We live in intersting times!

3 hours ago, Dgtrainer99 said:

What are the options if the imminent cruises are cancelled, as we fear they will be?

If the government are not shutting hotels, pubs, restaurants etc, why do you think they would decide to stop cruises ? 

Absolutely illogical to do so. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Denarius said:

So do I. I am due to fly out in January to join Azura and was really looking forward to my first cruise - indeed, holiday - for 2 years. I have already booked my PCR test for Barbados entry! But recent developments give me cause to wonder whether the cruise will go ahead. If we are to believe what we are told, Omicron is extremely infectious and is resistent to two doses of vaccine. So the requirement that all passengers be double jabbed will be ineffective in preventing infection onboard.  A booster jab gives a good level of protection, but will P&O and other lines introduce a retrospective requirement that all passengers have had a booster? To do so would inevitably lead to mass cancellations, but not to do so risks a signifificant oubreak onboard. We live in intersting times!

The UK government has absolutely no jurisdiction over Azura when she is in foreign waters.

Personally, with all the testing, I think you will be safer onboard than in your local Asda !  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy days!  Just had our pre departure negative PCR tests back from Boots, all paperwork now ready and we are set fair for Barbados tomorrow.  Definitely think the ship is going to be safer than being here over Christmas.  If the worst happens and the islands shut us out Britannia will make a very comfortable home in the sun!  Only worry now is avoiding everyone at Gatwick overnight.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Happy days!  Just had our pre departure negative PCR tests back from Boots, all paperwork now ready and we are set fair for Barbados tomorrow.  Definitely think the ship is going to be safer than being here over Christmas.  If the worst happens and the islands shut us out Britannia will make a very comfortable home in the sun!  Only worry now is avoiding everyone at Gatwick overnight.

Hope you have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Denarius said:

A serious problem for the cruise industry as the ships are an ideal environment for spreading disease. 

They could insist on a valid booster jab but that would mean many thousands could not cruise. On the other hand  2 doses of vaccine gives very low protection against the omicron variant, approaching zero protection for two doses of Astro Zeneca which could mean hundreds if not thousands of passengers catching omicron from a small number of infected people. This would overwhelm onboard isolation capacity. Also it appears a booster the protection levels still drop from the low 90%'s to the low 70 %'s so there is still the likelihood of more infection aboard. Will they end up cancelling cruises?

Omicron reported as giving less severe disease does not matter. A report in The Telegraph quotes the results of a large South African study which says Omicron produces 23% less hospitalisations than the Delta variant. The good part is the very large drop in intensive care cases. That is a still a large number given the possibility of enormous numbers of infections.

What do I do. Take the advice to prioritise my social interactions so I enjoy a better xmas than last year. Plus continue to make the preparations for my January cruise with the expectation that it may well be cancelled. If it goes ahead I will travel but expect a very empty ship?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Enjoy and stay safe! We are going Friday and still feeling uneasy, however I do appreciate you putting my mind at ease by asking the questions we wanted answering earlier on. x

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Latest info on fb is that there are only about 750 passengers booked on the Xmas cruise, so it will be quiet, but you should get very pampered.

• Like 2