Increase in Covid cases

tjcletzgo

Is the United cancellations of Christmas Eve flights are more examples of things to come?  It might be alot harder to go on a cruise if you have to fly to your embarkation port with greater uncertainty.  Cruiselines may have to supply covid tests before boarding.

• Like 1

Just now, deadzone1003 said:

Is the United cancellations of Christmas Eve flights are more examples of things to come?  It might be alot harder to go on a cruise if you have to fly to your embarkation port with greater uncertainty.  Cruiselines may have to supply covid tests before boarding.

For the next month or two, most likely.  The flight situation will get worse before it gets better.  Especially if quarantine for vaccinated flight cruise remains 10 days without being able to shorten it with 2 negative tests 24 hour apart.

6 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

I hope they do!

4 hours ago, dockman said:

Don't think a cruise to nowhere is permitted by law...must hit foreign port unless somehow get an exemption.

Maybe they can dock, but not let any passengers off?  I don't know.  I think under these type of conditions there are always exceptions of exemptions.

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

I believe if a ship doesn't dock at a foreign port, a cruise to nowhere is valid from the USA.

There used to be cruises to nowhere.  Then there the CBP changed their stance on the law.  Basically for a cruise line to do a cruise to nowhere the crew would need US work Visas, follow US employment/tax law and the revenue from the cruises would be subject to US taxes.

At that point the cruise lines stopped doing cruises to nowhere.

To avoid all of the above the cruises need to stop at at least one foreign port where passengers can disembark, a technical stop is not enough (another ruling made about the same time).

9 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I had to check to see if what you wrote was written by me! I'm maybe on that same cruise, sails 28 Feb 2022? 🙄

I have the same concerns and questions as you. Princess Standard Cancellation Policy is HERE. Did you get the Princess Vacation Protection insurance?  There is a clause in there concerning canceling for any reason. My understanding is that if you cancel for any reason, the optional PVP pays the amount you'd otherwise forfeit <above> as a FCC which musts be used on a cruise sailing NLT 31 Dec 2022, and that cruise needs to be booked by 15 Apr 2022. The FCC cannot be used as the deposit for that cruise.

My wife is reluctant to cancel at this time, so I'm no doing anything at least for a while. My issue with the FCC is we already have cruises scheduled from July 2022 until the end of the year, so our schedule doesn't have many places where we can schedule a replacement cruise. So, it's likely a FCC will end up no being used....money down the drain.😪

Doug

Didnt Princess just change the policy so FCC can be used to pay off  an existing cruise, such that you could pay off one of those already booked?  Unless of course they are already paid with FCC from previously cancelled cruises.  Oh how complicated it all is these days!!

14 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Didnt Princess just change the policy so FCC can be used to pay off  an existing cruise, such that you could pay off one of those already booked?  Unless of course they are already paid with FCC from previously cancelled cruises.  Oh how complicated it all is these days!!

Merry Christmas!

I don't know, but that's the first I've heard that. Early next week I will start the cancellation process for our February 2022 cruise. We have only Celebrity cruises on our schedule the rest of 2022, so I could not use the FCC for an existing reservation anyway.

Doug

On 12/24/2021 at 7:47 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

My issue with the FCC is we already have cruises scheduled from July 2022 until the end of the year, so our schedule doesn't have many places where we can schedule a replacement cruise. So, it's likely a FCC will end up no being used....money down the drain.😪

As long as you have not already paid in full Princess cruises you have scheduled later in 2022, you can apply the FCC to them. It does not require a new booking to use it.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

As long as you have not already paid in full Princess cruises you have scheduled later in 2022, you can apply the FCC to them. It does not require a new booking to use it.

Thanks, but unfortunately the cruises I have scheduled the rest of the year are not with Princess, but with Celebrity.  That is great information for others however, thanks.

Doug