Ultimate Balcony Dinner

Nashna

One of the highlights of our last Princess cruise was experiencing the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on the Royal.  We stayed in a forward corner Mini-Suite and had dinner on the large balcony. Our late departure from St. Thomas made for a delighful dinner with amazing views of the twinkling port lights..  We booked another dinner for our January cruise when we booked the cruise last March.  Shortly after we booked that dinner, the option to reserve the UBD disappeared from the Speciality Restaurant options.  The Ultimate Balcony Breakfast is still listed, just not the dinner.  Our reservation still shows confirmed.  Does anyone know if they are still doing those dinners or why they are no longer listed?

The UBD was not available on Majestic in late October but never confirmed the reason posted on this board that it was to minimize crew exposure. During several UBDs crew was never inside for long but maybe they’re concerned about the total time of exposure & not the brief time to deliver drinks & courses. Looking forward to it’s resumption because we enjoy having the UBD when having a balcony cabin.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, suekel said:

I had read somewhere that they are not due to low staffing levels.  

I’ve also read that reason however with a much lower passenger capacity including under 200 on some cruises with a full crew I’m skeptical if that is the reason why.

• Like 1

CS told me that the balcony breakfast and dinner were eliminated for the time being due to covid concerns.  They don’t want the staff to be in the room with you.

Only very brief periods, such as a quick room service.  😞

We sail in a month.  I'm surprised that the UBD is still showing on our reservation.  The UBB is still available to reserve under Speciality Dining.  I do understand the difference in service.  Our waiter was assigned to us for the entire dinner.  He remarked how much he enjoyed the slow pace and the ability to serve us on our very large balcony.  It was a georgeous night and we were outside the entire evening.  At this point, I don't expect the UBD to happen.  That will be ok. I'm going to be so happy just to be sailing again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

We sail in a month.  I'm surprised that the UBD is still showing on our reservation.  The UBB is still available to reserve under Speciality Dining.  I do understand the difference in service.

There is a significant difference in service between the UBB and the UBD.

The UBB is not much more than a room service delivery.  The entire breakfast is delivered at once.  The server may spend a few minutes setting up some space and opening the bottle of Champagne, but once he/she leaves there is no return.  My experience is that the server is in and out in about five minutes.

The UBD has two servers.  There is set-up for the table, then the photographer drops by and he/she is there for 10-15 minutes.  Then, for every course one or both of the servers is in the room.  There might be two visits--one to sweep away the previous course and one to present the next course.  There are ancillary functions such as opening the Champagne, removing lobster tails from their shells, pouring coffee.  Then, there will probably be a couple mid-course visits to see how things are proceeding and whether there are any requests.

That being said. Mrs. XBGuy and I enjoy both of these offerings.

• Like 2

My husband loves his breakfast in Club Class.  I am not a breakfast eater.  The Ultimate Breakfast would be wasted on me.  I do believe that the UBD is the best bargain on Princess.  If I recall correctly, the price has not increased in many years.

31 minutes ago, Nashna said:

My husband loves his breakfast in Club Class.  I am not a breakfast eater.  The Ultimate Breakfast would be wasted on me.  I do believe that the UBD is the best bargain on Princess.  If I recall correctly, the price has not increased in many years.

We have similar morning habits  Mrs. XBGuy sleeps in, pretty much, every day and I go out for breakfast.

While on a cruise, I will usually head to the dining room or to the buffet.  I get a kick out of sitting with different people for a few minutes and chatting,  I tried the Club Class breakfast once, and that was no fun.  I had to sit alone, and I was disappointed with how much the server ignored me.  I have tried the suite breakfast in Sabatini's or Crown Grill a few times, and I was very pleased with the attention that I received from multiple servers, but sitting alone was no fun.

Mrs. XBGuy does enjoy the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast on Scenic Cruising days such as Glacier Bay

5 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

I could never afford anything so beautiful as this to be honest.

Disappointing for you, I can appreciate that, but it does sound to be rather special.

The UBD is unforgettable.  My wife still reminisces about it after 5 years. A real shame that it was not available on our last cruise, and is unlikely to be offered when we are on Regal in May. 

On 12/20/2021 at 3:47 PM, Nashna said:

One of the highlights of our last Princess cruise was experiencing the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on the Royal.  We stayed in a forward corner Mini-Suite and had dinner on the large balcony. Our late departure from St. Thomas made for a delighful dinner with amazing views of the twinkling port lights..  We booked another dinner for our January cruise when we booked the cruise last March.  Shortly after we booked that dinner, the option to reserve the UBD disappeared from the Speciality Restaurant options.  The Ultimate Balcony Breakfast is still listed, just not the dinner.  Our reservation still shows confirmed.  Does anyone know if they are still doing those dinners or why they are no longer listed?

Maybe one day it will return!  St Thomas is one of the most beautiful ports from the ship.  Also, Pago Pago, American Samoa is a gorgeous port on the sail out too with a UBD!

I can’t find the UBB on the specialty dining?  Did you go on the app under dine my way?  I tried that under specialty dining and it only gave me Sabatinis and the Crown Grill.

Specialty Dining

Dining on board a Princess® cruise ship is a joyful celebration and our specialty restaurants always deliver an extraordinary experience. They are among the best at sea – or anywhere. We serve dishes made with the freshest ingredients, and our menus reflect regional flavors from around the world. You'll find our specialty restaurants are the perfect place to celebrate any occasion.1

•  

Ultimate Balcony Dining Gallery

A Private Breakfast with a view

A luxurious breakfast experience at sea all served right on the privacy of your own balcony by our dedicated waitstaff. Treat yourself to this unparalleled indulgence and savor food, views, and memories that will never be forgotten.

Additional charges apply.

4 minutes ago, Nashna said:

Specialty Dining

Dining on board a Princess® cruise ship is a joyful celebration and our specialty restaurants always deliver an extraordinary experience. They are among the best at sea – or anywhere. We serve dishes made with the freshest ingredients, and our menus reflect regional flavors from around the world. You'll find our specialty restaurants are the perfect place to celebrate any occasion.1

•  

Ultimate Balcony Dining Gallery

A Private Breakfast with a view

A luxurious breakfast experience at sea all served right on the privacy of your own balcony by our dedicated waitstaff. Treat yourself to this unparalleled indulgence and savor food, views, and memories that will never be forgotten.

Additional charges apply.

Thanks for the reply.  That is the link to the PCL website, which is just an advertisement.  It does not show up on onboard services..celebrations.. where you used to book it or on the app, under specialty dining.

I was told by CS, it is not being offered at this time, due to covid.  😞

Thank you for responding.