BTimmer's Almost Live - Zuiderdam 1/2-30/22 -San Diego to Florida RT

Btimmer

29 minutes ago, dlopez said:

I tested positive yesterday and was moved to the 4th floor. This morning I was transferred to a local hotel to spend my 5 isolation days. I asked Guest Relations how many were going with me, and she said I was the only one. All the others (no number given) had completed their quarantine and were allowed to disembark as normal passengers. Ship has been wonderful in taking care of everything so far. Now that I'm in the hotel, we'll see what kind of service I receive.

Diana

Do you feel symptomatic and voluntarily go to the med center or did they test everyone before disembarkation? 

29 minutes ago, dlopez said:

I tested positive yesterday and was moved to the 4th floor. This morning I was transferred to a local hotel to spend my 5 isolation days. I asked Guest Relations how many were going with me, and she said I was the only one. All the others (no number given) had completed their quarantine and were allowed to disembark as normal passengers. Ship has been wonderful in taking care of everything so far. Now that I'm in the hotel, we'll see what kind of service I receive.

Diana

Lucky you, eh?  😞  Are you at the Doubletree? (someone on another thread thought that's where they were taking people in SD)

Hopefully you're already feeling better and will be good to go for the February 27th cruise.

Just now, zelker said:

Lucky you, eh?  😞  Are you at the Doubletree? (someone on another thread thought that's where they were taking people in SD)

Hopefully you're already feeling better and will be good to go for the February 27th cruise.

Yes, I had a private transfer to the Doubletree Downtown. My room is very nice with a fridge and coffee maker, TV of course with many more stations than the ship. Other than it being only 30 steps round trip around the room, it will suffice. There is also a small balcony, but I'm on the 21st floor and afraid of heights, so I can't go out to the railing!

We're still talking about the 27th cruise but will more than likely cancel until all of this settles down. Maybe we'll take the one in September if we don't get go to Africa.

Diana

• Like 5

Just now, boze9999 said:

Do you feel symptomatic and voluntarily go to the med center or did they test everyone before disembarkation? 

I thought I had a cold, but as the day wore on, I started worrying that it could be more, and I had to let my roommate know before she flew out of Seattle to SD. The Medical center came to my room, stood in my doorway and swabbed my nose. Then I had to wait the 30 minutes for the result.

Diana

• Thanks 1

I would think that when you, Diana, recover from this you will have immunity to make you safe to cruise on Feb 27???  And also protected from this terrible virus for a while????  Hopefully the virus will be a little less prolific then.

I hope that you have a nice view from your window.  Enjoy the balcony's fresh air, if not the challenging railing.

Sorry that this has also upended your roommate's plans.

Best wishes to both of you.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

It's been a lovely week in Seattle, weather wise. Sorry you're coming back to the 1st rain in over a week. Thanks so much for an informative report and can't wait to snorkel again. Your photos were wonderful.

Thanks. While onboard we booked two more cruises: both in Alaska (May & July).  After them, we'll be able to say we've sailed on every dam ship in the current fleet and only missed the Veendam in the most recent fleet. 

I'm still updating my daily blog and have some interesting observations about today's disembarkation. We're currently on a flight to Spokane and then on to Seattle tonight as the direct Seattle flights were full.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dlopez said:

Yes, I had a private transfer to the Doubletree Downtown. My room is very nice with a fridge and coffee maker, TV of course with many more stations than the ship. Other than it being only 30 steps round trip around the room, it will suffice. There is also a small balcony, but I'm on the 21st floor and afraid of heights, so I can't go out to the railing!

We're still talking about the 27th cruise but will more than likely cancel until all of this settles down. Maybe we'll take the one in September if we don't get go to Africa.

Diana

There's the one in August BOSTON-BOSTON that the cool people will be on.

We'll call tomorrow when we're home.  I packed your card in my checked luggage.

😉

Edited by Btimmer
  • Like 2

Thanks again to everyone who has followed along on our 28 day double Panama Canal transits.  We made it home at 9:30pm and our bed feels so good.  

Stay tuned in early May, 2022 when I'll bring another BTimmer's Almost Live from the Westerdam in its first Alaskan cruise in 2022.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Stay tuned in early May, 2022 when I'll bring another BTimmer's Almost Live from the Westerdam in its first Alaskan cruise in 2022.

Thanks for this Almost Live. Will also be reading the next one and hope DD, DS and their spouses read your blog. They are coming with us on the Westerdam in July - they've never cruised or been to SE Alaska.

17 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Thanks again to everyone who has followed along on our 28 day double Panama Canal transits.  We made it home at 9:30pm and our bed feels so good.  

Tim - assume you are aware that HAL is postponing the Westerdam starting in Alaska until mid-June?  Just read about it on another thread that was also talking about them postponing the start-up of Volendam in Europe in the spring by a month.  😞  

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Tim - assume you are aware that HAL is postponing the Westerdam starting in Alaska until mid-June?  Just read about it on another thread that was also talking about them postponing the start-up of Volendam in Europe in the spring by a month.  😞  

I just learned this myself.  We'll cancel the cruise as we want to sail on the Westerdam specifically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Just curious, why are you specifically wanting the Westerdam and not the Eurodam the next day?  

Thanks Tim,

~Nancy

Because we've never sailed on the Westerdam.  We don't particularly care about the itinerary as we've done it previously.

On 1/30/2022 at 11:22 AM, dlopez said:

Diana

Sorry to hear you tested positive 😞   I have a quick question for you.....Our Sea of Cortez cruise is on April 3rd and we are currently booked in an aft facing cabin on deck 4.    Has HAL designated all of deck 4's cabins for quarantine or just a few rooms?   

Just now, cruzin4us said:

Sorry to hear you tested positive 😞   I have a quick question for you.....Our Sea of Cortez cruise is on April 3rd and we are currently booked in an aft facing cabin on deck 4.    Has HAL designated all of deck 4's cabins for quarantine or just a few rooms?   

I'm sure each sailing is different. Coming across the Canal, it appeared to me when I walked up and down all the staircases at various times during the cruise that the 4th deck was totally closed off. Big doors closed with signs that read Authorized Personnel Only or whatever. I don't know if crew were also isolated there or it was only passengers or how many passengers or it was easiest to keep the entire floor vacated. They can close only portions of a deck. You could check with your TA to see if another aft-facing cabin is available if you're uncomfortable keeping your current cabin.

Diana

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dlopez said:

I'm sure each sailing is different. Coming across the Canal, it appeared to me when I walked up and down all the staircases at various times during the cruise that the 4th deck was totally closed off. Big doors closed with signs that read Authorized Personnel Only or whatever. I don't know if crew were also isolated there or it was only passengers or how many passengers or it was easiest to keep the entire floor vacated. They can close only portions of a deck. You could check with your TA to see if another aft-facing cabin is available if you're uncomfortable keeping your current cabin.

Diana

I called HAL and of course they said they didn't know which decks would be blocked off....I figured as much.   I just love the aft facing cabins and I'd hate to be moved elsewhere at the last minute.    

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

I called HAL and of course they said they didn't know which decks would be blocked off....I figured as much.   I just love the aft facing cabins and I'd hate to be moved elsewhere at the last minute.    

We were in 4179 aft facing for the 2/27/22 cruise. Our TA called last week and changed our cabin to an aft facing cabin on Deck 7. Since that deck is mostly suites it most likely would not be a quarantine deck. We didn’t want to take a chance and get stuck midship somewhere.