On the Joy now- need help

gmkgks

18 hours ago, gmkgks said:

No but we were just told at shore excursions that St Lucia is closed to all except your groups.  I asked how long they’ve known and he said they were told on 12/23.  That might have been useful to know more than the day before we arrive. My daughter and I got the last two tickets on a tour. Our other two will need to stay on the ship.  

Thanks.

Now, I was just told that Footloose was cancelled.

Is that true? Were any other shows cancelled?

TIA

21 hours ago, gmkgks said:

I do know on day 2 they offered to let us use the inside cabin across the hall (both directly across from us were available) as a sleeping room and we declined because we all wanted to be together and they had promised to fix the AC and banging, plus I wanted to make sure my daughter was with me.  I was willing to live with the rollaway bed.  

I wanted to point out that in your original post, it seemed like the most important thing to you was the sleeping arrangements.  You said the room was not livable because of it.   But later in this post, you said that NCL DID offer you an inside cabin right across the hall from you to fix that issue on Day 2.  Why on earth wouldn't the adult male have taken that room when it was offered?   Your daughter could have stayed with you.   You said you declined because you all wanted to be together.  Surely the adult male doesn't have to be WITH you when you sleep?   I'm just wondering exactly what sort of remedy you actually were expecting?

The heat and the noise are a totally different thing and I'd have camped out in front of the C/S desk until someone who could address at least the heat appeared.

• Like 7

Reading through this, the part that doesn't add up for me is how someone who is a Platinum cruiser books an oceanview room for 4 essentially adults.  I can't imagine even being in the same room with my 14 year old kids anymore without going in eyes wide open that sleeping would be a pain in the butt and there wouldn't be space to turn around.  The noise and AC issues are certainly legit, but the rest seems like you got what you booked.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 20165 said:

we were on Joy last week and had a somewhat similar issue.  Our sons had a Forward facing penthouse (HG) and the king sized bed could not be split into 2 twins like other cabins.  So one son slept in the king, the other slept on the couch in the other room. Luckily their room steward was able to put a mattress on it so it was pretty much like sleeping on a twin bed.  So in reality, even though those rooms say the accommodate 3 people, really, i would consider that to be a 2 person room that are ok sleeping in the same bed.

It's important for anyone booking the Haven to know that Haven cabins have KING beds.  Not the "2 twins pushed together" that you find elsewhere on the ship, but ACTUAL king-sized beds that do NOT split. (On another note, they are extraordinarily comfortable!  Made in Italy and can be purchased from the manufacturer for home use - I have one 😁>)

Edited by pcakes122

11 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

OP, for serious issues while you are on the ship, you don't need cruise critic.  You just need to contact the General Manager, formerly named Hotel Director.  The GM is where the buck stops.  If they can't or won't fix your issue, you are SOOL.

What he/she said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

Thanks.

Now, I was just told that Footloose was cancelled.

Is that true? Were any other shows cancelled?

TIA

Oh, that is too bad about "Footloose" being cancelled. The show was great when we saw it on Joy the week of December 11th. There is a "Broadway Cabaret" show in one of the smaller venues which stars eight cast members (singers) from "Footloose". I believe it was in The Social Club. THAT show is fantastic. Hopefully, "Broadway Cabaret" will still be an option for you.

Friend on Bliss in Nov 19  had similar banging issues in lower level aft balcony rooms, not every night but probably related to sea conditions.  I think Joy is the same class of ship. He did really like his huge balcony, though.  

Edited by mlgb

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Really? Hotels that sleep 4 can have 2 full beds. I’ve seen very creative numbers on VRBO and Airbnb which count sofa beds in living rooms as sleeping 2 counting towards the amount the property sleeps. Once 2 camping cots we’re part of the number. My 23 and 18 year old sons could share a king, my 18, 20 and 25 year old daughters just shared a full Christmas Eve.

Yeah, but OP has adult male and young daughter ..... 

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Really? Hotels that sleep 4 can have 2 full beds. I’ve seen very creative numbers on VRBO and Airbnb which count sofa beds in living rooms as sleeping 2 counting towards the amount the property sleeps. Once 2 camping cots we’re part of the number. My 23 and 18 year old sons could share a king, my 18, 20 and 25 year old daughters just shared a full Christmas Eve.

7 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

But I quoted another poster who said a cabin with a king and a single should be listed as having beds for only 2 in case 2 people didn’t want to sleep in a king together, like her 2 sons.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2021 at 10:20 AM, bkrickles1 said:

I'm booked in cabin 10700 on joy for January 15th and I've been excited as it's a huge ov cabin. I hope to not have similar issues. 

Hi! I'm originally from the Island too! We are booked for the Joy this summer in 10700. How was that cabin? Did you take any pictures or video. CC won't let me message you directly so sorry to hijack this thread.

Frank

23 minutes ago, squidf said:

Hi! I'm originally from the Island too! We are booked for the Joy this summer in 10700. How was that cabin? Did you take any pictures or video. CC won't let me message you directly so sorry to hijack this thread.

Frank

I, unfortunately, was scheduled to sail January 15th and my sailing was cancelled within a couple of days of us leaving for Miami. It was that 2 week pause that they took for absolutely no logical reason.

I'm actually about to book the Joy for 6/26 and couldn't get that cabin again.

I did a lot of research and I think anyone who isn't bothered by a little extra movement would love that cabin. Between the amazing amount of storage to a great bathroom. It's a terrific cabin at an inexpensive price. 

Good luck on your sailing.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:32 AM, gmkgks said:

We did specifically check with NCL about the sleeping configuration when we booked.  We looked at the photos of the room and it looked like a sofa bed and a couch/single bed under the window.  But they will not make the couch under the window into a bed for safety reasons. But we were not told that prior to booking

There are only cabins above and below us. Yesterday we were told the banging was a “known issue” about the ship.  

Did you ask?