Coral Discoverer

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I hope they send that Tennis snowflake - Djovik? I cannot spell it,  to Howard Springs for a taste of reality, then put on a plane out of OZ. He is currently being held at Melbourne Airport.

He just got his go home card. Not the correct Visa.🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

He just got his go home card. Not the correct Visa.🤣

It was stated he would take his case to court. If that's allowed, does it mean he will have to go to a detention centre until it's heard or leave the country? A few days, or weeks, in a detention centre could be a learning experience for him. 

41 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

It was stated he would take his case to court. If that's allowed, does it mean he will have to go to a detention centre until it's heard or leave the country? A few days, or weeks, in a detention centre could be a learning experience for him. 

If you know your rights and ask for a lawyer, border decisions are appealable. The govt, whatever stripe, rely on people not knowing they have this right. They certainly don’t advise people.  My ex worked in immigration law. 

Djok has been taken to hotel quarantine. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

He will go into a 5 star hotel in quarantine if he stays to appeal the ABF decision to punt him. No detention centre I bet.  Prima Donnas those tennis people. I reckon the Australian Tennis mob have stuffed as well by failing to check his visa before arrival.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

He will go into a 5 star hotel in quarantine if he stays to appeal the ABF decision to punt him. No detention centre I bet.  Prima Donnas those tennis people. I reckon the Australian Tennis mob have stuffed as well by failing to check his visa before arrival.

Did he have the 'wrong' visa? Or was it (as has been reported) that his visa was cancelled because he isn't vaccinated and could not prove that he has a medical reason for an exemption.

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Did he have the 'wrong' visa? Or was it (as has been reported) that his visa was cancelled because he isn't vaccinated and could not prove that he has a medical reason for an exemption.

As I understand it, the medical exemption was granted by a committee set up by (or for) Tennis Australia because he claimed to have contracted covid within the last six months. According to the rules this would have been enough to let him in.

When the brouhaha blew up, somebody thought to go back and ask his people if they had proof. I guess they didn't. So abracadabra the visa disappears.

I like how Border Force feels it can outsource border control to sports authorities. Then those same sports authorities can come back and say it's not their job to do actual investigations.

It seems they've learnt so much from the Ruby Princess debacle, not. 🥵

18 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

As I understand it, the medical exemption was granted by a committee set up by (or for) Tennis Australia because he claimed to have contracted covid within the last six months. According to the rules this would have been enough to let him in.

When the brouhaha blew up, somebody thought to go back and ask his people if they had proof. I guess they didn't. So abracadabra the visa disappears.

I like how Border Force feels it can outsource border control to sports authorities. Then those same sports authorities can come back and say it's not their job to do actual investigations.

It seems they've learnt so much from the Ruby Princess debacle, not. 🥵

I read that the particular visa he used to apply for entry into Australia didn't allow a medical exemption.  

Remember when the USA sent the Entertainer, who always wears a big hat, ? back because he didn't have the correct visa.  After returning to Australia he flew back to the US, with the correct visa, and was allowed in. 

Good riddance, an economy class seat on Emirates awaits, sorry, the Emirates 1st Class Suite, with shower access.

Yes sounds like another Ruby Princess stuff, state v ABF.    Vic Govt tried to sneak him in but got sprung, now they are in reverse gear lol.   

Good to see Scomo standing firm, perhaps he does not like that silly game called tennis, like me.  Rugby League man is Scomo, go the Sharkies. 

Edited by NSWP

34 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I read that the particular visa he used to apply for entry into Australia didn't allow a medical exemption.

It seems to be getting messier. Apparently he had the wrong type of visa, which begs the question of who gave him that visa. They don't usually fall off trees. Before he arrived Border Force asked the Vic govt if they wanted to let him in anyway. The Vics, having seen the bad press, said no. Now Border Force says they never asked. The Vics say they have it in writing.

The kicker is that there were already several players in Australia on the "correct" visa with medical exemptions such as Djokovic sought, or should have sought. But now Border Force advises that it told Tennis Australia beforehand that covid infection in the last six months was not valid for a medical exemption. So how are these other players here?

I'd say that the whole shemozzle is fast approaching a situation of peak fecklessness. Where so many people are trying to cover their posteriors at the same time, that reality disappears up the proverbial black hole. 🤔

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1