Just back from APEX today - 1/8/2022

eroller

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Sounds like the cut back they entertainment in Eden. I assume there weren't any of the 'Night of....' shows on your cruise? I attended one of them,Night of the Arts, and what it was is a variety show of the various performers on the ship. At the start was an artist who was painting artwork as the various acts performed one by one. The show was 90 minutes. My impression is the the other shows are of similar ilk and not a full on production show like Tree of Life in the Theater.

Nope.  No “night of” shows in Eden and no Tree of Life in the theater. 

I thought there were some production type shows in Eden, very artsy where the performers are all around you?  I think I read on EDGE they were not well received.  Maybe too artsy.  This was when the ship first came out.  Then they reworked them for APEX.  Anyway I thought they were talking about shows in Eden but maybe it was the main theater?  It was a couple years back and my memory is not what it used to be.  

14 minutes ago, eroller said:

I thought there were some production type shows in Eden, very artsy where the performers are all around you?  I think I read on EDGE they were not well received.  Maybe too artsy.  This was when the ship first came out.  Then they reworked them for APEX.  Anyway I thought they were talking about shows in Eden but maybe it was the main theater?  It was a couple years back and my memory is not what it used to be.  

I know the shows you are referring to when the Edge first debuted and those shows are long gone. I saw one of them and they we definitely out there.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, eroller said:

What? No Night of Dreams (Alice in Wonderland) in Eden

6667F313-E00F-4EDA-9396-C0A0B0F8572E.jpeg.223252267659008ac4f198050ac893a6.jpeg6C06BA2E-5210-4FDD-9115-06461E752577.jpeg.d66ce51a00ece51d950cb3cf8d30981b.jpeg

or Tree of Life (which cost over $1 million) in the main theater?

60674D10-496A-4DDA-875A-92F064C7ED05.jpeg.84cb0b0876a22a7a8a80a6d3fc4f21be.jpegEDB81D80-D5CC-465E-A432-105B3C8906FD.jpeg.385ac9b5ad4e8a8810d86c2f3ca48b1d.jpeg

Those were definitely two of the better shows we saw in November!

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

What? No Night of Dreams (Alice in Wonderland) in Eden

6667F313-E00F-4EDA-9396-C0A0B0F8572E.jpeg.223252267659008ac4f198050ac893a6.jpeg6C06BA2E-5210-4FDD-9115-06461E752577.jpeg.d66ce51a00ece51d950cb3cf8d30981b.jpeg

or Tree of Life (which cost over $1 million) in the main theater?

60674D10-496A-4DDA-875A-92F064C7ED05.jpeg.84cb0b0876a22a7a8a80a6d3fc4f21be.jpegEDB81D80-D5CC-465E-A432-105B3C8906FD.jpeg.385ac9b5ad4e8a8810d86c2f3ca48b1d.jpeg

Those were definitely two of the better shows we saw in November!

i wish!  I guess it just means I’ll have to return which I wouldn’t mind at all. 

• Like 2

We sail on her this coming Saturday, Covid willing!

We’ll be in a suite for the first time on X, so looking forward to the experience. I’m loving all the positive reviews from the OP and others, which is making me look forward to it all the more!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, eroller said:

Thank you!  Just for reference I always take my onboard ship pics without people, even on completely full ships.  Sometimes it's challenging but I usually do it on a port day when everyone is ashore.  For me it's all about capturing the public spaces of the ship for my photo journals.  

Thanks for your review and the wonderful pictures. 

Were you scheduled for other ports than the ones listed and did they allow the ship to dock? 

11 hours ago, eroller said:

This cruise was all about the ship and not the ports, which is a good thing because the itinerary was nothing to write home about.  In fact I never got off the ship.  Puerto Plata and Nassau.  We never made it to Nassau, denied entry even though MSC DIVINA, NORWEGIAN ENCORE, and DISNEY MAGIC all were able to dock there yesterday.  So it was to be a day at sea which was fine by me, but I was hoping to get off in Nassau only to photograph the ship.  

Did the captain or someone officially announce why the ship was denied entry to Nassau?

Thank you for your review of Apex...we sailed on her in December and loved it! My favorite parts are the walking track and Eden during the day. We enjoyed the infinite balcony as our cabin seemed enormous! Restaurants are fabulous...we were in Aqua Class, so enjoyed Blu most of the time. Sailed Edge a couple years ago and totally loved the concept dining. Great class of ships...although we have never NOT enjoyed any of X's ships!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colliercruiser said:

Did the captain or someone officially announce why the ship was denied entry to Nassau?

There was an announcement from the Captain and a letter delivered to every cabin (see attachment).  Looks like MSC Seashore and Independence of the Seas were denied entry into Nassau today.  These ports denying entry (not just the Bahamas) are going to become a huge headache for the cruise industry until Omicron dies down.  

IMG_5220.jpg

3 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

Thanks for your review and the wonderful pictures. 

Were you scheduled for other ports than the ones listed and did they allow the ship to dock? 

On this cruise the only two scheduled ports were Puerto Plata and Nassau, at least when I booked.  I think at some point the original itinerary was Labadee and Nassau, but Labadee was changed to Puerto Plata a long time ago (due to unrest in Haiti).  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Guindalf said:

We sail on her this coming Saturday, Covid willing!

We’ll be in a suite for the first time on X, so looking forward to the experience. I’m loving all the positive reviews from the OP and others, which is making me look forward to it all the more!

Sounds wonderful and I hope your sailing goes without a hitch.  My cabin was right by Luminae (suite restaurant) and it looked wonderful.  Attached are a few pics of the beautiful space.  

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

7 minutes ago, eroller said:

There was an announcement from the Captain and a letter delivered to every cabin (see attachment).  Looks like MSC Seashore and Independence of the Seas were denied entry into Nassau today.  These ports denying entry (not just the Bahamas) are going to become a huge headache for the cruise industry until Omicron dies down.  

IMG_5220.jpg

Thanks for this info.  I note that the captain’s letter did not specify the new entry requirements… so I wonder if they are requiring testing within a couple of days before entry (difficult to do mid sailing) or the threshold of COVID cases on board.

10 minutes ago, eroller said:

Sounds wonderful and I hope your sailing goes without a hitch.  My cabin was right by Luminae (suite restaurant) and it looked wonderful.  Attached are a few pics of the beautiful space.  

IMG_5143.jpg

Do you see the table on the right in the picture? That was our table, #2, for 3 weeks on the Edge back in August. If a couple what's to consistently be seated away from other folks, that is a great table to secure the first day you show up at Luminae. However, you'll probably need to always eat early, as we did, so the maitre d' will be able to secure it for you. Just a thought ... 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser

My wife and I also got off the Apex on January 8th. Nice review and photos by eroller. Of the 1293 onboard, we were told by guest services that 5 tested positive . We wore masks on the ship unless eating/ drinking. Felt safe. We enjoyed the cruise and plan to be on the Odyssey  OTS in February 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Ernie, thanks for your great review and photos. Glad that you enjoyed the Apex. Thanks for sharing. 

Glad you enjoyed it!  I'll get the rest of the pics uploaded soon and and post the link.  

3 hours ago, swsf99a said:

My wife and I also got off the Apex on January 8th. Nice review and photos by eroller. Of the 1293 onboard, we were told by guest services that 5 tested positive . We wore masks on the ship unless eating/ drinking. Felt safe. We enjoyed the cruise and plan to be on the Odyssey  OTS in February 

Very interesting.  Thanks for the information.  Onboard there was certainly no indication of any kind of crisis.  Everyone was enjoying themselves and following the rules, and it seemed like business as usual.  

4 hours ago, sillypuppy said:

What was your itinerary?  What ports did you miss and did you go to other ports not on the original itinerary?  We are scheduled to sail on the Apex 1/29 and trying to decide to go or not to go….

On this cruise the only two scheduled ports were Puerto Plata and Nassau, at least when I booked.  I think at some point the original itinerary was Labadee and Nassau, but Labadee was changed to Puerto Plata a long time ago (due to unrest in Haiti).  The ship did dock at Puerto Plata as scheduled but as I reported in my original post the ship was denied entry to Nassau.  

2 hours ago, sillypuppy said:

Also curious about the PCR testing. It is required for us to return to Canada. Did you require this?  If so, how was it done?  I have heard that it is being done at the pier when returning to FLL. 

I can't speak to requirements for Canada as I'm a US citizen and I live in Fort Lauderdale.  There was no PCR test required before or after the cruise, and no testing that I saw at the terminal before or after the cruise.  The only requirement was a verified negative antigen test within two days of embarking the ship, along with proof of vaccination.  I had my negative test results in hand for embarkation, and the agent quickly looked it over (along with my vaccination card) and that was it.  After the cruise we simply went through a CBP facial recognition scan in the terminal which cleared us to exit.  I was in my car and home by 9am.  It could not have been easier.  

Edited by eroller

FWIW, I saw Night of Dreams in Eden and Tree of Life in the theatre on the Christmas cruise...

On a B2B on Edge now. Luminae is very nice but I stay out of there - too many concerns about Covid and being contact traced. 

Eroller - Have booked Beyond?

14 minutes ago, GMoney said:

FWIW, I saw Night of Dreams in Eden and Tree of Life in the theatre on the Christmas cruise...

On a B2B on Edge now. Luminae is very nice but I stay out of there - too many concerns about Covid and being contact traced. 

Eroller - Have booked Beyond?

I haven't yet, but pretty sure I will.  In fact just last night I was looking at the BEYOND deck plan comparing differences to APEX.  I really fell for APEX.  Absolutely loved the ship.  Haven't felt so strongly for a ship since QM2.  Enjoy your B2B.  Wish I was still cruising instead of heading back to work tomorrow.  Such is life.  

2 hours ago, eroller said:

I haven't yet, but pretty sure I will.  In fact just last night I was looking at the BEYOND deck plan comparing differences to APEX.  I really fell for APEX.  Absolutely loved the ship.  Haven't felt so strongly for a ship since QM2.  Enjoy your B2B.  Wish I was still cruising instead of heading back to work tomorrow.  Such is life.  

I believe the Beyond has made several improvements over the Apex and Edge. The biggest being the added deck and moving Luminae from the Port side on Deck 12 to the 16th deck facing forward over the bow. The Retreat lounge, deck and Luminae will all be located on the 3 highest decks, in close proximity to each other. Moving the Luminae has added several more suites to deck 12 as well and the total passenger count is about 300 more than the Edge. By 2024 Celebrity will have 4 E Class ships in the fleet with a 5th still on the drawing board for some time after 2025. This will put at least 1 E Class ship in the most popular Celebrity cruise markets.

• Like 1

There is nothing to dislike Edge class ships.On one of my cruise on Apex.

The ship manufactural did sent a team of people on  board to find out what need to improve on future Edge class ships.

There will be a nice Moroccan sunset bar to replace the present one.

That will be a plus and I believe a lot of people will enjoy the  sail away party there like the Solstice class ships.

• Like 2