Flying to Alaska thru Seattle - Need Help

PoohUnderstands

Hi, guys!

Am looking forward to, I hope, our cruisetour to Alaska the middle of this May.  Using EZair which I always do.  But I have one question with those familiar with the Seattle Airport and Alaska Airlines.  My flight to Fairbanks from Seattle keeps changing times.  I am flying from Nashville to Fairbanks with the one stop in Seattle.  At the time I first booked there was a hour and 1/2 time frame between flights.  After three changes (just in times) there is now only 56 minutes between flights. My question is, assuming no delays (yes I know, but...) assuming no delays is 56 minutes enough time to go from arrival gate to departure gate with Alaska Airlines? At least my two flights are with the same airline.  Also, I know Princess will have to help me which is a nice backup, but am still wondering if I am in a small amount of concern here or a lot!  Thanks for your help.

Pooh

I have been going to Alaska for 20+ years and fly mostly Alaska Air. Have always avoided Seattle because of possible weather problems and non-stop is usually less. Last year I flew thru Seattle because there were no direct flts. Had about the same length of layover as you and it was sort of close. Seemed like it took forever for people to deplane and the gate was a bit of a walk. Got there as they were boarding. If I did it again I would allow a little more time between. In fact was thinking of going up there in 2 weeks but Alaska Air has no direct flts. Also if you do miss your flt. there are plenty of Alaskan flts. leaving Seattle all day. Good luck with your plans and have a great trip! Can't beat Alaska!!!!

• Like 1

56 minutes should be enough time transferring between flights of the same carrier in the

same terminal.

It is when you have to go outside the airside to connect and come back in through the

TSA check points in another terminal that things can get really untimely messy.

At Seattle you would not have this problem staying within TSA controlled zone.

Your check luggage may present a problem if less than an hour connecting time and

especially connecting to another carrier in another terminal

Delays at Seattle are mainly due to weather related activity and due to robust 

competitive activity of competing carriers -

Alaska/American and Delta are the main hub operators.

Then there are the other guys and a host of international airlines

Delays are pretty much in sync uniformly - everyone shares the same delay

You can browse the airline website for your flights and check daily as to what terminal

and gate these flights routinely use

Get an airport diagram map of the area to see how your connections work -

most airlines operate on a uniform program - some even coordinate

high volume connections at adjacent gates.

Anchorage and Fairbanks are the prime destinations for Alaska airlines from Seattle.

Not much to worry about with just one connection - it is when that third flight comes

into play and even more so if that second connection point has weather or high air

traffic delays. Preference is NON-STOP flights over connections - so if you are not

residing close to one of those non-stop cities be aware of the booking alternatives

that NCL will use. 

Nashville-Fairbanks is certainly not a non-stop sequence.

Fairbanks is a seasonal non-stop to selected cities in the lower 48 -

At other times of the year connections are always via Anchorage or Seattle. 

The changing flight connection times could be due to scheduling of crew and

aircraft relative to the covid virus - this even more so recently.

• Like 1

The good news is that it is all AK & you don't have to go through tsa. AK uses gates c, d, & n with a short and often train between them. The bad news is that now you should be on board 30 min before departure. You can use flightaware closer to the 90 day mark to see the history of your flights as to gate info and delays. Can you even change it? Are you flying in a day before? If all one concourse not as much of a problem but going from any to the other (c to d or n) very likely an issue. You will not have any time for bathroom or food. 

In other news if the tour part of tour includes Denali make sure you understand that the road for the  transit buses doesn't open because of snow until May 20 with tour buses the week before. Also the ride will only go to milepost 43. For more info search Pretty Rocks rock slide repair. 

I would never accept a 56 minute transfer time.  Too many minor problems could occur which would cause you to miss your flight - slight takeoff delays, minor mechanical delays, gate delays at Seattle, etc.  You need to get one or both of your flights changed.

DON

• Like 1

We often fly from California-Seattle-Vancouver for our Alaska cruises.  Agree, short transfer times are not ideal as we have found out on more than one occasion.  Connecting in Seattle has so many variables --- we usually allow at least two hours for our connection.

My recent experience(and we fly Alaska a lot) is that the flights to Anchorage and Seattle tend to the depart from the North terminal (N gates).  Definitely go to the SEATAC website and print off a map of the terminal complex.

But every airport has a minimum time period for a "legal" connection period.  Call EZair and ask if 56 minutes is the minimum amount of time for a connection at SEATAC.  I suspect it isn't.

15 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

My recent experience(and we fly Alaska a lot) is that the flights to Anchorage and Seattle tend to the depart from the North terminal (N gates).  Definitely go to the SEATAC website and print off a map of the terminal complex.

But every airport has a minimum time period for a "legal" connection period.  Call EZair and ask if 56 minutes is the minimum amount of time for a connection at SEATAC.  I suspect it isn't.

The problem is that often legal is also not being very smart. You have flown a lot.  How many times have you taken off 10 or 20 minutes late because of traffic or weather delays or a late arrival of the flight at your originating airport.  How many times have you sat on the runway at your arrival airport for the same time because your gate is not available.  If both of these scenarios happen, you have lost 20 or more minutes of your buffer time and maybe missed your flight.  Also, what are the odds of your luggage making it on board if you loose half of your 56 minutes flight transfer time.  Another thing to consider is your plan B if you miss your flight to Fairbanks.  I checked the flights from SeaTac to Fairbanks and Alaska has only 4 non stop flights per day.  

I would prefer to have to wait a few hours at an airport between flights as opposed to booking such a tight connection.

DON

I've made tighter connections in Seattle, but there's always the chance for a SNAFU or for your luggage to not make it. Also if you come at B Concourse and you flight leaves from N, you've got to get to the train to get to the satellite terminal. 

47 minutes ago, AKStafford said:

I've made tighter connections in Seattle, but there's always the chance for a SNAFU or for your luggage to not make it. Also if you come at B Concourse and you flight leaves from N, you've got to get to the train to get to the satellite terminal. 

Point well taken about making connections -

In an airport with one terminal and multiple concourses you have your fleet feet to run to the

boarding gate - - -

"BUT" at SEA your boarding gate maybe on a remote island accessible only by subterranean

train that operates on its own schedule that may not match yours.

Seattle Airport reference:

seattle airport map - Bing images