Options when cancelling a cruise.

mcoler181

Due to the all the testing requirements prior and when on board that I have been reading about, plus the possibility of being quarantined with a 7 and 11 year old in our cabin just for being near someone who tests positive we have decided to cancel/postpone our April cruise and have a couple of weeks in Orlando instead.

Ideally we would like to move it to next year but I can’t find any availability online, is it possible to just get a credit note for the £600 deposit we have paid so far to use in the future?

5 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

From what I have read on my paperwork it would be a full loss of deposit. I'll give them a ring and see what my options are, will let you know.

I'm sure it is a somewhat different process in the UK than for those of us stateside.  You have different consumer protection, and I believe you final payment window is different.  We are 90 days out, and you are sixty.  For us, cancellation before final payment is on a calendar scale  The big exception is Yacht Club reservations. You lose your deposit regardless of how far out from final payment you are when you cancel.

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

I'm sure it is a somewhat different process in the UK than for those of us stateside.  You have different consumer protection, and I believe you final payment window is different.  We are 90 days out, and you are sixty.  For us, cancellation before final payment is on a calendar scale  The big exception is Yacht Club reservations. You lose your deposit regardless of how far out from final payment you are when you cancel.

We cancelled our YC booking for Seashore sailing end of November 2021 booked with a US travel agent, cancelled about a month prior to sailing and received our deposit back. Could have been under the old booking system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidari said:

We cancelled our YC booking for Seashore sailing end of November 2021 booked with a US travel agent, cancelled about a month prior to sailing and received our deposit back. Could have been under the old booking system.

Could very well have been, David.  They've always kept it fairly low.  Under $100/person, so not too bad if lost.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Due to the all the testing requirements prior and when on board that I have been reading about, plus the possibility of being quarantined with a 7 and 11 year old in our cabin just for being near someone who tests positive we have decided to cancel/postpone our April cruise and have a couple of weeks in Orlando instead.

Ideally we would like to move it to next year but I can’t find any availability online, is it possible to just get a credit note for the £600 deposit we have paid so far to use in the future?

We had similar  situation a few months back.   U.K. bookings are different in the terms and conditions.   Deposits are non refunable and usually,  unless you pay an admin fee you cannot move your booking. For the last year or so MSC U.K. have let us move our deposits to another sailing but sadly no refunds. 

To be fair when we booked we knew the terms and conditions and MSC emailed me 3 times before we cancelled to see if we had found something else we would like to book and transfer our deposit to