Current pre-board testing requirements?

TrinaLC

I may be missing something obvious on the MSC website, but other than finding a requirement to present a pre-boarding negative test, I can't find the specifics, eg how many hours/days before boarding, whether PCR is required, whether they accept proctored online tests.

Can someone link to  the actual details which I must be somehow missing?  TIA 🙂

54 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Can someone link to  the actual details which I must be somehow missing?  TIA 🙂

Requirements vary based on where you are sailing.  This link will take you to their Health & Safety cover page:  https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures.

Scroll down and pick your cruise destination.  If it is the the Bahamas and the Caribbean, the requirements listed are:

• Guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated are able to cruise and must present proof of COVID-19 vaccine with the final dose being administered at least 14 days before the cruise.
  • All guests under 12 years of age (given our vaccination requirements) are required to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 3 days prior to ship embarkation.
  • These guests will undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation, provided by MSC Cruises, free of charge.
  • The only exception is that no pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is required for guests under 2 years of age.
  • Before booking your cruise, please click HERE to check if your country of residence is allowing guests to cruise in your selected destination.

We will continue to evaluate these requirements as local public health standards evolve. Please read all of the requirements below to ensure you are not denied boarding. 

1 hour ago, JAGR said:
  • Guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated are able to cruise and must present proof of COVID-19 vaccine with the final dose being administered at least 14 days before the cruise.
  • All guests under 12 years of age (given our vaccination requirements) are required to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 3 days prior to ship embarkation.

I read these on the website a few days ago, and I read it to say if you are vaxxed and over 12 you do not need a test before hand.

I know that is wrong, but this is MSC

1 hour ago, Fla Mike said:

I read these on the website a few days ago, and I read it to say if you are vaxxed and over 12 you do not need a test before hand.

Hey, I'm a lawyer and I interpret stuff like this all the time (yeah, lots of fun!) and I agree with you!  The way I read it is the same as you.

But I take it people are required to present tests as a condition to embarkation?  (Carribean/Bahamas)

Found elsewhere on their website:

• VACCINATION POLICY

All guests ages 12 and above
    must be fully vaccinated against
    COVID-19 and submit a negative
    test before boarding. All children
    (2 years or older) independent of
    vaccination status must submit
    a negative test as well. All crew
    are fully vaccinated and regularly
    tested.

•  
Edited by TrinaLC

1 hour ago, Fla Mike said:

8 minutes ago, Fla Mike said:

Yea.

We will have our test ready to show them when we get to the port.

Sorry guys not the case. You have to click on “pre cruise requirements” and scroll down to US and PR residents and it’s there in black and white that vaccinated pax over 12 yr old need to present results of a negative test taken within 2 days of boarding. Remember this is MSC and you almost need a PHD in deciphering horribly designed websites to find all of the info needed to cruise. Thankfully we all have Cruise Critic. 

Here it is if you follow the link posted above and scroll to see this 

0820F59E-36FE-45B1-A987-572AFEFA1021.thumb.png.3d4dec6872e14e3f545da16b7a8dff3c.png
9C04A226-9739-435A-BC04-D770F0F0E0F4.thumb.png.4a50e769ddb6a64412060c6c8d7a2e79.png

Edited by styles27

38 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Hey, I'm a lawyer and I interpret stuff like this all the time (yeah, lots of fun!) and I agree with you!  The way I read it is the same as you.

But I take it people are required to present tests as a condition to embarkation?  (Carribean/Bahamas)

Yes, unfortunately, I just gave you one of at least three "sets" of rules/guidelines that MSC has.  Their biggest problem is that they don't them or indicate a version or revision number.

2 hours ago, JAGR said:

Yes, unfortunately, I just gave you one of at least three "sets" of rules/guidelines that MSC has.  Their biggest problem is that they don't them or indicate a version or revision number.

Really irresponsible on their part!  Mark and I would get PCR test regardless just as a matter of prudence..

Yes many changes without any dated notification of the revisions.

It appears (from Below attachment) ,that they are no longer testing at pier (12 and over,US Citizen, for Bahamas) ,with your proof of vaccinations and 48 hour negative Covid test. States that those 12 and under must still submit to the pre embarkation testing  ( with their 3 day negative Covid test in hand). 

Can anyone confirm? May be a change due to the CSO’s expiration on the 15th?

5A5DEEF4-D08D-40E5-91C1-160C89D1E286.png

One thing I didn't see explicitly stated but hope is true is that when they say your final dose has to be at least 14 days before the cruise that this doesn't mean the booster. One of us will have had his booster shot about 12 days before the cruise. (Our 2nd vaccination shot was several months ago)

18 minutes ago, karmamule said:

One thing I didn't see explicitly stated but hope is true is that when they say your final dose has to be at least 14 days before the cruise that this doesn't mean the booster. One of us will have had his booster shot about 12 days before the cruise. (Our 2nd vaccination shot was several months ago)

A booster shot is not included in the FDA or CDC definition of ‘fully vaccinated.’  The labeled definition is at least 14 days from the second dose of the 2-dose regimen (e.g. Pfizer, Moderna)  or at least 14 days from the single dose of a 1-dose regimen (e.g. J&J, Jansen). The change to include the booster was not supported by the FDA.  

• Thanks 1

Isn’t it almost impossible to get a pcr test in two days?  

Edited to add actually looks like for adults antigen is ok. I assume that means proctored of course 

Edited by TrinaLC

They seem to change the requirements often and don’t always update the website. Somewhere on the website is a a statement that additional testing may be required based on the current conditions.  

I will be sailing Sunday on Meraviglia for 7 days and am getting an Antigen test at CVS on Friday. I expect to also be tested at the pier before boarding and again on Day 3, based on the attached letter posted by someone on a recent sailing.

897DF5E2-B5B5-47D5-ABA4-384A3A00F948.jpeg

5 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

They seem to change the requirements often and don’t always update the website. Somewhere on the website is a a statement that additional testing may be required based on the current conditions.  

I will be sailing Sunday on Meraviglia for 7 days and am getting an Antigen test at CVS on Friday. I expect to also be tested at the pier before boarding and again on Day 3, based on the attached letter posted by someone on a recent sailing.

897DF5E2-B5B5-47D5-ABA4-384A3A00F948.jpeg

I would say that the third day is not part of the procedure.  The sailing with this letter did not have testing at the pier.  It was done on day three with this cruise, but note that the letter says "The additional test...will now become a part of the embarkation procedures" for future cruises.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I would say that the third day is not part of the procedure.  The sailing with this letter did not have testing at the pier.  It was done on day three with this cruise, but note that the letter says "The additional test...will now become a part of the embarkation procedures" for future cruises.

I will report back after my cruise. But they will probably change again before the next one, lol.

• Like 1

An antigen test is fine as long as it's proctored or at one of the pharmacies or urgent cares that will give you a written report with your info on it, just like the other lines .It has to be at least 2 days prior to the cruise. Example: If your cruise is Saturday, the test has to be Thursday, Friday or Saturday. The day of the cruise doesn't count as a day. Hours don't count either.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Isn’t it almost impossible to get a pcr test in two days?  

Edited to add actually looks like for adults antigen is ok. I assume that means proctored of course 

The home proctered Binax tests have been a lifesaver for us. It removes all worry about "can I schedule an appointment in the short window before the cruise" or "will I get results back in time". It makes it so easy. Now we can save all our stress for just getting that negative result! 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JezzaC said:

Might be stupid question but MSC refers everywhere fully vaccinated / booster - so are they wanting passenger have to 2 or 3 shots?

Fully vaccinated per the vaccine you got.  First two shots for Pfizer and Moderna, one shot for Jannsen/J&J.  Make sure you have at least 14 days from the last shot.