HELP ME CHOOSE AN EXCURSION IN NAPLES

twinsaj

Fingers crossed we are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in May.  My DH and I trying to decide between two ship excursions on our Naples stop.  This is our first time in Italy and I was hoping those of you who have been there can help us make a good choice  The two we are deciding between is  " Amalfi Coast By Land and Sea" and  "Best of Positano, Sorrento and Pompeii" .  The latter is a small group tour and goes to Pompeii first.  The first is a scenic drive, an hour boat ride to see the coast and Pompeii in the afternoon.  They are both 9 hours.  I am choosing a ship excursion because as of now it seems that you need one to explore Italian ports.  Thank you in advance!  We are looking forward to hearing your opinions. 

Done both of these (or very similar tours).  The best of Positano, Sorrento and Pompei is a really good sampler of the beauty of the Amalfi coast and the history and ruins in Pompei, where the Amalfi Coast tour is spectacular scenery.  Me, I loved Pompei, as I like history and seeing all the buildings in various states and how people lived at the time.    My wife preferred to the scenery of the Amalfi Coast.  It really comes down to what you prefer.   Touring Pompei does entail a fair bit of walking, nothing real strenuous but you are touring what was a city.  One other note the best of tour definitely felt like a busy or packed day, where the Coast tour felt a little more relaxed.

Thank you for your thoughts. I feel like we should see Pompeii since we are there but we really do love to walk around quaint towns. Do you think either of these tours give us time to walk around the towns to shop and grab lunch?  Do you know of any other tours in Naples that we should consider??? 

21 hours ago, twinsaj said:

I feel like we should see Pompeii since we are there but we really do love to walk around quaint towns. Do you think either of these tours give us time to walk around the towns to shop and grab lunch?  

When we did this tour we spent the morning in Pompeii then we went to Sorrento had lunch (got my first Limoncello)  walked around Sorrento for a while before we were off to Positano where we had some time to explore before the trip back to the ship.

If you have to choose a shore excursion offered by the ship, my thought would be to choose the one that is a small-group tour. In general these offer a better experience and less waiting for everyone to catch up to the group, use the restroom, get back to the bus, etc.

You will NOT visit Positano on a large bus tour; they are not allowed into the town and it is probably the most charming of the Amalfi stops. (Many also like Ravello but I found it pretty dull. Of course, I am one who would always opt for Pompeii, so... horses for courses.) 

If you are not interested in Pompeii, why pick two tours that both stop there?

Thank you Woody14 and cruisemom42 for your responses.  Woody14  that sounds like a busy but great day.  cruisemom42 I think we would be happier with a small tour too.  I felt like I needed to do Pompeii but I'm realizing I don't need to do anything except enjoy myself!!  We enjoy food, wine and just seeing beautiful scenery.  I think I am going to find an excursion that just does some of the towns on the Amalfi Coast.  Unfortunately as of now Royal Caribbean isn't showing many excursions in each port.  

On 1/19/2022 at 12:25 PM, twinsaj said:

Thank you Woody14 and cruisemom42 for your responses.  Woody14  that sounds like a busy but great day.  cruisemom42 I think we would be happier with a small tour too.  I felt like I needed to do Pompeii but I'm realizing I don't need to do anything except enjoy myself!!  We enjoy food, wine and just seeing beautiful scenery.  I think I am going to find an excursion that just does some of the towns on the Amalfi Coast.  Unfortunately as of now Royal Caribbean isn't showing many excursions in each port.  

I lived about 45 min away from Pompeii for 2 years and didn’t go for a year....maybe waited until the last year even.....I agree that you should forget the “shoulds”.....I planned a trip with my friend in 2019 and since Pompeii is super large, I decided we would be better off doing Herculaneum.....smaller and more well preserved.....we were satisfied.....(though we had 3 more days in Campania haha) you pick what interests you most......it’s not worth it to try to pack EVERYTHING into one day.....

i love boats and Amalfi, so I would lean towards that.....it’s up to you....

but pompeii in the morning is a bit better before it gets crowded as the day goes on....and you might be less ok with all the walking first off, and relaxing in cute towns as you get more tired....

• Like 1

Thank you Kathscof!  I am leaning now towards two different tours.  One that just does a nice easy day in Sorrento and  one that does Sorrento and Amalfi.  The second one seems to have a ton of driving but I think it may be worth it to do both.  Thoughts??

40 minutes ago, twinsaj said:

Thank you Kathscof!  I am leaning now towards two different tours.  One that just does a nice easy day in Sorrento and  one that does Sorrento and Amalfi.  The second one seems to have a ton of driving but I think it may be worth it to do both.  Thoughts??

I would go for the amalfi one, as MY favorite side of the peninsula is that one.....sorrento feels to me like a large-ish town made for tourists, with enough space and options for everyone......the road to Amalfi is one of the most twisty and turns roads i have seen...(though I haven’t been everywhere in the world), if you get carsick, I would advise against it 🙂 the views are GORGEOUS and that side is what you think of when you think of the Amalfi Coast....to me, the tour with both seems like a good mix of not trying to do everything, but also making sure you make the most of your time....

Just another thought,  the tour that includes a boat trip as well would give you a relaxing way to enjoy the view. 
I also wouldn’t limit myself to Sorrento.  Wondering if they are offering a trip to Capri?  It is absolutely stunning and perhaps a more relaxing trip, with gorgeous views. And if you like wandering in smaller places Anacapri is lovely.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Just another thought,  the tour that includes a boat trip as well would give you a relaxing way to enjoy the view. 
I also wouldn’t limit myself to Sorrento.  Wondering if they are offering a trip to Capri?  It is absolutely stunning and perhaps a more relaxing trip, with gorgeous views. And if you like wandering in smaller places Anacapri is lovely.  

They do offer an excursion to Capri.  I will look into that as well.  Thank you!  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

I would go for the amalfi one, as MY favorite side of the peninsula is that one.....sorrento feels to me like a large-ish town made for tourists, with enough space and options for everyone......the road to Amalfi is one of the most twisty and turns roads i have seen...(though I haven’t been everywhere in the world), if you get carsick, I would advise against it 🙂 the views are GORGEOUS and that side is what you think of when you think of the Amalfi Coast....to me, the tour with both seems like a good mix of not trying to do everything, but also making sure you make the most of your time....

Ok.  I'll forget the only Sorrento tour.  We don't get carsick and love the gorgeous views.  Sounds like its worth the long ride.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

I agree with the poster who said don't limit yourself to Sorrento.  By itself Sorrento is okay (just okay), but in terms of the charms of the Amalfi Coast towns (Positano, Amalfi, Ravello) it doesn't compete. Also very many tourists stay there -- you are more likely to hear English than Italian in the streets.

And I also agree with considering Capri.  It's such a quintessential Italian experience and has a bit of everything -- scenery, history, food, shopping....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I agree with the poster who said don't limit yourself to Sorrento.  By itself Sorrento is okay (just okay), but in terms of the charms of the Amalfi Coast towns (Positano, Amalfi, Ravello) it doesn't compete. Also very many tourists stay there -- you are more likely to hear English than Italian in the streets.

And I also agree with considering Capri.  It's such a quintessential Italian experience and has a bit of everything -- scenery, history, food, shopping....

Thank you.   I am looking at the  Capri tours and they do look very appealing!  

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who responded!  We have decided to do the "Capri on Your Own" tour.  We will rent a private boat with a captain for 3 hours, then have a nice lunch and walk around a little bit.   The tour includes the ferry to Capri , transportation to the ferry and back.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Really too late to respond except to say that I think you made a great choice!  Pompeii is great, but there are plenty of other places in Europe where you'll see ruins.  (I know all ruins are not the same, but still....)  And Sorrento is a nice city but Amalfi and Positano appeal to me more.  Capri is still on my list for when I'm in that area again.

On 2/23/2022 at 8:53 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Really too late to respond except to say that I think you made a great choice!  Pompeii is great, but there are plenty of other places in Europe where you'll see ruins.  (I know all ruins are not the same, but still....)  And Sorrento is a nice city but Amalfi and Positano appeal to me more.  Capri is still on my list for when I'm in that area again.

Thank you!  Never to late to respond.  We are very happy that we chose the day in Capri.  Excited for a fun and beautiful day!

• 5 months later...
On 2/25/2022 at 6:20 PM, twinsaj said:

Thank you!  Never to late to respond.  We are very happy that we chose the day in Capri.  Excited for a fun and beautiful day!

Interested in the outcome of your "Capri on your own" tour.  I assume it's essentially RC just purchasing the ferry tickets on your behalf and then sending you on your way?  I'm considering this tour rather than purchasing the ferry tickets myself, only because RC is then responsible for getting us back to the ship, in the event there are any ferry or weather delays.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a Mediterranean cruise in 2010 (We were with an alumni group and things had been planned for us in advance).  When at Naples our excursion consisted of Pompeii, time in Sorrento, and a drive along the Amalfi Coast up to Positano where they arranged for us to have lunch in a local restaurant.  It was great.

I will be returning to the area in April 2023 on an NCL Star cruise.  We are trying to decide what to do.  Right now we are talking Pompeii and Amalfi Coast.  I am thrilled about seeig the Amalfi Coast once again.  Quite frankly, I can take or leave "Pompeii" but two in our group have not seen it, and they are probably going to want to. (I haven't seen a ship excursion that includes Pompeii, Sorrento, and Amalfi)

Were it me, I'd go with the Sorrento/Amalfi excursion.  I really liked Sorrento.  Can't explain what it was...but that was back in 2010.  Maybe it was the gelato that I had (LOL).  

Just be sure to include Amalfi.  And I wouldn't rule out a non-cruise excursion.  Evidently that's what I had back in 2010 ... and it was great.  (But if you can find the perfect excursion through your ship, then go fo it.  That way you don't have to sweat beating the clock to get back to the boat ... everyone tells me I need to get over that 'fear of getting back to the ship in time'.  LOL again)

We have also done both.  We did Sorrento, Positano, Pompeii last month (Aug).  What I like about this tour is it includes both the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii.  Here is a link to some of our pictures,

Med Cruise 22 (shutterfly.com)

And, here are some pictures from the Amalfi Coast by sea excursion (from a little longer ago)

Mark and Karen Europe 2012 (shutterfly.com)

On 1/17/2022 at 3:35 PM, twinsaj said:

Fingers crossed we are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in May.  My DH and I trying to decide between two ship excursions on our Naples stop.  This is our first time in Italy and I was hoping those of you who have been there can help us make a good choice  The two we are deciding between is  " Amalfi Coast By Land and Sea" and  "Best of Positano, Sorrento and Pompeii" .  The latter is a small group tour and goes to Pompeii first.  The first is a scenic drive, an hour boat ride to see the coast and Pompeii in the afternoon.  They are both 9 hours.  I am choosing a ship excursion because as of now it seems that you need one to explore Italian ports.  Thank you in advance!  We are looking forward to hearing your opinions. 

Okay, this is an unapologetically biased suggestion.  Yes, do Amalfi Coast at some time, it is so beautiful.  However, there’s much to do in Napoli as well.  My favourite is to visit the E. Marinella store about 20 minutes walk from port and pick up some ties.  And, going later in opposite direction visit Da Michele for pizza.  A simple day but pleasurable. 

• Like 2

There is also Herculaneum.  Those who have not previously visited Pompeii might find this interesting and those who have previously  visited Pompeii would find it a quite different experience.  The train station is on the same line (circumvesuviana which shuttles back and forth all day between Naples and Sorrento)) as the train to Sorrento. and from the Herculaneum train station there is also an option to go up Mt Vesuvius. (Internet search options) Or from Sorrento check your travel options for the Amalfi Coastal run. Pompeii on the same line so you could very easily combine either Herculaneum or Pompeii with Sorrento.

Herculaneum is often underrated, but it is more compact so far  less exhausting, and has buildings which in some cases are more complete than some in Pompeii. (Again, reviews and photos/images online)

As you have previously mentioned your anxierty about the ship leaving without you, I would advise some caution regarding the Amalfi Coast. Back in the day it was busy but manageable, but  In recent years the sheer volume of traffic on it has made it notorious for delays and accidents and I personally would not risk this on public transprt. (think over tourism) It got so bad in recent years that earlier this year, the authorities introduced a traffic flow system which involved car users with odd numbered plates using certain roads on certain days of the week and those with even numbered plates using them on the alternate days.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have already visited the major must-sees along Amalfi, or if you just feel like you need a really relaxing but also genuinely Italian experience, the thermal baths on the island of Ischia are worth a visit. The ferry to Ischia leaves next to the cruise port and takes about 1 hour. The best known and most liked baths are perhaps Poseidon, a day pass costs around 40 euros depending on the season, and you can take a taxi from the ferry port. It's a natural spring, and there are several outdoor pools with temperatures from 15 to 40 C, built into the hillside with beautiful landscaping and spectacular views. Ischia is less famous than Capri, but also much more budget friendly and very popular with the locals around Naples.