Jump to content

Hawaii covid update


carbon
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just heard that Hawaii in now requiring all visitors to be fully vaccinated with boosters.  Non compliant travelers will need to quarantine in state for 5 days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just reading Hawaii news. No date has been set for implementation...again, there will be a minimum 2 week notice before implementation. 

I live in Hawaiʻi and concur with what CruiserBruce said: it's not in effect yet, and they'll give two weeks notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jan 24 Booster requirement on Maui is only for dining indoors, gyms and other indoor activities.

Possible start date for boosters to be considered fully vaccinated for the purpose of Safe Travels account is Feb 18.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

any news on this now that it's the 18th?

Just flew into Maui a couple days ago-- type of booster, date of booster, and location that it was administered was required to get the QR code to avoid the quarantine. Most restaurants and bars universally check vaccination status to enter. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

any news on this now that it's the 18th?

Hawaii has dropped all plans to require boosters. They are publicly discussing the closing down of their Hawaii Safe Travels program, which has all the Covid protocols for visitors. Looks like it could be closed down by the end of March, possibly as soon as March 15.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maui has also dropped the vaccine card requirement to dine indoors starting Monday, February 19th. As of this time, Maui has no additional requirements other than safe travels and as CruiserBruce mentioned, there is talk that safetravels is going to expire entirely this spring leaving Hawaii wide open with no entry requirements.

 

To recap:

 

1) Entire State requires an up to date vaccine or negative test on safe travels form to enter. Although talked about briefly, No boosters have ever been required to enter the state.

 

2) County of Maui: Boosters to dine indoors was required January 24-February 7th only (and then scrapped after just 2 weeks). No boosters required for indoor dining on Maui.

 

3) County of Maui: You were required to show a vaccine card to dine indoors from the reopening until now. On Monday (February 19th) you will no longer be required to show a vaccine card to dine indoors on Maui.

 

4) Current chatter from Govenor Ige is that the safe travels program for entry will be eliminated this spring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

3) County of Maui: You were required to show a vaccine card to dine indoors from the reopening until now. On Monday (February 19th) you will no longer be required to show a vaccine card to dine indoors on Maui.

By law, but folks should also be prepared for private businesses to continue to require it to dine in their establishments. We're on Maui now, so haven't taken this for a test spin yet today, but in our home town of Philly, which dropped the vaccine mandate for indoor dining a few days ago, there are scores of restaurants that are still requiring it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

By law, but folks should also be prepared for private businesses to continue to require it to dine in their establishments. We're on Maui now, so haven't taken this for a test spin yet today, but in our home town of Philly, which dropped the vaccine mandate for indoor dining a few days ago, there are scores of restaurants that are still requiring it. 

 

I highly doubt that. First, isn't that inviting law suits on restaurants which have already been hammered with losses due to covid? I know there were a few places that tried to require vax cards in Michigan and they promptly dropped the requirement when the first law suits were filed. 

 

Second, living here on Maui since the beginning of January, my millage is VERY different than yours.  I have only had one restaurant ask to see a vax card (Monkey pod in Kaanapali). In fact, I only know of a few that have ever required a vax card (Monkey Pod, Merrimans here in Kapalua, Mamas fish house). I'm sure there are more, but I doubt there are more than 10 here in the resort areas. We do tend to prefer restaurants that have outdoor seating which is a factor, but let's be honest, 90% of restaurants here offer outdoor dining where a vax card was never required, so the vax card requirement really wasn't an issue for most tourists. Residents who like to visit the gym or who need to visit the DMV were more likely to be 'carded'.

 

Come to think of it, I was asked for a card twice. Once at Monkey Pod and once at the Montage Spa.  My friend works at Maui Brewery in Kahana, and she said they are rejoicing that the mandate ends Monday because they are one of the very few restaurants with only indoor dining and they are barely hanging on. It will be interesting to see just how many (if any) continue to require. If you identify the restaurants that required you to show a vax card this week, I'm sure I'm bound to dine at several sometime in the next few months and I can report back (other than Mama's... I feel like that place is way over-hyped so I won't be going there :)). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I highly doubt that. First, isn't that inviting law suits on restaurants which have already been hammered with losses due to covid? I know there were a few places that tried to require vax cards in Michigan and they promptly dropped the requirement when the first law suits were filed. 

No, a private business in the US can require things like this for entry. You cant sue a private business for them requiring shoes or a shirt, you can't sue them for requiring a vaccine. It's up to them to make a decision based on what they are comfortable with. 

 

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Second, living here on Maui since the beginning of January, my millage is VERY different than yours.  I have only had one restaurant ask to see a vax card (Monkey pod in Kaanapali).

Spago at the Four Seasons, Monkeypod Kaanapali, Maca Dang Dang, bar at the Montage, Lahaina Grill, Mamas, Fleetwoods on the inside downstairs-- all required vax cards for inside dining. You are right on the outdoor dining, and theres plenty of it at most restaurants, but for indoor dining they have been more vigilant than you have let on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, princeton123211 said:

No, a private business in the US can require things like this for entry. You cant sue a private business for them requiring shoes or a shirt, you can't sue them for requiring a vaccine. It's up to them to make a decision based on what they are comfortable with. 

 

Spago at the Four Seasons, Monkeypod Kaanapali, Maca Dang Dang, bar at the Montage, Lahaina Grill, Mamas, Fleetwoods on the inside downstairs-- all required vax cards for inside dining. You are right on the outdoor dining, and theres plenty of it at most restaurants, but for indoor dining they have been more vigilant than you have let on. 

 

Thanks for the information about private businesses. Perhaps they just felt the push-back so they relaxed the requirements.

 

I've had cocktails several times at the Montage and was never asked (but, as mentioned, I was asked at the Montage spa). We do eat at Lahaina Grill and Monkeypod semi-regularly so I will be able to report back on those establishments. At fleetwoods we always reserve top deck seating so vax card or negative test isn't required, but I will certainly ask if the policy has changed when we check in with the hostess next Sunday :). 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

At fleetwoods we always reserve top deck seating so vax card or negative test isn't required, but I will certainly ask if the policy has changed when we check in with the hostess next Sunday :). 

I can confirm tonight that both Lahaina Grill and Fleetwoods are still requiring vaccine proof even after the requirement lapsed. Fleetwoods also requires vaccine proof for their outdoor rooftop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

I can confirm tonight that both Lahaina Grill and Fleetwoods are still requiring vaccine proof even after the requirement lapsed. Fleetwoods also requires vaccine proof for their outdoor rooftop. 


The requirement  hasn’t lapsed yet. It will not lapse until tomorrow (Monday, February 21st.).

 

I will be absolutely shocked if fleetwoods requires a vaccine card after Monday when the proof of vaccine actually does lapse. First time I went to fleetwoods in 2022 was early January and we were not asked for vac cards. I figured it was because we had rooftop reservations.

 

I’ll be sure to double check with Lahaina grill too since you have me curious now. 

 

Time will tell…..

 

 

 

 


 



 

0C8A8B04-FC1F-4386-A048-F37CDDB3289F.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Fleetwoods also requires vaccine proof for their outdoor rooftop. 


I believe you maybe mis-informed. I just did a double check on fleetwoods web page to verify my personal experiences there with rooftop dining. 

 

These snips are directly from the fleetwoods webpage. They are very clear that vax cards are required for indoor dining and then go on to make it equally clear that rooftop is not the same as indoor dining. They even go so far as to clarify that standard reservations will all be indoors. When you make a reservation for fleetwoods you are asked if you would like standard or outdoor. This is likely the reason we have never been asked for vax cards to eat outdoors at fleetwoods :). 
 


 

 

A0A6F2BD-1968-4DF0-B608-E145A44E13AF.jpeg

92F09BD8-12D6-4AC0-9CE0-F32F62434D7F.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, carbon said:

I would love to go to Fleetwood's but they are not open for lunch.  Any other restaurant recommendations?

Don't know your taste in food. Many people like Cheeseburger in Paradise...wasn't really to our taste. We have eaten at Capt Jacks, Kool Cat (find the coupon for a free dessert...awesome, plenty to share for a couple) Waikiki (yes, in Lahaina) Brewing Co. All very good, reasonable for Hawaii prices.

 

All of these are outdoor eating places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Don't know your taste in food. Many people like Cheeseburger in Paradise...wasn't really to our taste. We have eaten at Capt Jacks, Kool Cat (find the coupon for a free dessert...awesome, plenty to share for a couple) Waikiki (yes, in Lahaina) Brewing Co. All very good, reasonable for Hawaii prices.

 

All of these are outdoor eating places.

Thank you for the great recommendations!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, carbon said:

I would love to go to Fleetwood's but they are not open for lunch.  Any other restaurant recommendations?

Tommy Bahama Marlin bar…we haven’t eaten at the Lahaina location but generally TB has good food.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2022 at 9:30 PM, princeton123211 said:

I can confirm tonight that both Lahaina Grill and Fleetwoods are still requiring vaccine proof even after the requirement lapsed. 


I can confirm that you are wrong. Just so there is no question, here is an email directly from the office manager of Lahaina Grill. I’m sure they will appreciate accurate information being shared.820967D2-78C8-489A-B087-7FCBF935B7CC.thumb.jpeg.f9948d940f65ae1fc1814524f669f3f1.jpeg

 

 


So far there have been zero reports of any restaurant keeping the vax card requirement in place since the mandate expired. Tommy Bahamas is are waiting for corporatist approval before making the change, which should come today or tomorrow.

 

@carbon all of these recommendations are great but they are Lahaina. Last I read I thought you were going to stay on the Kahului side of the island and not cross over the Pali? If that’s the case, let us know and you will get lots of recommendations :). 
 

I would add one recommendation to the list and luckily there is a location in both kaanapali or Wailea. You can get the amazing Monkey Pod Mai Tai topped with lilikoi foam. If there is a better Mai Tai on the island I haven’t found it. Only $10 during happy hour which also offers 1/2 off apps. It’s a tourist spot for sure, but I dream of those mai Tais. Yummm

 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways Announces an Extended Season on the Douro River
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...