Help 3* Mariner on first Princess Cruise

FlaMariner

4 hours ago, Greysandy said:

The Chef’s Table dining experience. For $115, we really expected different food than the regular dining room, but it was basically the same and even the same lukewarm temperature. No flavor, no interesting recipes, flavors or sauces. We were literally served the lobster risotto entrée from the night before. The main dish was just 4 proteins (filet mignon, lamb chop, shrimp and scallops) simply grilled and put on the plate with potato cubes and some carrots and beets cut into spheres. The service and experience was fun but the food was a complete let down other than the beautiful designs of the dessert in a ruby slipper, and the sorbet with a sugar swan.

That was the same thing we had in October.....you described it perfectly....lukewarm, main course was blah....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Greysandy said:

The Chef’s Table dining experience. For $115,

Safe to say we will not be signing up for that......

Awesome details and good info...especially since we are 3 Star folks going on our first Princess cruise.

Thank you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

THE MEDALLION - Once you figure out the app,

I'm glad you have a positive comment about the medallion.....The sign up process has been horrendous and makes me want to to toss it in the sea first thing.....I'll try to remain calm and keep an open mind but so far, based on my sign up experience, I hate it and everything about ti!

Thanks for the food comments....

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2022 at 2:54 PM, Bostonjetset said:

I’m not certain but I think he meant inside the cabin and there is no sofa. Princess doesn’t have sofas in the cabins until you get to the mini suite level. 

The Deluxe balconies on the newer Princess ships have sofas!

After many, many years and cruises with Princess, we "left" them after a disastrous New Years cruise on Regal Princess four years ago. I am not a fan of their new ships and won't be back unless they end up introducing some smaller ships down the line...

That said, here are a few of the top tips I have for Princess, assuming all of them are still au courant:

• If you drink coffee, Princess' regular pour is about as bad as it gets. If you are not getting some kind of beverage package, purchase a Princess specialty coffee card, and it also entitles you to regular brewed coffee (as opposed to coffee syrup) at their specialty coffee area free of charges (e.g., doesn't count as a punch on your card). 
  • Get to the main show early, if you plan to go. The theatre is too small generally for the crowd. That may not be a factor in reduced capacity/COVID era. The shows also tend to be very short. We often felt we spent longer waiting for the show to start (to get good seats) than actually watching it.
  • Alfredo's Pizzeria is a great spot for lunch. FREE specialty restaurant just off the main atrium's second or third level. They serve more than just pizza -- good pastas and salads too. 
  • Agree with the post above about Princess desserts. Especially if you see a Norman Love branded dessert on the menu, try it. They are excellent.
  • Chef's table was good when first introduced, but it seems to have devolved into being more about quantity than quality. If you're a real foodie, skip it. The best part was appetizers served in the galley while watching dinner prep -- but with COVID they may not do that anymore.
  • One of the bars used to host a fish & chips "Pub Lunch" -- only once on a one-week cruise, I think. They don't promote it so you have to keep an eye on your daily if interested. It makes for a nice meal and "something different".  
  • Like 1

Great list Cruise Mom....

So regarding the coffee....we are fine with HAL's no surcharge coffee....so Princess standard coffee is really bad?

Thanks for the pub lunch hint...we will look for that...enjoy the HAL fish n chips.

I've heard other good stuff about the pizza....we will make a dent in that.

Never understood any of this "loyalty" stuff but my first piece of advice to the OP is to try and put aside thoughts of comparison (between HAL and Princess) and just ease into the onboard routines that best work for you on Princess. And there are some significant differences.  On the Royal Class (which includes the Sky) and the Grand Class we think the heart of the vessel is in the atrium where the International Cafe is open 24/7 and a great area to get some coffee, snack, light breakfast, etc.  

Princess is pretty high tech and you will have a Medallion (the modern replacement for a cruise card) which is a handy little thing that will get you into your cabin, identify you to staff, easily allow you to purchase drinks, etc.  Once onboard, the Medallion App (which is free and can be installed on any Smartphone or device that has WiFi) is very useful and worth mastering.  So, for example, if you are sitting in the Atrium and want to order some coffee, tea, egg-muffin sandwich, etc. you can do it from your table by using the app.  No need to walk over the International Cafe and stand in a queue.  On deck you can use that same app to order drinks (which will be delivered to wherever you are sitting) or some food items.  That same app will show you the daily schedule, let you make dinner reservations (in any venue), let you view your onboard account, etc.  

Princess also uses part of their Medallion App as the means for you to complete most of the pre-cruise check-in procedures.  If you work your way through its various steps it will make check-in/embarkation very easy as your Medallion (which is sent to you prior to the cruise) will allow you to quickly work your way through the terminal.  

Princess has recently adopted a new dining program which has essentially eliminated Fixed Dining.  If you want, you can choose your dining time (and dining room) prior to embarkation (using the App) and you do have the ability to change those reservations once aboard (also using the app).  If you want a 2-top table in a specific MDR (there are 3) you can use the app to make the reservation.  If later you decide you want to change your reservation time or perhaps share a large table you can simply use that same app to make the change.  While there is a learning curve you might consider the app lets you do many things whenever you want no matter where you are on the ship.

Another difference is that Princess does have "Production Shows."  There are usually two show times every night which can vary by ship (and cruise director).  But there is generally an early show (often around 6:30) which is used by those who want to dine a little later (some very early diners will also try to make this very early show) and a later show (often around 8:30) for those who prefer to dine early and attend a show after dinner.  Our experience is that the early show is always less crowded.

One other tip.  Princess has terrific pizza!  In fact, we think it is the best at sea (although MSC is a close 2nd).  There is an Italian pizza restaurant in the Atrium (no extra charge) where you can order individual pizzas or some pastas.  There is also a pizza place on deck ("Slices") where you can get pizza by the slice.   We used to think that HAL has awful pizza, although it has certainly improved in recent years.  

I think the biggest adjustment for many long time HAL fans is that the Princess ships are huge!  Another issue with the Royal Class is that the regular cabin balconies have very little depth (a big negative).  On the positive side, Princess does have a lot of balcony cabins (unlike the older HAL ships).

Hank

58 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Great list Cruise Mom....

So regarding the coffee....we are fine with HAL's no surcharge coffee....so Princess standard coffee is really bad?

Thanks for the pub lunch hint...we will look for that...enjoy the HAL fish n chips.

I've heard other good stuff about the pizza....we will make a dent in that.

I don't drink a lot of black coffee, I prefer specialty coffees with some milk in them. But I can share that my parents (who sailed both Princess and HAL extensively) and like straight black coffee, always said the HAL coffee is drinkable.  Princess's is another level of bad.

It could be that they have upped their game since my last cruise with them, given the continued popularity of better brewed coffees and more robust roasts. You can try it once you're onboard before you decide -- but don't say I didn't warn you....

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Another issue with the Royal Class is that the regular cabin balconies have very little depth (a big negative).

Good intel...thanks...

Regarding cabin size....we booked a balcony guarantee and I just looked up the square footages of Princess and HAL....

The minimum disclosed for Princess is 179 sq feet

The minimum disclosed by Holland America is 228 sq feet

If I'm in a minimum balcony, 

That's a 27% difference....It does seem a substantial difference.

2 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Good intel...thanks...

Regarding cabin size....we booked a balcony guarantee and I just looked up the square footages of Princess and HAL....

The minimum disclosed for Princess is 179 sq feet

The minimum disclosed by Holland America is 228 sq feet

If I'm in a minimum balcony, 

That's a 27% difference....It does seem a substantial difference.

Don't get me wrong.  We do like Princess (over 360 days) and HAL (over 500 days)!  But it is true that Princess cabins seem to feel somewhat smaller than most HAL cabins (I do not know the exact dimensions).  Another issue with Princess goes back a few years when Princess decided to remove the "barrel" chairs (what they called the chair in normal cabins) from all their regular balcony cabins.  Princess claims it was done because the chairs took up too much space.  The result is that regular cabins only have a single chair (at the make-up table).  We joined the those who complained that a cabin intended for two persons should have at least two places to sit (other than on the bed).  When we book Princess we now book either a "Deluxe Balcony Cabin"  (slightly larger with a 2 person sofa) or a Mini-Suite (relatively reasonably priced).   On the other hand, as frequent cruisers who have been on 16 cruise lines (and more than 65 different vessels) we can find problems with cabins on just about every line.  The only near-perfect cabin (in terms of value) we ever had was a Signature Suite on the Prinsendam :).  

But this is why I suggest you fight the urge to do a lot of comparison and just "roll with the waves" and accept that every cruise line/ship has its pros and cons.  

Hank

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I'm glad you have a positive comment about the medallion.....The sign up process has been horrendous and makes me want to to toss it in the sea first thing.....I'll try to remain calm and keep an open mind but so far, based on my sign up experience, I hate it and everything about ti!

Thanks for the food comments....

I agree, I hated the sign up process (I'm old school).   I used the app mostly for the convenience of drink ordering.   The medallion itself is awesome, the opening of your door, convenience of purchasing items, getting on/off the ship....I never used a lot of the app features (people tracking/daily itinerary, etc), but for ordering drinks it was awesome.

As someone who is also taking their first Princess cruise (interestingly, the same cruise as the OP) I appreciate everyone’s comments.

I am in complete disagreement with Hank’s comments/presumption to “fight the urge” to compare.  Gaining knowledge so one knows what to expect is productive and wise.  It also brings an awareness so we are not disappointed, as well as learning what we have to look forward to or to watch out for.  If I hadn’t done a comparison I wouldn’t have known not to book a regular verandah due to the lack of seating, for example.  That would have been extremely disappointing.

OP, thank you for asking the question and thanks to all for your responses!  I am learning a lot.

• Like 3

On 1/19/2022 at 12:44 PM, FlaMariner said:

So you just stand on your balcony or sit on the floor?

We booked a balcony guarantee and it is a TA crossing and we enjoy the two chairs on HAL balconies.....(This might be a great question to confirm on the Princess board....thanks for passing that along)

There is a desk chair in every balcony cabin.  So, think of a chair with a straight back which would be appropriate for sitting at the desk that is in the cabin for writing, using the telephone, or while using the mirror behind the desk to dry your hair or apply makeup. 

What the poster was referencing was the fact that in addition to the desk chair there also used to be an upholstered chair (everybody called it the barrel chair) that was next to the balcony slider.  Several years ago Princess removed that chair from the balcony cabins--clearly, a cost saving move.  Well, as you can image, that did not set well with many Princess cruisers.  Interestingly, the first time we entered our balcony cabin after the barrel chair had been removed, Mrs. XBGuy, who was not aware of the change, remarked, "Ooh.  There's so much more room."  When, we wanted a second chair in the room, we just moved one in from the balcony.  It worked fine for us.  However, if you feel that would not work for you, then you might want to not consider a balcony cabin on Princess.

53 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

But this is why I suggest you fight the urge to do a lot of comparison and just "roll with the waves" and accept that every cruise line/ship has its pros and cons.  

Perfect advice and looking forward to our first Princess experience.......

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

As someone who is also taking their first Princess cruise (interestingly, the same cruise as the OP)

We will have a blast!

I'll bring you a tile and I'll be the one asking for bread pudding at lido lunch...LOL

Just a suggestion to the "balcony guarantee folks" to take a little time and explore if you can get a good deal to change that to a mini-suite guarantee or an actual mini-suite assignment.  It never hurts to ask (if you booked through a cruise/travel agent make the request through your agent).  Another option is to head to the Guest Relations desk as soon as you board the ship and inquire what kind of deal you can get if you want to upgrade to a mini-suite.  The only downside to asking onboard is there will be a queue at Guest Relations on embarkation day since others are trying to get upsells/upgrades and resolve other issues.  With many cruises operating at well below capacity (our recent Enchanted Princess cruises were about 50-55% capacity) there might be some decent deals.

Hank

Good suggestion Hitner.....

We booked this cruise a couple of weeks ago and the price is ridiculously low.....($50 a day/balcony guarantee) so I'm not sure I have much leverage for upgrades....I will first wait and see what the "upgrade fairy" grants us for our "guarantee" and then strategize as we get closer. 

I'm not wild about boarding and then heading to guest services to line up to beg/inquire as to upgrades....especially, as I've read, we may not go to our upgrade until the next day.....but we shall see.

8 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Yes!

We will be with you on the cruise.We are 3* on HAL and Elite on Princess so you can ask us any questions,if you care to.I can give you quite a few Princess tips.We are also on the 12 night cruise after the crossing,all in L104 which has the greatest view on the ship.

On 1/22/2022 at 4:38 PM, johnmik1 said:

We will be with you on the cruise.We are 3* on HAL and Elite on Princess so you can ask us any questions,if you care to.I can give you quite a few Princess tips.We are also on the 12 night cruise after the crossing,all in L104 which has the greatest view on the ship.

We have not been on Princess since '14. I'm debating between HAL and Princess to do the R/T to HI..we have done that cruise with both lines in the past. Wondering how different Princess is at this point as it's been awhile for us..we were last on HAL mid '19. Thanks for any help!!

A lot of us HAL folks on this Princess cruise.

The price did it for us...Incredible price that was half the price of HAL's April TA's. That was enough for us to give it a try...we shall see. 

(I feel like such a traitor though!  I hope the embarkation lady in Port Everglades does not "out us")