Help 3* Mariner on first Princess Cruise

FlaMariner

Any advice or suggestions for 3 Star HAL loyalists who are cheating and taking their first Princess Cruise?

Anything I will find familiar or different?  Any tips based on coming to this from my HAL experiences?

(We must confess that we got quite a deal on the Princess Sky TA in March....We will attempt to arrive incognito in Port Everglades and hope the embarkation staff or Park N Fly driver does not out us......(for you serious Covid types, we are not real about being outed..I'm just kidding....but I would like everyone who has done this to cough up intel))

Toss the advice and thank you!

Good morning, 

We've sailed both lines to Alaska (since we live north of Seattle) and do Princess when DH wants to ride the train at Skagway. They are similar in many ways. I find the Princess ships to be bigger and busier. There is more going on during the day. The International Cafe is a great spot for something light. I don't care for the layout of the buffet on Princess as I find it closed in and prefer the open layout on HAL. We didn't do the dining room much on our Princess cruises but do it every day on the HAL ones. 

Karen

• Like 2

We enjoy both cruise lines and think that you will notice more similarities than differences.

For our part, we really like the mini-suites on Princess and consider them a superior space to HAL's Signature Suite.  We also enjoy the variety of entertainment on Princess more than HAL's.  We find the food offerings in the Lido, MDR and specialty restaurants to be very similar, although that seems to be a bit different on every ship.  If you are foodies, call the Dine Line as soon as you get on and put in your name for the Chef's Table. Nothing on HAL comes even close to matching that experience.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 1

Thanks taxman too......

So we think the Signature Suites on HAL are not much more than our regular balcony cabin.....so agree, not worth it....

But the lowest suite at Princess is a true upgrade?  

Thanks for the info!

Most of the evenings we didn't see anything that really appealed to us on the dining menu. We most often had something from the buffet or the hamburger stand as that was DH's favorite. For some reason we found the menus more appealing on HAL and will go every night. 

We get handicapped rooms and the ones on Caribe deck are wonderful and so spacious! 

Karen

• Like 1

They are fairly similar but Princess has larger ships and skews slightly younger than HAL. 

The Princess ships I’ve sailed have had much lighter decor which we like. HAL ships tend to feel darker and “heavier” with the exception of the Pinnacle class ships which are more airy and quite stunning. 

I believe most Princess ships lack a wraparound promenade deck which is a negative for me as I enjoy walking laps in the shade. 

Princess plays Love Boat reruns on the stateroom TVs which is great. But HAL had an overall better selection of on demand movies. 

Food is so subjective and can vary among ships even within the same line but we’ve had great meals on both along with average meals on both. Never had awful meals on either. 

• Like 1

I’ve only done one cruise on Princess, so am not an expert by any means.  I prefer the layout of the buffet on HAL.  I found the one on Princess a bit confusing and never got it “down”.  I found myself wandering around looking for things.  However, the food was good at the buffet and in the MDR.  Sabatini’s, the Specialty Italian Restaurant, was EXCELLENT!  The food and service were superb.  I only wish I had reserved a meal here earlier in the cruise so I could have returned.  The burgers were good also.  The ships are noisier and busier than any HAL ship that I have been on, but I would cruise Princess again.

We have sailed both lines 22 times, almost 4 stars on HAL and Elite on Princess and obviously they are our favorites. I think Princess gives us more perks plus automatic 100 dollar Military OBC. I think food is a tad better on HAL. Entertainment about the same except that HAL has the Music Walk but Princess has more entertainment in the main showroom. Service is about the same which is excellent on both lines . A little bit more going on with Princess especially in the Atrium area with shows going on a good part of the day and the International Cafe area is always bustling. On the older ships both have old style promenade decks but HALs are much wider and accommodate the steamer deck chairs while the Princess promenades have cushioned chairs that recline a bit. I like the Grand Class Princess ships but HALs Signature Class ships are still our favorites. Older crowd on HAL, not many kids even when school is out. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

We cruise both lines, mostly HAL, on Princess as mentioned International Cafe, I have read recent reports that it closes now at 1:00am used to be 24 hours, probably because of less people on  board.  Also there is a coffee bar down there, used to buy 10 coffee card  I think it was $25.00 or $35.00.  Anyhow would use it every morning  for a Latte,  wonderful coffee and if you just used it for regular coffee would not count as one of the ten, wonderful seating area just beside it.  We have always enjoyed our cruises on Princess.  Just be open to differences.  I think Princess has more activities, like game shows, and other games around.  I do like the staff complement on HAL better.

• Like 1

We’ve sailed on both,  while we prefer HAL there are some things we like a lot onPrincess. I’m sure you’ll enjoy your cruise.   We too highly recommend the Chef’s table.   It was quite an experience.    My understanding is that there is no chair now on regular balcony cabins on Princess.   So this may influence your decision on stateroom.  And we vastly prefer that you can walk all around the promenades on all HAL ships.  

We are certainly not experienced cruisers.  We've cruised 3 times on Princess and will be trying HAL in September.  I've done a ton of reading on CC trying to learn as much as I can about both lines.  We book accessible cabins, and 3 of us travel together.

On Princess, you will not have a couch in a regular balcony cabin.  Sky Princess has deluxe balcony cabins which do have a couch.  We have cruised in a full suite, a window suite, and a club class mini suite.  For our needs, the club class mini suite is the best fit.  Lots of room, a large seating area with a couch, and Club Class dining.  Moving forward, we will only book mini suites on Princess.  For us, the added price for the full suite is not worth it.  We got a great deal on the window suite, but I missed the balcony.

Also, no covered pool on most Princess ships.

On our upcoming HAL cruise we have booked a NS as we need room for 3 of us in an accessible cabin.  There seem to be fewer accessible cabins for 3 on HAL than on Princess. 

We have chosen HAL over Princess in September for a smaller ship experience to Alaska.

On Princess, be sure to check out the International Cafe.  Great coffees/hot drinks and really good small snacks (sandwiches, salads, sweets).  Grab something at the IC and people watch in the central Atrium.

HAL and Princess are much more alike than different. The Royal class Princess ships have a real WOW factor when you get on, but that's about it. The one big advantage that Princess has, is their main shows, which are wonderful.

• Like 1

If you like ample, uncluttered  outdoor space, where you can see the ocean and the horizon, HAL wins.

If you prefer interior public spaces that resemble large resort style themed hotels, Princess wins. 

Bottom line: do you want to feel like you're on a ship going somewhere, or milling around in a hotel ? 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 12:18 PM, bennybear said:

My understanding is that there is no chair now on regular balcony cabins on Princess.

So you just stand on your balcony or sit on the floor?

We booked a balcony guarantee and it is a TA crossing and we enjoy the two chairs on HAL balconies.....(This might be a great question to confirm on the Princess board....thanks for passing that along)

9 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

We booked a balcony guarantee and it is a TA crossing and we enjoy the two chairs on HAL balconies.....(This might be a great question to confirm on the Princess board....thanks for passing that along)

I’m not certain but I think he meant inside the cabin and there is no sofa. Princess doesn’t have sofas in the cabins until you get to the mini suite level. 

12 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

No inside the cabin.  I read a lot of discussion that they were removed.  

ah, gotcha...LOL.that's no problem.....we only used it to hang clothes in our HAL cabin.......and it was in the way....I'm good with that....

now if it is no chair on the balcony it is game over!  LOL...thanks guys.

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 2

Here's my review of Princess from Thanksgiving:

We are 7 days from being 4 star mariner’s with HAL and are very satisfied with them, but tried the Majestic Princess last week because 4 friends were going with us and had chosen Princess. There are many similarities and differences between the two. Here are some of my comments on the positives and negatives of each.

Princess outshines HAL on these:

COFFEE!! It was so much easier to get good coffee. It was quickly and efficiently prepared at the International Café, even with a long line. Cappucino also available at the buffet, by walking into the bakery hallway. Several bars also have expresso or cappuccino available throughout the day. I have waited quite a while to get coffee at the Crow’s Nest, and waited for it to open in the morning.

Croissants are freshly baked each morning and throughout the mornings. The almond croissants were my favorite.

The ease of the Medallion, unlocking our room door as we approached, being able to track and locate anyone in your travel group at any time, being able to retrieve ship photos instantly and select the best ones, and being able to order drinks (or coffee) to your exact location was definitely a game changer.

Bars and food venues are open the full hours posted and don’t close early.

Allegro’s sit down no charge specialty pizza restaurant was fabulous.

Zumba class in the open air basketball court was a blast!

Fitness center was newer, cleaner and bigger.

Veranda room design was efficient with open closet and smaller bathroom, making for more walking space in the room. But there was no loveseat, and the beds seemed to be an RV Queen rather than true Queen.

The production shows were higher quality with fabulous singers who did some amazing opera.

Since most people had the drink package, there was no hassle if one person ordered two drinks at one time and brought one to their partner.

The reasons we will still remain committed to HAL:

The wrap-around Promenade walking deck. This is an absolute must have for me. It felt so claustrophobic to be on such a large ship but not be able to do some nice walking each morning and evening. The small walking lap on the Sports deck on the Majestic Princess was tiny and only 3 ft wide in several sections.

The Cabanas: We always book one for $400 and get a lower end room. We spend most of our time up there with the amazing service, and private outdoor space.

BB King’s and all of the other live music on HAL is just more to my liking. I did not care for the multimedia technology offerings at the pool.

The wine pairing (and beer pairing lunch we had on an Alaskan cruise) dinners are exceptional and rival high end tasting menu dinners we’ve had on land.

Many more craft cocktail offerings, cocktail classes. Several drinks that I now make at parties at our house were ones we tasted first on a HAL ship. Princess was limited to standard recipes except for Good Spirits at Sea, where a special menu was offered at that bar on some afternoons.

Things that were pretty much comparable:

The dining room food, buffet food, and Pinnacle/Crowne Grill steakhouse. I did not try Bistro Sur le Mer or Harmony on our recent cruise due to poor reviews from my friends. I do love Cannaletto and Rudi’s Sur le Mer on HAL. Our recent service on the Majestic Princess was better than prior dining room experiences on HAL, but my guess is that was due to the fact that the ship was fully staffed but only at 45% capacity. We are sailing on the Koningsdam in December and can compare then since it seems HAL has also moved away from the early and late seating and will have Dine your way.

Pools and hot tubs, as well as the thermal suite. Both cost $219/week per couple and had heated chairs and giant uncrowded hot tub with unique seats and jets.

Cooking shows, crew chats, game shows. Since none of these are all that interesting to me after doing many over the years, they seem fine for both lines.

The other evening entertainment such as comics, and featured musicians.

Major disappointment with Princess:

The Chef’s Table dining experience. For $115, we really expected different food than the regular dining room, but it was basically the same and even the same lukewarm temperature. No flavor, no interesting recipes, flavors or sauces. We were literally served the lobster risotto entrée from the night before. The main dish was just 4 proteins (filet mignon, lamb chop, shrimp and scallops) simply grilled and put on the plate with potato cubes and some carrots and beets cut into spheres. The service and experience was fun but the food was a complete let down other than the beautiful designs of the dessert in a ruby slipper, and the sorbet with a sugar swan.

Overall, we really enjoyed our Princess cruise, but we are still really looking forward to doing the same itinerary (for the 6th time) on the Koningsdam in a month.

• Like 2

We sort of rotate around between HAL , Princess and Celebrity. Princess and HAL are pretty similar experiences. We’ve seen a generally younger crowd on Princess, but that could be the itineraries. Agree the Pizza in the restaurant off the atrium is fantastic-best at sea! And free.

I think HAL has a slight edge for food in the dining room, but these things can also vary ship to ship. Big difference: dessert! I rarely eat dessert, but on Princess I won’t miss it. All are wonderful, from taste to presentation. HAL desserts are always a disappointment to me. Baked goods also are superior on Princess. 
Balcony cabins are smaller as mentioned, but the deluxe balcony category in Sky is larger and has a loveseat.  I prefer the closet placement in the Princess cabins too. Nice and open (almost a dressing area) with lots of room in the corner by the bathroom. HAL closets in the main entrance hall are poorly located and we find we are often in each other’s way when  we open the doors.

We really enjoy the classic ship look on HAL, but we also like changing it up and Princess is definitely lighter and brighter, but without the flash of some other lines. Princess Grand class ships have a nice wrap around promenade (plus steps!) like HAL which we love, but the Sky (and that class)does not. Sadly I think these are going the way of the dodo bird even with the new HAL ships.

We will be on the Sky in October 🤞🏻, and really looking forward to it!

Edited by sunviking90

I've cruised both lines many times.   I can speak about the food venues.  I found the specialty dining and buffets to be better on HAL.   

Crown Grill vs Pinnacle Grill.....there is no comparison in my opinion.  HAL wins this hands down.   Crown Grill tends to be much noisier and the food is hit and miss.   Pinnacle Grill the food is outstanding and the restaurant ambience is much nicer.

Tamarind ---- Nothing like this on Princess

Rudi's Sel de Mer (HAL) -  LOVE

Chef's table - Princess - It was good, not excellent but good.

Chef's table - HAL  this was excellent  

Harmony (Princess) ---  I know I'm gonna get flack on this, but it was truly one of the worst meals I've ever had on a cruise ship....ever   

Buffets - While Princess's is larger I find the food better on HAL

Allegro's (Princess) - They definitely outshine HAL when it comes to pizza

International Cafe (Princess) -  Princess made a great move by having this pretty much unknown little area to get snacks/sandwiches/soups/pastries/desserts/coffees.....I eat there A LOT.   They are open 24/7 too.....you won't find that on HAL

Princess has more "glitz" and HAL is more subdued.    I like them both.   If I want more activities, I'd choose Princess, if I wanted to get away from the world and people I'd choose HAL.   Obviously the age demographics on HAL is older.    

Crew - I found the bartenders to be a bit more attentive on HAL - they are were more engaging where as on Princess, they would give you your drink and move on.

Best thing about Princess - THE MEDALLION - Once you figure out the app, you can order all your drinks....I'd order a specialty coffee from the International Cafe and I kid you not, it would arrive to my room in 3-5 min and it was always piping hot.   I loved this and I wish HAL would come up with something similar.

Enjoy your cruise on Princess, we have a Hawaii trip booked for November and a HAL trip booked for April.    

Edited by cruzin4us
added info
  • Like 1