Purchasing internet package

ratherbecruzin

I’m trying to pre purchase an internet package for one device. I put my credit card info in and it says failure. I put another credit card number in and it says failure. Can I purchase it onboard? I’m platinum so wold I still get half off. The medallion app has not been kind!

idid purchase a coffee card and that went through!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ratherbecruzin said:

I’m trying to pre purchase an internet package for one device. I put my credit card info in and it says failure. I put another credit card number in and it says failure. Can I purchase it onboard? I’m platinum so wold I still get half off. The medallion app has not been kind!

Try using the princess.com web browser Live Chat functionality  during office hours to chat with a service rep.

Edited by brisalta

25 minutes ago, ratherbecruzin said:

I’m trying to pre purchase an internet package for one device. I put my credit card info in and it says failure. I put another credit card number in and it says failure. Can I purchase it onboard? I’m platinum so would I still get half off. The medallion app has not been kind!

i did purchase a coffee card and that went through!

I don't think you can purchase internet package via Chat as you cannot give them a credit card to bill you over Chat.  You can phone in and explain the #$*&^&^!)(&&!! MC App won't let you order and pay with your perfectly valid CC and they can do it over the phone. 

You can wait and order internet on board.  Do it on Day 1 and you are supposed to get the pre-cruise pricing because of the MC App issues.  If you have an issue, escalate. 

Regardless of when you purchase, and what you purchase, you get 50% off the regular price.  If purchasing ahead of the cruise, you are billed full price and the discount comes back to you as refundable OBC.  If you order on the ship, they just bill your account for the 50% net cost.  The MC App is supposed to be updated to recognize your member level and auto-apply the discount.

I am waiting to see if this is implemented before our next cruise. 

1 hour ago, ratherbecruzin said:

I also had a problem. Call Princess & they will add it for you. More expensive if you buy it on the ship. 

Tom😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 12:04 AM, ratherbecruzin said:

I am trying to purchase the internet pacakge on the Medallion app also. I've been having the same problems. I keep getting an error message, and  I even tried another credit card. But I get the same error message. I may contact my Princess CVP and order the package over the phone. 

I sailed last month and tried to buy the internet the first day and it doesn't discount. I went to the internet person and explained I didn't use an app or smart phone. He manually changed the price but told me that was not the norm. I'm sailing again next week and phoned into Princess and bought the internet package. I was charged full price and told 50% will be credited as refundable OBC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I sailed last month and tried to buy the internet the first day and it doesn't discount. I went to the internet person and explained I didn't use an app or smart phone. He manually changed the price but told me that was not the norm. I'm sailing again next week and phoned into Princess and bought the internet package. I was charged full price and told 50% will be credited as refundable OBC. 

I understood we could buy it onboard at the discounted price.  I also have not been able to buy it with the app. Keep getting an error message. 

and, yes, gone through the whole business of rebooting my phone, uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting the credit card, entering it again, etc etc.

I can tell you I won't be a happy camper if I don't get the discounted price once on board.

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The original idea was the new pricing scheme would be higher cost on board.  However, because of MC App issues (see an example below), there is supposed to be a policy that we get the pre-cruise price offer on embarkation day and then the higher price applies.  It may not be normal, but Princess Customer Relations has said it is the policy (and I don't see why it would change).  Expect it to change when the MC App offers the net cost to be charged to credit card.  You can call in and order internet in advance.

1 hour ago, diane.in.ny said:

I understood we could buy it onboard at the discounted price.  I also have not been able to buy it with the app. Keep getting an error message. 

and, yes, gone through the whole business of rebooting my phone, uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting the credit card, entering it again, etc etc.

I can tell you I won't be a happy camper if I don't get the discounted price once on board.

Regardless of which package price you are offered on board (the pre-cruise $10/day on Day 1, or the higher on-board cost of $15/day), you still get 50% off.   Because of your issues, you should be given the pre-cruise price on Day 1 (don't wait until Day 2) and you will be charged the net 50% cost to your room account (no OBC involved).  Before going on the cruise, I would write an email to CustomerRelations@PrincessCruises.com and why not copy AskOceanMedallion@carnival.net.  Include you ship, cruise date, booking code and explain your MC App issue.  You might say something like you expect these issues will be resolved someday soon, but you do expect to be paying the pre-cruise price on Day 1, less 50%, and NOT the on-board price.  Take the email with you.

If you get any hassle, take it up with the Captain's Circle host, Passenger Services Desk, but first ask the IT Manager to adjust the charge.  It seems Princess has not updated MC App to charge the pre-cruise price on Day 1.  This is probably because it is not the long-term plan.  It is an exception due to the MC App issues and the fact that it is charging full price and then you get OBC.

48 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

I thought I had bought the 4 device plan pre-cruise for our Majestic cruise. Got onboard and nope. I had to buy it onboard which cost 50% more even with our 50% off elite discount. Not sure why my purchase went through.

Too bad if you didn't keep proof of payment with the App screen.  Was your credit card charged pre-cruise for the internet cost?  That would be a proof and also indicate to you that the order had worked.  I know I would be checking my CC as the App has so many issues, I never know where the next one will come from.  In any trouble situation, you should have got the pre-cruise price on Day 1 and not had to pay the on-board price.  It's unfortunate you don't appear to have raised an issue about it and nicely demanded to get the pre-cruise price. 

I am not very happy at a lot of reports I am reading lately where folks who had various issues, were not getting the pre-cruise price without having to ask or make a stink about it.  Guests should be offered the pre-cruise price automatically on Day 1 and not have to go begging about it.  This is poor on Princess' part as it is like only guests "in the know" about the policy exception are getting the right pricing.  It appears the system has not been coded to offer pre-cruise pricing on Day 1 temporarily.  I wish more guests knew about this to exercise their rights to the correct pricing.

I have written CR about this again and do not have a response.

• Thanks 1

I also was not able to purchase the upgrade to 4 devices using the app.  I called And spent an hour that I’ll never get back with Princess trying to figure out what was wrong.  Rep kept telling me my credit card was no good….

Went to guest services as soon as I got on board the Majestic.  I had a dated saved screen shot showing that I had tried to upgrade earlier.  Princess gave me the upgrade at 50%.  

10 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

I also was not able to purchase the upgrade to 4 devices using the app.  I called And spent an hour that I’ll never get back with Princess trying to figure out what was wrong.  Rep kept telling me my credit card was no good….

Went to guest services as soon as I got on board the Majestic.  I had a dated saved screen shot showing that I had tried to upgrade earlier.  Princess gave me the upgrade at 50%.  

What are you saying above?  Just trying to clarify.  If you are Platinum or Elite, you get the 50% discount on all internet pricing.  The 4-device plan costs $20/day pre-cruise and $25/day on board.  (We will always get the 4-device plan as it costs the same pre-cruise as two single-device plans). 

Did you mean, they gave you the pre-cruise cost of $20/day, and then 50% off that?  That is what should have happened as long as you were ordering it on Day 1 (embarkation day).  As I mentioned in above post, this is a temporary policy due to all the issues guests having pre-ordering.  Problem is, it is a silent policy and only some "in the know" are aware of it and it doesn't seem to be happening automatically.

If you booked with Princess Plus, the single-device plan is included for both of you, so to upgrade to a 4-device plan is $10/day.  (It would be $15/day in theory for on-board purchase).  Again, you are eligible for 50% off regardless of when/how ordered.  Should be automatic.

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

What are you saying above?  Just trying to clarify.  If you are Platinum or Elite, you get the 50% discount on all internet pricing.  The 4-device plan costs $20/day pre-cruise and $25/day on board.  (We will always get the 4-device plan as it costs the same pre-cruise as two single-device plans). 

Did you mean, they gave you the pre-cruise cost of $20/day, and then 50% off that?  That is what should have happened as long as you were ordering it on Day 1 (embarkation day).  As I mentioned in above post, this is a temporary policy due to all the issues guests having pre-ordering.  Problem is, it is a silent policy and only some "in the know" are aware of it and it doesn't seem to be happening automatically.

If you booked with Princess Plus, the single-device plan is included for both of you, so to upgrade to a 4-device plan is $10/day.  (It would be $15/day in theory for on-board purchase).  Again, you are eligible for 50% off regardless of when/how ordered.  Should be automatic.

I’m Platinum and have Princess Plus.  On the Medallion app, tried to upgrade to a four device plan for $70 for a 7 day cruise.  Was not able to purchase ahead of time—kept getting a failure message.   Called the Medallion folks, cleared our my credit cards, put new credit card in, etc. and was told that my credit card was declined, wrong date, etc.

On board, app allowed me to plan for $70.  Went to Guest Services where they allowed me to purchase the plan for $35.

Are you telling me that if I had purchased the plan for $70, my account would only have automatically been charged $35?  Not sure how much I trust the app…..  we keep getting charged for drinks.  It’s a daily CrewChat for us to adjust our onboard account.

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

I’m Platinum and have Princess Plus.  On the Medallion app, tried to upgrade to a four device plan for $70 for a 7 day cruise.  Was not able to purchase ahead of time—kept getting a failure message.   Called the Medallion folks, cleared our my credit cards, put new credit card in, etc. and was told that my credit card was declined, wrong date, etc.

On board, app allowed me to plan for $70.  Went to Guest Services where they allowed me to purchase the plan for $35.

Are you telling me that if I had purchased the plan for $70, my account would only have automatically been charged $35?  Not sure how much I trust the app…..  we keep getting charged for drinks.  It’s a daily CrewChat for us to adjust our onboard account.

I understand.  Yes, the upcharge for 4-devices is $10/day either pre-cruise or on-board.  If the App is looking to charge full cost on-board, then it looks like either someone does an override or you get the $35 back as Refundable OBC.  The Internet Mgr should have been able to adjust as well.  Glad to read you got the proper net price.

I've been following threads of this type for some time now.  We all know the app certainly "has its issues" 😄.  On the other hand, has anybody who had issues pre-cruise tried using the Personalizer?  That has always worked for me in the past...but most all of my bookings for the past couple of years have had a wifi promotion in place.  

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've been following threads of this type for some time now.  We all know the app certainly "has its issues" 😄.  On the other hand, has anybody who had issues pre-cruise tried using the Personalizer?  That has always worked for me in the past...but most all of my bookings for the past couple of years have had a wifi promotion in place.  

Ordering internet was removed from CP.  Hopefully, will return when the new website CP is released.

Just want to re-affirm a couple of things that I have on good authority from CR (nothing has changed from my many posts on the topic).

1. Guests who pre-order MedallionNet receive Refundable OBC on-board.
  2. If you wait until on-board - or cannot pre-order due to MC App etc, you can get the pre-cruise price on Day 1. 
  3. Supposedly, phone reps cannot adjust the price to 50% when pre-ordering, so not sure how one case I read about happened.  I guess it was some sort of override (perhaps I will call some day and see if it works for me).
  4. No date to announce for when MC App will be updated to only charge 50% for eligible guests.

Edited by Steelers36

I was having the same issues when trying to order via the app.  After several failed attempts I noticed a faint blue box on the payment page, where the credit card comes up.  The box says “select”.  I clicked the box and voila the payment worked!  It is easily overlooked.  I hope this helps someone.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Just want to re-affirm a couple of things that I have on good authority from CR (nothing has changed from my many posts on the topic).

1. Guests who pre-order MedallionNet receive Refundable OBC on-board.
  2. If you wait until on-board - or cannot pre-order due to MC App etc, you can get the pre-cruise price on Day 1. 
  3. Supposedly, phone reps cannot adjust the price to 50% when pre-ordering, so not sure how one case I read about happened.  I guess it was some sort of override (perhaps I will call some day and see if it works for me).
  4. No date to announce for when MC App will be updated to only charge 50% for eligible guests.

I order it with Princess rep. Your discount will appear as OBC when on the ship. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

Unlimited and Affordable Internet

Choose from one-device or four-device packages, starting at just $9.99 USD when you purchase pre-cruise through the MedallionClass app. Platinum and Elite guests get an exclusive discount of 50% off.*

*Discount will be applied on board in the form of an onboard credit.

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Unlimited and Affordable Internet

Choose from one-device or four-device packages, starting at just $9.99 USD when you purchase pre-cruise through the MedallionClass app. Platinum and Elite guests get an exclusive discount of 50% off.*

*Discount will be applied on board in the form of an onboard credit.

What are you trying to say?

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

1. Supposedly, phone reps cannot adjust the price to 50% when pre-ordering, so not sure how one case I read about happened.  I guess it was some sort of override (perhaps I will call some day and see if it works for me).

You might be referring to a post I made a few days ago.  I had trouble with my cc on the app when trying to purchase internet for an upcoming 10 day cruise. I called Princess to see what they could do.  The woman I spoke to was able to purchase the internet for me at a cost of $100 (rounding).  She then told me I would receive the 50% discount once on board the ship.  I knew that was what was supposed to happen and that was the end of it. 

About an hour later I had to call Princess for something else.  During my conversation I mentioned that I had just purchased the internet for $100.  This woman said that I should have been charged $50.  She said that when the new perk came out there was no way for their system to know who was Elite and Platinum so they devised the system of the up-front payment with the reimbursement on the ship.  She then told me that there is now a code that an agent such as herself can enter at the time of purchase to give the discount right away.  She then cancelled my previous internet purchase and sold me a new one using the code.  I was charged $50.  She told me this code was very new and not all the agents even knew about it as yet.  It was not an override.  To me it was one of those right time right person situations.

If you do decide to call Princess make sure you tell them that there is a code and if the person you talk to doesn't know about it have that person ask his/her supervisor.  Good luck.  Hope it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CTGirl said:

You might be referring to a post I made a few days ago.  I had trouble with my cc on the app when trying to purchase internet for an upcoming 10 day cruise. I called Princess to see what they could do.  The woman I spoke to was able to purchase the internet for me at a cost of $100 (rounding).  She then told me I would receive the 50% discount once on board the ship.  I knew that was what was supposed to happen and that was the end of it. 

About an hour later I had to call Princess for something else.  During my conversation I mentioned that I had just purchased the internet for $100.  This woman said that I should have been charged $50.  She said that when the new perk came out there was no way for their system to know who was Elite and Platinum so they devised the system of the up-front payment with the reimbursement on the ship.  She then told me that there is now a code that an agent such as herself can enter at the time of purchase to give the discount right away.  She then cancelled my previous internet purchase and sold me a new one using the code.  I was charged $50.  She told me this code was very new and not all the agents even knew about it as yet.  It was not an override.  To me it was one of those right time right person situations.

If you do decide to call Princess make sure you tell them that there is a code and if the person you talk to doesn't know about it have that person ask his/her supervisor.  Good luck.  Hope it works.

Thanks for expanding on your earlier post - I do recall it.

• Like 1

I tried pre-purchasing the 4 device package on medallion app on my tablet, I have an upcoming 7 day cruise with the plus package. After it gave me the credit card error, I called princess and she did not find the code. I did see after the fact that my app had not yet been updated, there was a recent update two days ago. I then pulled out my phone which has the updated app and was able to purchase the upgrade 4 device package, although for the $70.00, so at least partial success but not the discount.

21 minutes ago, JanetGofWI said:

I tried pre-purchasing the 4 device package on medallion app on my tablet, I have an upcoming 7 day cruise with the plus package. After it gave me the credit card error, I called princess and she did not find the code. I did see after the fact that my app had not yet been updated, there was a recent update two days ago. I then pulled out my phone which has the updated app and was able to purchase the upgrade 4 device package, although for the $70.00, so at least partial success but not the discount.

If there is a code or way for a Princess rep (or something only a CVP knows???), I am thinking it may only work for a new package order and not the upgrade from free single-device package to 4-device package.

Looks like they may be starting to issue more frequent App updates as they fix bugs.

Edited by Steelers36

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If there is a code or way for a Princess rep (or something only a CVP knows???), I am thinking it may only work for a new package order and not the upgrade from free single-device package to 4-device package.

Looks like they may be starting to issue more frequent App updates as they fix bugs.

After reading earlier posts I was hoping the could find the proper code and I could possibly post it here, to save searching for others. Unfortunately that didn’t happen. They did look up my upcoming cruise, I told them I was platinum, had the plus package, etc.