St Lucia…4x4 waterfall and beach adventure or coastal cruise to the Pitons?

Jacob Cavalier

40 minutes ago, Jacob Cavalier said:

We have booked the Celebrity 4x4 trip . Liked the sound of it and doing something on land as we have catamaran trips booked on other islands.A lot of people very enthusiastic about the cruise to the Pitons however and it’s just been added. Which would you pick and why?

I think the Pitons are iconic. They would be my pick

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I think the Pitons are iconic. They would be my pick

We have seen the Pitons from land and sea and definitely preferred the sea view. I guess it depends on what you would also see on your other option. 

Are there other options  to catamaran trips at your other ports? Totally agree with you, OP, that you want a range of different trip types….

Edited by chemmo

The Coastal Cruise to the Pitons has been a favourite of ours for years.... That said, we did this one in November on Celebrity Silhouette and it was not good.  It was a huge "boat" (not a catamaran) a double decker type of thing, not enough seats for the number of people so many have to sit on the floor, the swimming stop was down right unsafe (I realize this may have been due to currents that day but the captain of the boat should know that and have a back-up).  Most had extreme difficulties trying to get back onto the boat.

It was bad.  To the extent that I won't book this excursion again.  And we've done it every year for about 15 years.

• Like 1

I agree that the Pitons are a must see, I also go each time I visit.

I have, however, also once gotten on the horrible barge trip that Josie describes. I believe that's the one Royal Caribbean uses. Nasty unprofessional thing with limited seating on folding and plastic lawn chairs. 

It's cheap - $49, $59 range, that should be a giveaway . For a much better experience , look for an actual  Catamaran sail down there, and it most likely will not be as cheap. 

You don't say when you are going, but if it is a ways off, and restrictions are lifted, recommend a private sail down there, like https://www.mysticmantours.com/.

They go off shore a bit on the way down to allow for whale and dolphin sightings. Also a different perspective of the Pitons than the usual trips that hug the shore. 

• Like 1

We've stayed in St. Lucia at Sandals on many occasions, as well as having stopped on cruises multiple times. I too would recommend visiting the Pitons, but I'd strongly suggest that you consider taking your excursion with Spencer Ambrose Tours. http://spencerambrose.com/  I've booked with him a couple of times, and I think that they do a wonderful job. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again next time we visit St. Lucia.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sun bum said:

The Pitons get our vote. We go every time we visit St. Lucia  (6x). It never gets old. Be sure to have them cruise into Marigot Bay and also stop at the black sand beach along the way.

DSCF4887.JPG

DSCF4908.JPG

DSCF4856.JPG

That is exactly what we did on our visit to St. Lucia...it's beautiful...was on a nice catamaran.  

My thoughts on Coach trips right now are a no go...as long as they are doing contact tracing...I'm not getting locked into that.  No pun intended.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We've stayed in St. Lucia at Sandals on many occasions, as well as having stopped on cruises multiple times. I too would recommend visiting the Pitons, but I'd strongly suggest that you consider taking your excursion with Spencer Ambrose Tours. http://spencerambrose.com/  I've booked with him a couple of times, and I think that they do a wonderful job. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again next time we visit St. Lucia.

Reviews on Spencer Ambrose have been mixed lately. One aspect of his tours that I read on their website, and others have had issues with, was that you pay with PayPal online prior to the booking and there are NO REFUNDS if you can't make it even if your ship doesn't dock or you can only do ship tours. They issue a future tour credit however, that may not be practical since you're on a cruise rather than stauing a week in a resort on the island. Since you pay via PayPal rather than a credit card you may not have the same options to challenges the lack of refund.

• Like 1

just booked the West Side Treasures by Catamaran on the celbrity site - maybe a compromise for you?

Overview

Sail along the rugged northwest coastline of St. Lucia on a catamaran excursion that's bound for beautiful Pigeon Island National Landmark. Stroll along the island's beach and wander along the charming trails leading to the historic fort. Then, set off for Marigot Bay, a stunning natural harbor, which is surrounded by lush forested hillsides that touches the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea. See with the two mountainous volcanic plugs, The Pitons a natural wonder to behold. Circle the base of these iconic natural peaks rising out from the depth of the ocean floor and towering upwards into the clouds. Savor a scrumptious buffet lunch on board before enjoying a refreshing swim at a secluded bay.

Highlights

• Step onto a sailing catamaran for a cruise excursion along St. Lucia's rugged northwest coast.
  • Savor an onboard buffet lunch, then enjoy a refreshing swim in Marigot Bay.
  • Thrill to the sight of St. Lucia's iconic natural volcanic peaks, the Pitons.
  • Wander along the paths of the historic fort at Pigeon Island National Landmark.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RBKL said:

Reviews on Spencer Ambrose have been mixed lately. One aspect of his tours that I read on their website, and others have had issues with, was that you pay with PayPal online prior to the booking and there are NO REFUNDS if you can't make it even if your ship doesn't dock or you can only do ship tours. They issue a future tour credit however, that may not be practical since you're on a cruise rather than stauing a week in a resort on the island. Since you pay via PayPal rather than a credit card you may not have the same options to challenges the lack of refund.

That information conflicts with what his website says:

In light of the pandemic, we are currently waiving deposit payments in order to reserve spaces.  Your tour payment is to be made in full on the day of your tour and is payable in US CASH ONLY!   Credit cards are not accepted.

It also doesn't jive with our personal experience. In 2014, we had booked an excursion and paid a deposit. Due to a medical issue, DW and I flew home mid-cruise and missed the cruise. Spencer was very understanding and refunded the deposit in full.

• Like 1

Something is confusing. This is in their FAQ:

Due to the extraordinary high volume of cancellations, pandemic uncertainties as well as travel and cruise restrictions, all cancelled tours from May 1, 2020 and onward, will have their deposit credited towards a future tour booking with Spencer Ambrose Tours.  There is no deadline on when to book and this credit can be applied at any time.

We sincerely apologize that until this pandemic resides and tours are able to fully resume, we are unable to offer refunds.  We appreciate your understanding as we work together through these challenging and unprecedented times.

We look forward to offering our guests a fun and exciting day of adventure.  Take good care of yourselves and stay safe.

1. We have the 4x4 booked as well, but it skips the Pitons and I SO want to see these iconic landmarks! Are they viewable from sailaway?

2. I am fine cruising with my motion sickness patch (miracles!) but haven't had the nerve on our many cruises to try catamaran sailing - should I get over this?

3. That contact tracing issue makes me want to cancel all our other excursions - if you're not on a boat trip that access near port, you really are at risk from just being in a vehicle with others. So frustrating.

4. We've had Spencer on standby for almost 2 years now. Kind of torn about what to do.

We've had this island on our list for so many years, and for some reason now it's the most challenging excursion planning island for our March cruise.

Edited by sakigemcam
  • Like 1

We love catamarans. As a result of having two hulls they tend to be calmer than single hull ships. Of course the conditions on any given day can and will vary. They also generally don't go as fast as speed boats. 

Of course it is something you have to decide for yourself. My BIL gets sea sick often however, has done well on cruise ships and almost all of the catamarans we have been on.

• Like 2

Sakigemcam, this is one of the reasons we booked the 4x4. We reckoned they would be open and low occupancy and it said pick up from the port and so avoid a bus. It’s awful to have to scrutinise everything to this extent but really we want to reduce the risk of contact tracing and quarantine.

• Like 1

Used Spencer twice to go to the Pitons.  High speed boat ride.  Bit chilly in morning, but after multiple rum punches, the temp went up.  Great day at the beach with them.   Will look to use them again in August.   

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jacob Cavalier said:

These are great suggestions everyone. Wondering if the swim off the boat is far out at sea. Bit worried about currents . And are there sharks? Cowardly UK person here!

Scuba diving and snorkeling are two of the most popular activities in St. Lucia, and most of the coastline from a few miles south of Castries all the way down to the Pitons is part of a protected marine reserve that includes 16 dive sites and many snorkeling sites. DW and I have spent a lot of time diving there, and sharks are not an issue. (On the other hand, you are advised not to swim from the beaches because of sharks in St. Lucia, South Africa!)

As for swimming off the boat, any stops I've seen or experienced have been very close to shore, usually in shallow water to enable swimmers to see the marine life below them. Currents aren't a factor.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jacob Cavalier said:

These are great suggestions everyone. Wondering if the swim off the boat is far out at sea. Bit worried about currents . And are there sharks? Cowardly UK person here!

The swim we went on off the catamaran was nice, they backed into the black sand beach, and most everyone got off...water might have been 6 feet deep or so at the base of the ladder.  I saw no one with any issues...

No sharks that I saw.  🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sakigemcam said:

1. We have the 4x4 booked as well, but it skips the Pitons and I SO want to see these iconic landmarks! Are they viewable from sailaway?

2. I am fine cruising with my motion sickness patch (miracles!) but haven't had the nerve on our many cruises to try catamaran sailing - should I get over this?

3. That contact tracing issue makes me want to cancel all our other excursions - if you're not on a boat trip that access near port, you really are at risk from just being in a vehicle with others. So frustrating.

4. We've had Spencer on standby for almost 2 years now. Kind of torn about what to do.

We've had this island on our list for so many years, and for some reason now it's the most challenging excursion planning island for our March cruise.

1.  I don't think so.

2.  I would try it at least once.  

3.  I understand not wanting to be on a motor coach with others, just because of the way they are doing the tracing right now...

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 8:43 AM, Josie201 said:

The Coastal Cruise to the Pitons has been a favourite of ours for years.... That said, we did this one in November on Celebrity Silhouette and it was not good.  It was a huge "boat" (not a catamaran) a double decker type of thing, not enough seats for the number of people so many have to sit on the floor, the swimming stop was down right unsafe (I realize this may have been due to currents that day but the captain of the boat should know that and have a back-up).  Most had extreme difficulties trying to get back onto the boat.

It was bad.  To the extent that I won't book this excursion again.  And we've done it every year for about 15 years.

Was this one 4 hours?  Do you have any pictures of the boat?  I'm also curious if it left from the dock or did you have to travel to get on?  Thanks for the information!