Luggage Forwarding services, yea or nay. Our nightmare....

shark b8

Perhaps Luggage Forward should find another carrier--if there is a better one.  I have never liked DHL much as anytime they have been the carrier for various things for us--it has never been a seamless operation.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I wonder if Seabourn only uses the one provider, does anyone know?

Aloha, frantic - I'm pretty sure they're the only luggage-forwarding partner Seabourn has, but of course there are lots of independent agents/carriers that will perform the service; it would just be up to the cruiser to choose one & make arrangements, with no connection to Seabourn.  That's the only reason I didn’t do a lot of investigating/shopping, I automatically went with the ol' "if it's good enough for Seabourn, it's good enough for me" idea.

Edited by shark b8

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

Perhaps Luggage Forward should find another carrier--if there is a better one.  I have never liked DHL much as anytime they have been the carrier for various things for us--it has never been a seamless operation.  

The one time that I had to use DHL for luggage returning from a world cruise terminating in Fort Lauderdale, the service worked well.  I even received a phone call on the morning the day when the luggage would be delivered to inform me of this.  Not trying to make excuses for DHL. but the pandemic and recent weather issues may be part of the problem.  Yesterday, I received a package shipped from New Jersey via UPS Ground that took two weeks to arrive.  That's unusual for UPS, I think.  

I hope your recent experience with UPS was unusual ,   Luggage Forward  used UPS to pick up my luggage for Feb.13 cruise.  Luggage Forward sent an email confirming that my luggage  was picked by UPS minutes after - along with a tracking #

Before choosing  Luggage Forward I checked on the internet for high rated  luggage services . There were several companies that had good reviews- including Luggage Forward.  

Hoping for the best, but I will pack changes in my carry on--just incase.

Luggage (which we were told would arrive back home Jan 19) is split into 2 shipments, one is still in Cincinnati, the other "departed a DHL Facility" in Honolulu, 2 days ago.  We may have been on the Odyssey but I feel like we're still enduring the Iliad.  😱

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you for contacting DHL Customer Care. Please choose any of the following replies…

(a) It takes a long time to paddle on a surfboard from Oahu to the Big Island.

(b) It's a weekend. We don't work weekends.

(c) We didn't want to deliver an incomplete shipment, so we're waiting for the other package to arrive from the mainland.

(d) We're shipping your bags back to Cincinnati so all the bags can be re-united and resume their journey together

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Can. It. Be???

Yes it can.  2 of the  3 suitcases arrived yesterday, the last one (the one we hurriedly bought and filled up with ill-fitting clothes in Maimi, the day before embarkation) is "scheduled" to arrive today.   ("schedule" has become an artful word, with this saga).

• Like 3

On 2/8/2022 at 12:59 AM, cruiseej said:

Can. It. Be???

178682629_ScreenShot2022-02-08at12_53_39AM.thumb.png.6099c850af49d9796d9aa5810f11fb0c.png

It's too bad that luggage doesn't earn frequent flyer mileage.  Delta did that kind of "wandering luggage" from Vancouver to Dayton a couple of years ago.  The luggage would have racked up more miles than I did on my itinerary.  

Warm thanks to all for posts of support and humor - all three wayward suitcases have finally found their way home (including the one we panic-bought and filled, and insisted that Luggage Forward incorporate into our pre-paid agreement).  If there is any interest in all this going forward, I for one would love to hear reports from fellow cruisers.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Will never use Luggage Forward again, not worth it!!

My luggage was damaged on the return portion of my trip as well as taking 2 weeks to return to me with no available and accurate tracking. DHL used a large fat Sharpie permanent marker to write on my bag that I am now stuck with on a light grey spinner carry-on bag.

WARNING: Luggage Forward does not reimburse/warranty or honor any claims for any exterior damage or intentional damage to the exterior with by the transit process itself or by the carrier personnel.

Did I ever imagine DHL would use a Sharpie to write on my bag? No. Why would I think that?

Won't be using them again. 

Will never use Luggage Forward again. My experience not worth it...My bag was written on by DHL using a large and fat Sharpie Permanent marker...why? And, why should I be asked to accept that as usual behavior? At least I got my bags back...

Check out the nightmares here: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/luggageforward.com?stars=1

We had a wonderful experience with Luggage Forwarding December Thru Cunard White Star Luggage Service.   Bags had to be ready for pick up 2 weeks before our QM2 trip but they were in our cabin once we boarded.    They were picked up after we went thru Customs in Brooklyn and at our front door 48 hours later.   UPS picked up and delivered the bags.   This was in December 22.

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

Hmm...which is more likely---an airline losing your bags or Luggage Forward failing to get your bags to the ship?

I keep asking myself that question. Sounds like UPS is more reliable than DHL so maybe shipping it to the hotel ahead of time directly through UPS. hmmm

We have used Luggage Forward with Seabourn and Regent (who recommends the same service) with excellent results. We have an upcoming trip and I would not hesitate to use them. There are times that they do not recommend shipping to a certain port ( Buenos Aires in December, Peru last year) so we just take luggage with us.  With all the luggage issues on airlines (and cargo) I am sure you can run into issues but thankfully we have been spared.  This past July we used LF to ship two suitcases to the ship embarking in London. With all the lost luggage earlier that month we were worried but it made it. Now, we usually ship one bag (each) and bring one bag with us so that makes us feel more comfortable and still makes it easier to maneuver through cabs, airlines etc. And we usually travel on the ship over a month each time so two suitcases are pretty much needed. So, I would continue to be confident in this service.

Non-USA residents should be somewhat cautious about the services offered by Luggage Forward and other luggage services common in the US.  In Canada, DHL is not one of our major couriers.  We had a disappointing experience - DHL would not deliver outside the city, and had no idea where we lived, or where our bags were.  They finally confirmed they were at our nearest airport, but beyond that - they were more prepared to return our bags to the departure port than to allow us to come and pick them up.  Our expedition ship offered the luggage services for the parkas, boots, etc.  We used that amenity, but never again.

there is no way I would risk using this service.  Yes, luggage can be a pain.  You know what eases that pain?  Tip the porters.  Tip the cab driver.  Tip the curb check in agent at the airport.  For a lot less $$$ (and very little hassle) you can almost guarantee that your bags will make it.  But good luck to those that chose to use it.

9 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

there is no way I would risk using this service.  Yes, luggage can be a pain.  You know what eases that pain?  Tip the porters.  Tip the cab driver.  Tip the curb check in agent at the airport.  For a lot less $$$ (and very little hassle) you can almost guarantee that your bags will make it.  But good luck to those that chose to use it.

I agree.  I am one of those people who watch like a hawk the airline ground crew label up my cases at check in before they go on their journey.... checking they have put on all they should (sad I know!)

I could not cope with any uncertainty, and I have known of more than one person whose luggage didn't arrive until near the end of the cruise, or it took 6 weeks to get back to them when they got home!  

22 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

Yes, luggage can be a pain.  You know what eases that pain?  Tip the porters.  Tip the cab driver.  Tip the curb check in agent at the airport.  For a lot less $$$ (and very little hassle) you can almost guarantee that your bags will make it.

But none of those people are responsible for where most luggage goes astray when it does. You can't tip the baggage handlers on the tarmac or in the sorting facility in the bowels of the airport. Nor the automated sorting scanners, computers and conveyor belts which can route your luggage halfway around the world, or to arrivals rather than to your connecting flight. 😉

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

FWIT

My parents used Luggage Forward 3-4 times per year for many years (my mother still does) and only once did they have an issue - my father was greeted with this  news: "We're very sorry Mr XXXXX, your suitcase was accidentally dropped into the sea. A diver has recovered it, and it is onboard now." Seabourn saw to the expedited dry cleaning/laundry/shoe polishing etc.

• Haha 1

We've used Luggage Forwarding twice now.  Once on the outbound only, to Barbados.  The other both outbound and returning on our Alaska cruise.  We had zero problems and loved the convenience.  The risk of the luggage not making the ship is not any more than taking it yourself and checking it on the airline.  Not having to hassle with schlepping the bags to and from the airport, not having to check bags and wait for them at the airport baggage claim was huge to us.  Also, we always try to arrive at least a day or two before a cruise, but the bag we shipped ahead contained stuff we would only need for the cruise.  So it was a bag we didn't have to mess with before we needed it.

It is a pricy convenience, but I will absolutely use it again.