Promenade-like lounging areas on the new Rotterdam?

grest

Not really. There is the sun deck pool, but not much shade there- hence the name.    We got a cabana at the Retreat on the top deck for this very reason. It was not an unobstructed view (the glass blocks your view a bit) but you can buy one for the sea days if you want, or for the entire cruise.  We wanted a quiet area where we could sit and watch the sea. Wish they had the chaises on the promenade deck but it is not wide enough to fit any. I did walk there every day and didn't see many people at all.  We also hung out there to see us leave and enter the ports, we were mostly alone on this deck the entire time. To sit they just have some not very comfortable benches. Oh well. 

2 hours ago, grest said:

I understand that the promenade deck does not include loungers ....is there elsewhere in the ship for lounging/reading/watching the world go by in the shade other than the pool area?

Sadly no (and its not a "promenade deck" when only 1 person can fit around some areas - but don't get me started). What I had to do is check the location of the sun and ship and drag a lounger to a shady spot up top. Obviously it changes as the sun crosses and the ship turns but for a few hours you may get shade. 🙂 

• Like 2

The absence of the promenade deck and where the lounge chairs are on said deck is the precise reason we cancelled cruises on  the NS for this spring.  We find that we want to be 1) outdoors 2) in the shade 3) where it is quiet and 4) we can go to the shady/cooler side where they aren't working to maintain the ship!  Being around the Lido is just not desirable for us because of the loud music and general noise.  We want to be able to enjoy being outside.  The idea of having to rent a cabana is just not something we want to do, and again, you're above the Lido pool.

• Like 4

Interesting...We find it very comfortable and quiet above the lido pool.  Some serious naps were taken on our cruise on the Rotterdam in October.  And the loungers/sofas are super comfortable and there is a privacy curtain on many.  We would never pay money for a lounge chair on a ship either.....And the upper lido area is no charge and quiet and comfortable and no sun.  Try it...you might like it!

We also love the walkway promenade deck for getting in our laps and we don't want to be in the sun.  It's also nice not to have to dodge those wooden loungers when making a round.....

Interesting how folks see things so differently........

Enjoy the journey!

• Like 1

Interesting we found that the music on the Lido deck was so loud that even upstairs we heard it loud and clear. We went to the sun deck - same issue. 

One of my major complaints with all cruise lines is the constant bombardment of loud music in all public spaces.  We gave up cruising for many years because we could just not find a quiet outside area.  The retreat saved my mental health - since though there was still music it was low enough for me to still stay sane.  I agree though - there should be music free outdoor spaces.   Now that HA has done away with the promenade deck chairs, they should rethink the constant music and realize that there should be public areas w/o music blaring non stop.  

• Like 5

I wracked my brain and could not think of a single time there was loud music on the Lido deck.  Okay, maybe the HALcats a decade or two ago, but that’s it.

I totally get why some people like loungers on the prom.  It’s kind of like going home.  But the new ships are beautiful with fantastic showers and awesome interactive TV’s for bedtime.  I can’t think of one time where I’ve said no to being on a ship, no matter which one it is.  🙃

• Like 3

In our experience, the wooden loungers on the promenade deck are tucked farther back from the railing in indented portions on the promenade deck and are not in the way of walkers; based on what everyone is saying re NS, K and R promenade decks, those decks are very narrow, so in comparison, the lounge chairs shouldn't be in the way of walkers on the NA and Eurod. plus other ships.

Yes, if I ever get on the NS, K or R, I will in fact look for the area above the Lido in the shade, free of charge, that y'all mention.  Funny this subject would come up as in a picture someone posted in the last couple of days on the Konigsdam, I noticed that deck just above the pool seemed to have shade and comfortable? lounge chairs and wondered about it.  But the loud, dizzy music we've experienced on the other HAL ships' Lido decks can't be present or that would be a deal breaker for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

The absence of the promenade deck and where the lounge chairs are on said deck is the precise reason we cancelled cruises on  the NS for this spring.  We find that we want to be 1) outdoors 2) in the shade 3) where it is quiet and 4) we can go to the shady/cooler side where they aren't working to maintain the ship!  Being around the Lido is just not desirable for us because of the loud music and general noise.  We want to be able to enjoy being outside.  The idea of having to rent a cabana is just not something we want to do, and again, you're above the Lido pool.

There is no absence of a promenade deck. There is only an absence of steamer chairs on said deck.  I completely understand that some people miss those chairs and respect that. However, if one wants to walk or stroll (which is literally the definition of promenade) there is a shaded deck to do so in keeping with the tradition. 

49 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I wracked my brain and could not think of a single time there was loud music on the Lido deck.  Okay, maybe the HALcats a decade or two ago, but that’s it.

I totally get why some people like loungers on the prom.  It’s kind of like going home.  But the new ships are beautiful with fantastic showers and awesome interactive TV’s for bedtime.  I can’t think of one time where I’ve said no to being on a ship, no matter which one it is.  🙃

Agreed. HAL is hardly known for a party atmosphere and I too have never experienced excessive loud music on their Lido decks. Also, the pinnacle class ships are, as you said, beautiful. I truly think they are wonderful additions to the HAL fleet. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tupper10 said:

we found that the music on the Lido deck was so loud that even upstairs we heard it loud and clear.

So we've been on two HAL cruises since the unpleasantness.... (NA and Rotterdam)

We spent a lot of time on the Lido deck and the upper lido deck on the Rotterdam.  We cannot recall loud noise or music or passengers.....and on the Rotterdam, we managed a few very good naps. 

And her majesty reminded us of the conversations we overheard from our fellow passengers on the upper lido deck on Rotterdam.  It was quiet enough to hear their lunch plans.   oh, and the ping pong ball at the other end.

(we did not experience the noise others reference)

My great aunt used to sail to England on the Queen Mary or one of those ships, and I would imagine her sitting on the promenade deck with her knitting and her cup of tea.  I thought that sounded like the most fabulous thing in the world.  I’ve only been on one cruise and didn’t sit on the deck, but I thought sitting in a lounger in the Crow’s Nest with a book and glass of wine was pretty darn fabulous!  I’m about to go on the Rotterdam for two weeks and plan to make the Crow’s Nest a daily destination, and I  might try out a wooden bench on the promenade, too.  Can’t wait!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Interesting...We find it very comfortable and quiet above the lido pool.  Some serious naps were taken on our cruise on the Rotterdam in October.  And the loungers/sofas are super comfortable and there is a privacy curtain on many.  We would never pay money for a lounge chair on a ship either.....And the upper lido area is no charge and quiet and comfortable and no sun.  Try it...you might like it!

We also love the walkway promenade deck for getting in our laps and we don't want to be in the sun.  It's also nice not to have to dodge those wooden loungers when making a round.....

Interesting how folks see things so differently........

Enjoy the journey!

Agree.  I'm a reader and love the quiet and that deck above the pool is quiet.  Amazing, but true.

Since we're on the subject, I would appreciate a description of the lounge chairs available on the covered deck above the Lido pool that we're talking about.  I'm assuming they are NOT steamer chairs with the raised/curved/user-friendly portion under the knee.  I'm assuming they are the flat back (adjustable angle), flat leg chair with a foam cushion--is that correct?  The kind of fabric on the chair that looks like window screening (so that they don't "give" at all but are sturdy)?   And a cushion top to bottom? Thank you for your help.  For us this is really important to know.  Thank you.

44 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Since we're on the subject, I would appreciate a description of the lounge chairs available on the covered deck above the Lido pool that we're talking about.  I'm assuming they are NOT steamer chairs with the raised/curved/user-friendly portion under the knee.  I'm assuming they are the flat back (adjustable angle), flat leg chair with a foam cushion--is that correct?  The kind of fabric on the chair that looks like window screening (so that they don't "give" at all but are sturdy)?   And a cushion top to bottom? Thank you for your help.  For us this is really important to know.  Thank you.

They are very comfortable and have a good cushion.  They are not steamer chairs, which I liked for the armrests.  However, these are adjustable and offer a fine view of the shining sea.

This was taken at one of the tables in front of the New York pizza place on Deck 10 above the pool on Rotterdam last month.  After the pizza place tables, there are maybe 8 loungers and  some cushioned small chairs in groups of four around smaller tables.  To the right, you can just see the backs of the white lounger padded seating that wouldn’t be comfortable for sleeping.  
Same setup on the other side where there is a bar instead of pizza.

Music seemed to range from Michael Buble to those screaming women who go by one name.  

0DE42F6E-51B1-4F51-8210-5896A7184985.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I found this on the web.....not good pic but look at the upper deck and then there are two rows of seats....the first row is the big sofas but behind them are big comfy lounge chairs.....w/curtains between each pair of loungers. 

As to what they are made of, it seemed to be the high end outdoor furniture fabric that dries quickly.  I did not bother adding a towel but her majesty adds a towel layer before stepping on to her lounger.

Perhaps others have better pics.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=WvfAaPqg&id=0945C535F16E550C7BC1E4A3D9822A945852C2CD&thid=OIP.WvfAaPqgW0zJS-hdgDdj2AHaEK&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2ftraveloni.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2fKoningsdam-Lido-Pool.jpg&cdnurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR.5af7c068faa05b4cc94be85d803763d8%3frik%3dzcJSWJQqgtmj5A%26pid%3dImgRaw%26r%3d0&exph=1080&expw=1920&q=holland+america+line+rotterdam+++lido+pool&simid=607997971520104739&FORM=IRPRST&ck=F3AE40604AFE0E5CD9737C6D8E894AD4&selectedIndex=14&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the pictures and information.  Just what we enjoy--facing the sea for sure.  FlaMariner, as one lounge-user to another, I think your wife has the right idea always putting a towel over the lounger cushion between you and the chair.  I know I'd appreciate that courtesy if I were the next passenger using the cushion and chair.