Probably just talking off the top of my head

Petoonya

But really, we are all so sick of COVID and what it's done to limit the way we live. I'm mad as hell and not going to be undecided- or take it anymore.

I'm cruising in early August, fp is due in May, and this is it. Husband and I have talked and regardless of where we are at that point I'm paying. Going to pack and plan on going. I can't  really afford FCC's and $ for the same cruise, or lose the airfare or hotel. But I don't really give a damn. I'm just paying it (maybe foolishly and wastefully) and believe we're going. I've always thought that positive thinking, except when it means looking at the glass half full, just doesn't make it in reality. But I'm not going to positive think- just start sticking the swimsuit and leopard sandals in the suitcase.

• Like 6

An ominous update appeared on the presidents web site Feb 2nd. However I am more concerned about my March cruise than your August cruise. If omicron does take off down there as this update may be suggesting, any shutdown of FP should have come and gone by August.

On a more optimistic note, nearly all of the new cases are community spread, so even if the virus runs rampant in FP the authorities may see little point in closing the island.

https://www.presidence.pf/point-de-situation-sur-le-coronavirus-au-28janvier22-2-2/

In a perfect world we might be able to count on August, but I think about August the same way I think about March  (no sorry, a lot more about March as it's on your front doorstep). But we've learned that with COVID, the best laid plans are moot. COVID is here to stay and who knows about July, Aug Sept this year or 2023 or 2024. It's all a crapshoot. Yes, Omicron 1 and 2 may have disappeared by then but likely the next one follow. And the next and the next. Not just speculation. It will. We can't kid ourselves.

But my heart goes out to you with a sailing next month and can only keep the faith for you.

• Thanks 1

Barring a covid test problem, we are leaving in a week for a 9-night resort trip to Tahiti and Moorea. I have several cruises booked 2023 onwards. But I'm not booking any cruises now. I am not satisfied with the prospect of getting a FCC, instead of a cash refund, in the event that I have to cancel due to covid. I'll be posting more about this trip on the Pacific forum.

I looked seriously at the Windstar Feb 10 cruise, when it was around $1800 pp. But I really didn't want an FCC on Windstar in the event of a cancellation.

Heard from Mercruiser and a few other people's and got their advice. Then checked with my travel insurance provider and found I'd supposedly be reimbursed if I'm in quarantine post cruise. Remains to be seen how that would work, but gives me some peace of mind in the short term.

• Like 2

Hello

I agree with you 100% 

After 3 years of planning and canceling and rebooking and switching ships etc etc...

We just got back....

I can tell you that all the testing before, all the testing upon arrival , all the pre board testing was ALL WORTH IT!

We had an amazing Vacation, did the 18 Day DOUBLE the TAHITI on the Breeze. 

We were Blessed by 18 days of Sun and Clear skies.

The Fish and the Coral were Vibrant and abundant.

This trip Exceeded our wildest dreams and expectations...

Kudos to you and your wise recommendations. We did ATO Lissant tour in Fakarava and We keep pinching ourselves to make sure we were not in a dream.

Fakarava waters were incredibly Crystal clear and the Snorkeling location he took us were indescribable.  We were so lucky to end up at LOW tide on the Lunch Stop and were were able to Walk what seems for ever on one inch deep water over the Sand Bar.

The memories of that day will stay with us forever.....

So YES Sometimes we have to let life happen and do what we can to protect ourselves but we need to LIVE. 

You go!!

• Like 2

@bigedwin Wow Big. What a wonderful experience you had! We did same Twice November 2019 and it's impossible to describe to anyone who hasn't done it just how exquisite it is. And absolutely terrific that you had sun and blue skies the whole time. I get chills hearing your report.

And yes, you understand how you have to let the fear go and just believe you're going to do it. You accomplished it and were hugely rewarded. Soooooo happy for you. Memories that are incomparable.

Petoonya..

I feel your frustration.  We had been really looking forward to 2 weeks on Oceania in January. However, after the CDC said that nobody should cruise, we started to wonder if this was a good time to go.  With Omicron spreading, we canceled the cruise a week before it sailed. I was really sad after canceling.  It was a tough choice.  As it turned out, the cruise had many covid cases and problems.  Not sailing was the right choice. It didn't make me happy.  I need to go somewhere. 

We love Windstar, but we’re not happy with their “what if” scenario if one tests positive on board. Their answer was “you would probably be put off the ship and made to quarantine in whatever port you were in”.

We just came off a Regent Seven Seas Explorer cruise on Monday. We booked it because of their Covid protocol. If a passenger tests positive on board, you will quarantine in your cabin and not be put off the ship. We had an amazing cruise and no worries about a “what if” scenario.

I read on here that the spa team on The Breeze tested positive a couple of weeks ago and were quarantined in their or someone else’s  cabins. Maybe its where in the world you are cruising that determines what Windstar do with you.

On the other hand maybe they keep “positive”:crew on board but remove positive passengers regardless of where in the world ?

Also has anyone been told unequivocally that the crew have received their booster?

Thanks r&rd. It sounds crazy that they would NOT get their crews boosted, but I had not heard any updates re The Breeze, and then the outbreak amongst the spa employees only (the passenger giving the trip report on here said no passengers tested positive) had me going “hmmm”

Caveat: I am an outsider, no experience yet .with Windstar, though I do have several weeks booked over the next year.

i returned three days ago from my first cruise since Fall, 2019. On Celebrity, our usual ride. A b2b in the Caribbean, out of Lauderdale, total 3 weeks. I hope/expect Windstar is like Celebrity. All crew and passengers vaccinated and tested. More importantly, all ports of call thoroughly inspected, evaluated, and eliminated if the shore-side protocols were not to Celebrity standards. Of our 11 scheduled ports, most had limited movement ashore, two were cancelled at the last minute. I felt super safe, was very happy to be at sea again, away from crowds of strangers at the super market etc, within a comfortable bubble. 

My advice, go cruising! As long as you are not totally committed to the idea that you “must” visit a particular port, go. Enjoy the journey and rejoice when the shoreside experiences do meet your expectations.