Ocean Cay - Beaches

FrostyJoe

We have been to Ocean Cay 3 times.  We liked Sunset Beach the best but you really need to rent an umbrella or a cabana because there is no shade.  South Beach just seemed to deserted and Lighthouse Beach was too close to the ship, it seemed like everyone got off the ship and went straight there. The advantage there though is that there are free chairs and umbrellas. 

Since we are going twice in 2 weeks and the ship will more than likely still be pretty empty, I think we will try Lighthouse beach at least once.  

29 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

We have been to Ocean Cay 3 times.  We liked Sunset Beach the best but you really need to rent an umbrella or a cabana because there is no shade.  South Beach just seemed to deserted and Lighthouse Beach was too close to the ship, it seemed like everyone got off the ship and went straight there. The advantage there though is that there are free chairs and umbrellas. 

Since we are going twice in 2 weeks and the ship will more than likely still be pretty empty, I think we will try Lighthouse beach at least once.  

Thank you. Sunset does look nice…does it have paved path all the to the beach from the ship?  And my understanding is no lifeguards there right?

The beach by the ship has lifeguards..and lovely sand.

All guest beaches have life guards that we’ve seen

YC beach is rocky right now…we think the big hurricane that stalled over the Bahamas swept a lot of sand out…you need tough feet or water shoes

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

YC beach is rocky right now…we think the big hurricane that stalled over the Bahamas swept a lot of sand out…you need tough feet or water shoes

Totally agree. Love going to Ocean House but that beach is atrocious. The beach itself is great but if you want to go in the water you do need water shoes. 

I enjoyed Lighthouse beach last month. Free seating and umbrellas, trees for shade, food truck nearby, etc. There were less than 600 on the ship, so there was never a crowd either of the 2 days we were there.

A73213E0-C885-4FE3-B844-9E308985FA50.jpeg

A1C48A51-EC4C-4A58-99AD-FCBB3C36E90D.jpeg

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FrostyJoe said:

Thank you everyone.

Can anyone confirm if there's a walkway/path approximately where I drew in the red line below?  Google image shows some kind of construction going on mid-island and I'm not sure if that's done yet

image.thumb.png.3a99e841fc6e3b554f526661ba1ccaca.png

The work going on in the center is actually a holding area for equipment to be used on island.
Speculation of more housing for staff. Speculation of water park style venue for cruisers. I posed this question to YC Director when we were there in November. He said flat out, “No, not happening”.

OC is a marine preserve.  Big piles of sand at north end of OC. This was brought in to repair beaches damaged by storms. They have front loaders to do this. 

As you can see from above map, all walking trails are paved. Walking through the “ work area” won’t work. It is fenced off.

• Thanks 1

I just saw a YouTuber who went on I believe January sailing filming themselves at sunset…that’s why I was asking to see maybe it’s open.  Or perhaps they went in without approval….

It looks really nice but further away from bar/buffet 🥴

1 hour ago, FrostyJoe said:

I just saw a YouTuber who went on I believe January sailing filming themselves at sunset…that’s why I was asking to see maybe it’s open.  Or perhaps they went in without approval….

It looks really nice but further away from bar/buffet 🥴

It's likely the latter. It's really easy to walk around the barriers. I did so when I tried to take a shortcut from the BBQ over to the Lighthouse Bar. My first visit to OC was in January 2020, right before the world closed. Sunset beach is beautiful, but as you say it is a bit of a schlep from everything else.

21 minutes ago, Cruiser Bruiser said:

It's likely the latter. It's really easy to walk around the barriers. I did so when I tried to take a shortcut from the BBQ over to the Lighthouse Bar. My first visit to OC was in January 2020, right before the world closed. Sunset beach is beautiful, but as you say it is a bit of a schlep from everything else.

Yea….10 min round trip to the bar/buffet might be 10 minutes too long 😂 I’m sure we’ll want to take a walk there. But
thats probably about it…

was south beach muddy/fast drop off to the water?  I understand lighthouse bay has gradual drop off?

with the lower pax loads lighthouse looks more and more attractive!  Besides for slightly further away from seaker. Irony since prob last one on our list with a full ship

5 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

was south beach muddy/fast drop off to the water?  I understand lighthouse bay has gradual drop off?

I remember Sunset beach as having a fairly gradual drop off, but there was a fair amount of coral to walk around. I snorkeled from the beach, and I was surprised that there were more fish than I would have expected. But because of the wave action, it was a bit murky. I had the same experience at Ocean House Beach this past cruise (my one and only YC experience). Those are the only beaches from which I have entered the water.

Thank you everyone!!!  

I got another random question about OC:  Has anyone went out at night to star gaze (not through the excursion)  Just wondering how good the star gazing was if you've been out star gazing, since the ship is like a mega micro-light polluter...

And I understand there is some sort of a curfew for overnight stays?  11 pm all on-board time???

Edited by FrostyJoe

20 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

Thank you everyone!!!  

I got another random question about OC:  Has anyone went out at night to star gaze (not through the excursion)  Just wondering how good the star gazing was if you've been out star gazing, since the ship is like a mega micro-light polluter...

And I understand there is some sort of a curfew for overnight stays?  11 pm all on-board time???

We did not go out just to star gaze but was out on the deck after the light show and the stars were awesome.  You should have no problem unless of course it is cloudy.

• Like 1

Am I right that ocean cay is not like coco cay that rccl has??????Ar coco cay, you can use your drink package from the ship and the food comes from the ship. It seems that ocean cay is just a stop that has some beaches, but nothing like coco cay....correct?????

1 hour ago, jamon said:

Am I right that ocean cay is not like coco cay that rccl has??????Ar coco cay, you can use your drink package from the ship and the food comes from the ship. It seems that ocean cay is just a stop that has some beaches, but nothing like coco cay....correct?????

I’ve never been yet but I understand it’s not like the “amusement park” of the other cruise line private island.  It’s actually a marine reserve and MSC seems like they did a pretty good job converting from industrial wasteland.  And they’ve said they don’t want to make it into “amusement park” type of deal in the future also. 

food wise there is “island food” buffet mid island at seakers buffet which will definitely be open for lunch if you dock there and also food trucks which may be pax capacity dependent serving burgers, veggie burgers and also possibly one seafood truck near the bridge to yacht club area.   All are complimentary except for surcharge on seafood.  Drink packages will work on the island too

8 hours ago, jamon said:

Never been to Coco Cay but on Ocean Cay your drink package does work.  There is a buffet and also food trucks set up around the island.  If you are in the YC then there they have their own restaurant.

MSC wants to to promote the island as a center for education and research and plans to open a Conservation Center that will include a Coral Nursery.

As far as watersports there is snorkeling, paddle boarding and kayaking.  No big water trampolines. 

It is an interesting and beautiful island.

8 hours ago, jamon said:

Am I right that ocean cay is not like coco cay that rccl has??????

Not like Coco Cay at all!!!

As FrostyJoe and others have mentioned, it is not an amusement park.

IMHO the whole RCCL operation, ships and private destinations, including Labade, have become "Amusement Parks of the Seas"

For any old time New Yorker's,  Coco Cay reminds me of "Palisades Park".

Think of Ocean Cay as a beautiful, relaxing spot, with many different style beaches, decent free food, free booze, (with beverage package), with still a lot to see and do. Just not in your face.

Many here think it is by far the best private island of any of the mainstream cruise lines.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree with Fla Mike! Absolutely beautiful and tranquil. Great for people to have choices. Mine is NOT floating amusement parks 🙂

But yes, confirming drink packages work and plenty of dining options. (They do bring everything off the ship.)

11 hours ago, jamon said:

All food and Bev comes from ship

This island is designed like a reserve not an amusement park.

There is a jet ski excursion 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 8:20 AM, FrostyJoe said:

Thank you everyone!!!  

Yes, for safety there is an all aboard on the overnight.