Pre Cruise Covid Test

ShipShapely

We are due to sail March 6th...out of Miami...just curious about what others are doing. We live in Philly. For all the experienced (recent) on here what do you suggest is best way to satisfy negative PCR or antigen test?  We need to get test done two days before cruise as we are flying down to Florida the very next day (day before cruise).  We read the suggestions on the Oceania email but would appreciate your input. 

32 minutes ago, ShipShapely said:

We are due to sail March 6th...out of Miami...just curious about what others are doing. We live in Philly. For all the experienced (recent) on here what do you suggest is best way to satisfy negative PCR or antigen test?  We need to get test done two days before cruise as we are flying down to Florida the very next day (day before cruise).  We read the suggestions on the Oceania email but would appreciate your input. 

Test before you fly (as long as you’re within the 2 days pre-embark from US) for the obvious reasons. Antigen is faster/cheaper. Check to see if there is an On-Point test center at/near your airport. $69 pp for no waiting rapid Antigen with email results within 30 minutes.

CVS et al. may be free but results email times are NOT guaranteed. 

• Like 2

Test before you fly!  If you live anywhere near Malvern just Google "Malvern Covid test" as there is a medical lab (with a drive-up tent) that can handle either PCR or Antigen tests with fast turn around times.   I am sure there are other places near Philly but we used the place near Malvern and had PCR test results in about 12 hours.  Antigen is much faster.

Hank

• Like 1

Since Oceania is willing to accept Antigen test, do that.  Results are faster, and there's less chance of a false positive.  CVS turns these tests around within 30 minutes [but you need to make an appointment – go online at midnight 14 days before the day you want to be tested].

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Since Oceania is willing to accept Antigen test, do that.  Results are faster, and there's less chance of a false positive.  CVS turns these tests around within 30 minutes [but you need to make an appointment – go online at midnight 14 days before the day you want to be tested].

Not all CVS sites offer rapid tests. For example, in the greater SF Bay Area, there are less than a handful of rapid results CVS sites and even those do not guarantee delivery in the stated time span..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not all CVS sites offer rapid tests. For example, in the greater SF Bay Area, there are less than a handful of rapid results CVS sites and even those do not guarantee delivery in the stated time span..

But @ShipShapely lives in Pennsylvania, so Bay Area problems are not their problems...

• Like 2

Thank you all. DH decided to go with the company called Inspire recommended by Oceania in the email they had sent. It is an at home antigen test. They will mail out the tests to us and then they observe you (probably via zoom or similar), get the results in ten or fifteen minutes snd communicate them directly to Oceania. Serms the least hassle and I think was forty dollars.  You schedule an appointment time on their website. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ShipShapely said:

Thank you all. DH decided to go with the company called Inspire recommended by Oceania in the email they had sent. It is an at home antigen test. They will mail out the tests to us and then they observe you (probably via zoom or similar), get the results in ten or fifteen minutes snd communicate them directly to Oceania. Serms the least hassle and I think was forty dollars.  You schedule an appointment time on their website. 

We’ve considered doing this. But, the pros/cons reported by E-Med’s proctored Binax home tests leaves unanswered questions about material issues, wait times, etc. with telemedicine options. That can be really tough for someone trying to do it in a foreign location with broadband limits. And, at the very least, Binax recommends having backup test kits just in case.

Hopefully, someone(s) who has used O’s recommended service will report their experience here.

3 hours ago, ShipShapely said:

We are on Marina on Feb 23rd.  We fly in on Feb 20th to see family.  I purchased the emed proctored tests.  6 tests with tax/shipping was 205 bucks.  We'll do them when we arrive at the hotel on Sunday night. 

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But, the pros/cons reported by E-Med’s proctored Binax home tests leaves unanswered questions about material issues, wait times, etc. with telemedicine options.

I bought these, can you elaborate on this?  I also ordered some tests from Costco to test before we go to FL.  Those were 6 tests for 40 bucks, free shipping. 

36 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We’ve considered doing this. But, the pros/cons reported by E-Med’s proctored Binax home tests leaves unanswered questions about material issues, wait times, etc. with telemedicine options. That can be really tough for someone trying to do it in a foreign location with broadband limits. And, at the very least, Binax recommends having backup test kits just in case.

Hopefully, someone(s) who has used O’s recommended service will report their experience here.

4 of us used E-Meds proctored test in Trieste hotel beginning of November - no wait time and quick and easy.  I think the post about long wait times were from beginning of Fall and that is no longer true.

17 minutes ago, exlandlubber said:

We received the four tests that came free from the US government. I used one two weeks ago when I had a bad cold and wanted to be safe. (Negative-yay!). Does anyone know if we could use these at the pier before boarding?

They don't qualify.  A test has to be a lab test or, for a home test,  has proctored by a professional.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:36 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Easy to order on website; tests arrived two days after I ordered although I did not pay for expedited delivery; easy to make proctored appointment which I arranged for two days before our flight to Florida. We ended up canceling our cruise but we can reschedule the proctored appointment for use later this year. Very responsive to both email and telephone call.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Easy to order on website; tests arrived two days after I ordered although I did not pay for expedited delivery; easy to make proctored appointment which I arranged for two days before our flight to Florida. We ended up canceling our cruise but we can reschedule the proctored appointment for use later this year. Very responsive to both email and telephone call.

Good news. Thsnks.

Waiting for all tests to disappear. Maybe wishful thinking on my part. Canada just lifted all tests coming into country for fully tested Can citizens. Not sure why other fully tested still need to be tested. 

So hoping US will lift for Can flying to MIA...would make cruising easier. Our cruise is March 18, so maybe by then.....here's hoping...