cabin entertainment system

islandchick

I have read in several places that the tv entertainment system only runs movies, etc on a loop and not on demand. Hard to believe.  Is this still true? We sailed Crystal last cruise and found on our 14 day cruise that we really ran out of anything interesting to watch as many of the on demand movies and shows were not our cup of tea. 

We are on a transatlantic on Regent in a PS so will be spending quite a lot of time in our room relaxing and would like to bring a dvd player. Has anyone else been able to have a dvd player hooked up in their room. Any suggestions would be useful. 

8 hours ago, islandchick said:

I have read in several places that the tv entertainment system only runs movies, etc on a loop and not on demand. Hard to believe.  Is this still true? We sailed Crystal last cruise and found on our 14 day cruise that we really ran out of anything interesting to watch as many of the on demand movies and shows were not our cup of tea. 

We are on a transatlantic on Regent in a PS so will be spending quite a lot of time in our room relaxing and would like to bring a dvd player. Has anyone else been able to have a dvd player hooked up in their room. Any suggestions would be useful. 

There are on demand movies available (select movies). On the regular TV channel (I believe it was Channel 10-14) they run movies in a loop...but outside that...you have plenty of movies on demand. 

Also, there was an option to change source for the TV to DVD... I didn't check this out, but would assume you could attach a dvd player via HDMI cable. 

9 hours ago, Gcto said:

There are on demand movies available (select movies). On the regular TV channel (I believe it was Channel 10-14) they run movies in a loop...but outside that...you have plenty of movies on demand. 

Also, there was an option to change source for the TV to DVD... I didn't check this out, but would assume you could attach a dvd player via HDMI cable. 

Based on that, I wonder if you could attach a laptop or tablet to the HDMI input to watch programs that one downloaded in advance.  Would love to know if this works.

Hi islandchick

You don't mention which ship you are on but our last cruise on Explorer in 2020, we were in a Superior suite. I connected my MacBook to the TV via HDMI and used my external hard drive attached to said MacBook and watched a few TV shows and Movies. The TV was a Samsung and I believe they use Samsung on Splendor. I could change the input of the TV so you might be able to take a DVD player with you and use that. There might also be a bit of a fiddle to get the cables into the inputs on the TV, it wasn't too bad in our suite but I don't know how the TV's are housed in a PS. Having said that the movies are on demand and there is a fair few to keep you amused and I only used my MacBook set up a few times. I was not aware or made aware that doing this caused a problem with the IT dept, the HDMI cable was in site for the entire cruise just hanging from the back of the TV.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy

David

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Qld13 said:

Hi islandchick

You don't mention which ship you are on but our last cruise on Explorer in 2020, we were in a Superior suite. I connected my MacBook to the TV via HDMI and used my external hard drive attached to said MacBook and watched a few TV shows and Movies. The TV was a Samsung and I believe they use Samsung on Splendor. I could change the input of the TV so you might be able to take a DVD player with you and use that. There might also be a bit of a fiddle to get the cables into the inputs on the TV, it wasn't too bad in our suite but I don't know how the TV's are housed in a PS. Having said that the movies are on demand and there is a fair few to keep you amused and I only used my MacBook set up a few times. I was not aware or made aware that doing this caused a problem with the IT dept, the HDMI cable was in site for the entire cruise just hanging from the back of the TV.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy

David

We did the same thing, no problem at all…For us nice amount of movies on demand.

10 hours ago, Qld13 said:

Hi islandchick

Hope this helps.

Enjoy

David

Thanks - good to know. We will be on Splendor later this year. I usually bring my Roku to hotels and it generally works fine, but won't even bother on Regent as the wifi probably won't allow streaming and is too slow anyway based on my previous Regent cruises. But the laptop (or maybe an iPad) could be helpful.

3 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

Geeze. are you guys really going to spend so much time watching TV when paying upwards of $1000 per person per night. To each their own, I suppose.

We are in a Penthouse Suite on a TA.  We plan to spend a lot of time enjoying our room and the Butler service 😀

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 4:16 PM, wcsdkqh said:

Geeze. are you guys really going to spend so much time watching TV when paying upwards of $1000 per person per night. To each their own, I suppose.

REALLY ?????

They are spending more than that but why be critical of folks ----what do you do all day??