Ability to text/communicate with traveling party? Itinerary update for 3/12 Apex?

Tyler414

This will be my first Celebrity cruise, and will be on Apex (SUPER EXCITED)  I've mostly cruised with NCL in the past.  NCL has the ability (for $10 if I recall) to add a "texting" option through their app to other cruisers who also added the option.   I am wondering if Celebrity has a similar option?   

I'm also curious if anyone has heard of any itinerary changes/updates for this cruise.   Nothing has changed on the app or calendar, but the port schedules do not match, I did read on a post somewhere to not trust the port schedules on various websites....  

Thanks for the help!!!    21 days to go!!!!

43 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

This will be my first Celebrity cruise, and will be on Apex (SUPER EXCITED)  I've mostly cruised with NCL in the past.  NCL has the ability (for $10 if I recall) to add a "texting" option through their app to other cruisers who also added the option.   I am wondering if Celebrity has a similar option?   

I'm also curious if anyone has heard of any itinerary changes/updates for this cruise.   Nothing has changed on the app or calendar, but the port schedules do not match, I did read on a post somewhere to not trust the port schedules on various websites....  

Thanks for the help!!!    21 days to go!!!!

Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise?  They are likely to discuss port changes there.

The app does have the ability to message others that you choose to connect to.   Unfortunately it has one downfall.   There is no alert or ping to notify you of a message.   You will only find it if you go and look.  

If you all have internet - either the Stream or Baisc you can send text message over the free internet or imessages.   WhatsApp also works really well.  Just make sure you put your phones in Airplane mode and only enable Wifi  

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The app does have the ability to message others that you choose to connect to.   Unfortunately it has one downfall.   There is no alert or ping to notify you of a message.   You will only find it if you go and look.  

If you all have internet - either the Stream or Baisc you can send text message over the free internet or imessages.   WhatsApp also works really well.  Just make sure you put your phones in Airplane mode and only enable Wifi  

Just FYI we have had issues trying to text with surf internet.  We were able to use FB messenger but couldn't use regular texting (nor could we make wifi calls on surf).  I agree with you about the app - it sure would be nice if it would notify you if you have a message!  But I guess it's better than nothing.  

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Have used the Streaming Package for WiFi calling and texting.  Worked fine.  But, I hear the Surf Package doesn't offer enough bandwidth to do either.

I paid for this cruise before "Everything Included"  I got the 4 perks package (Premium Drink, Tips, OBC, and WIFI)  I think the internet packages are different now so not sure what I will be getting.  There is a $199 charge and credit for each on my invoice.  I'm hoping its the Streaming.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reports of problems with texting using Xcelerate Surf Package - seems they are not meeting their advertised standards. 

Celebrity Site States - 

Xcelerate Surf

This value-priced package is for anyone who simply wants the ability to browse the web, send emails, and text on messenger services. You’ll stay connected through the basic functions of Wi-Fi, but won’t be able to stream videos, send or receive photos, or use technology such as Facebook or FaceTime.

We are currently on the Silhouette and have been making calls and video chats with WhatsApp.  We have the streaming wifi service.  You all just have to have your phone connected to wifi for it to work.  My husband and I call each other all the time.  We even spoke to our friends in Amsterdam.

Will be on the Apex next week. Cannot find the Roll call for Feb 26th 2022 so am reaching out here.

Wifi included is it OK to surf web, download the newspaper and text? Should we buy extra for the week? We don't call or video anything, just browse, text, that's it! Thanks

MD

Edited by Mimi04

40 minutes ago, Mimi04 said:

Will be on the Apex next week. Cannot find the Roll call for Feb 26th 2022 so am reaching out here.

Wifi included is it OK to surf web, download the newspaper and text? Should we buy extra for the week? We don't call or video anything, just browse, text, that's it! Thanks

MD

The included surf package should be ok.   As Jim points out the things you are asking about is what they advertise this package for.  If you are unable to do these basic things I would go to the iLounge and get assistance.  If they tell you to upgrade to stream I would ask them to read the description of the surf package and explain why what you're paying for is not working for you.

4 hours ago, Mimi04 said:

MD

We’ve got an active roll call for the Feb.26 Apex sailing. Try again to find us- we’d love to hear from you. We’re having a sail away get together at the Sunset Bar. ID yourself with some Mardi Gras beads🎉🥂🍹

5 hours ago, Mimi04 said:

MD

What found the wi-fi to be very difficult to use, and this was streaming on ship with about 35-40% occupancy. The problem that we had was you were bounced off the internet the second you stopped accessing information, you had to log on every time. We had the two device pkg, but we were using 4 devices, which was our choice, but also complicated how we used the internet.

Next May, when we are traveling with other people, we may try using the app. We've sent a couple of messages on it and it is quite fast, just have to figure out a way for your party to check it.

• Like 1

Thanks so the Wifi included is iffy....would paying for the PREMIUM package be easier?

What about the 'Drinks included' .....we are certainly not the cocktail style, we like our beer, Gin Tonic and wines (we can live with the 'house' wines). Did you find that it was a ruse? 

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Mimi04 said:

Thanks so the Wifi included is iffy....would paying for the PREMIUM package be easier?

What about the 'Drinks included' .....we are certainly not the cocktail style, we like our beer, Gin Tonic and wines (we can live with the 'house' wines). Did you find that it was a ruse? 

Thanks

Your included drinks will be fine.  If you’re wanting to receive/or makes calls, download/upload any content with pictures or other media, etc get the STREAMING WiFi.

• Like 1