Coco Cay Swim w Pigs

Did the swim with pigs through NCL from their private island, Great Stirrup Cay, which is right next door to Coco Cay. So I would assume it would be the same. Take a very short boat ride to the island with the pigs. Have a safety briefing. Go in water and show the pigs you have some apple for them. They swim in the water to you to eat the apple. The facility staff takes some pictures which I felt were reasonably priced. We just did it in December and we are 52. We had a good time. So I would think a 6 year old would love it

84D4D526-9680-4589-BEC6-C082E41E4995.jpeg

76EA602D-2D6E-4495-A7C4-6A98562781EF.jpeg

37FE93FA-A031-4184-A273-F88D85F51CEC.jpeg

Edited by Weluv2cruise2gether
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

Did the swim with pigs through NCL from their private island, Great Stirrup Cay, which is right next door to Coco Cay. So I would assume it would be the same. Take a very short boat ride to the island with the pigs. Have a safety briefing. Go in water and show the pigs you have some apple for them. They swim in the water to you to eat the apple. The facility staff takes some pictures which I felt were reasonably priced. We just did it in December and we are 52. We had a good time. So I would think a 6 year old would love it

Thank you!

My daughter (10 at the time) loved it.  She had previously read a book about the swimming pigs of Exuma and she wanted to see swimming pigs from that point on.  Some of the pigs are very large and heavy and can be aggressive.  I think it would depend on the 6 year old's fear level of animals.  I personally thought it was kind of gross.....they aren't potty trained of course!  We got some cute pictures and I am glad she got to do it because she really enjoyed it but it was definitely a one and done for me.  I would try to catch it on sale, it was pretty pricy. The baby pigs that you get to interact with at the end are adorable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

The pigs look healthy,  did they seem like they were cared for? I usually don't participate in animal based activities (swim with dolphins, hold a sloth) unless it's at a legitimate rescue with the goal of rehabilitation/release, but these pigs are calling to me ❤ Just want to make sure I'm not funding cruelty/extreme captivity. 

• Like 1

It's not a natural thing for the animals to do -- they don't swim for their own personal enjoyment, they are swimming to get nutrition / performing on command, like the swim with dolphins excursions.

The only animal exploitation thing that I don't have a problem with is the sloth-holding (which I've only done at Daniel Johnson's, where all animals were rescued, not purchased for the purpose of exploitation).  The sloths there don't have to "perform" or "do" anything -- they just sit there in your arms,. the same way they sit there in the trees ten feet away.  

On 2/26/2022 at 1:14 PM, sjmbruce said:

The pigs look healthy,  did they seem like they were cared for? I usually don't participate in animal based activities (swim with dolphins, hold a sloth) unless it's at a legitimate rescue with the goal of rehabilitation/release, but these pigs are calling to me ❤ Just want to make sure I'm not funding cruelty/extreme captivity. 

The pigs seemed very well cared for. They do a safety briefing prior to you entering the water with them so you learn the do’s and don’t s for the safety of the pigs and of course you. The pigs all seemed happy and none that we interacted with appeared to be aggressive. 

On 2/26/2022 at 2:12 PM, brillohead said:

It's not a natural thing for the animals to do -- they don't swim for their own personal enjoyment, they are swimming to get nutrition / performing on command, like the swim with dolphins excursions.

I agree.  People should really research this activity before doing it.  It's most definitely not natural for the pigs, as you said.  They only do it because they want to be fed.  It's really quite cruel.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I would not participate.  The pigs are there only to separate you from your money.  There are now multiple pig islands all over the Caribbean.  The population is artificially maintained.  Gilts with their first litter are shipped to the island.  Older pigs (3+ years) are slaughtered at first sign of aggressiveness.  Piglets are slaughtered to maintain the optimal tourist attraction mix.  Plus what other's have said about sunburn, shade, food supply.  

That's just my own reasons for not participating. 

It's your money, and your vacation.  Whether you prefer cute pigs or tasty pigs do what you want.

• Like 1