"Results within 1-2 days"

None of the CVS or Walgreens locally have rapid antigen tests available. Cruise is next thursday, so it's probably too late to order the proctored one, which I was trying to avoid since I'm taking five children and three of their friend(10 total), so it's pretty expensive.

My obvious fear is we won't get results from CVS in the 1-2 days on the PCR test.  Has anyone heard that it can sometimes take longer than two days?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mr. Blonde said:

None of the CVS or Walgreens locally have rapid antigen tests available. Cruise is next thursday, so it's probably too late to order the proctored one, which I was trying to avoid since I'm taking five children and three of their friend(10 total), so it's pretty expensive.

My obvious fear is we won't get results from CVS in the 1-2 days on the PCR test.  Has anyone heard that it can sometimes take longer than two days?

At Walgreens, the Red Dot test ID Now is says takes 1 day, but has never taken more than a couple of hours.

Edited by Native Floridian 26

1 hour ago, Mr. Blonde said:

There are several Walgreens in the Tampa area that offer ID now which is Naat test which is acceptable with Royal.  Quicker than standard PCR.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing

• Like 1

We also got results within an hour from Walgreens IDNow test.  Though the website says turnaround from receipt in lab, the test was done on site at our local store.  They allow themselves plenty of time to run the test on the website (24 hours), presumably in case if staffing or technical issues, etc, but results generally seem to come back quickly.  The IDNow test is more sensitive than the antigen test,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Blonde said:

Have you checked a local Urgent Care?  In our area we can make an appointment for the rapid test and wait for the results, which usually takes about 30 minutes.

• Thanks 1

We had PCR tests taken for our two unvacced kids in late December at both CVS and Walgreens.  We went to both three days out just in case their was a delay or invalid results at one of the pharmacies.  Well, it took four days to get the results back from both pharmacies.  Long story short, we missed the cruise.  Granted that was late December at the height of Omicrom, but I will not take that chance again.  We are looking for a guaranteed 24hour PCR test for our kids for our cruise next month, 

1 hour ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

At Walgreens, the Red Dot test ID Now is says takes 1 day, but has never taken more than a couple of hours.

See, I didn't think we could choose that one because it doesn't say "PCR" or "Antigen" which is what RC says they require.

image.png.35912b689c8d70cf6479590901c479a0.png

11 minutes ago, Mr. Blonde said:

See, I didn't think we could choose that one because it doesn't say "PCR" or "Antigen" which is what RC says they require.

image.png.35912b689c8d70cf6479590901c479a0.png

IDNow is a rapid NAAT test, which is a type of molecule test.  Royal Caribbean does allow them.  In fact, Accor to Royal Caribbean’s FAQ’s, they lump all molecular tests (NAAT and PCR) together and collectively call them “PCR”…yes, doing that confuses the issues, yet that is what their website says they do.

In any case, rest assure it us a good test and that may of us have used it to board Royal Caribbean ships for months now.  That includes lots of Floridians, as the rapid antigen test is not widely offered by Walgreens here.

Edit: here’s the link to the FAQ about test types

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, seabreeze0389 said:

I ordered our Binax from e-med and received the tests the next day.  The expedited shipping was about $17. 

I ordered on Friday and there supposed to come today Tuesday...we'll see.

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

IDNow is a rapid NAAT test, which is a type of molecule test.  Royal Caribbean does allow them.  In fact, Accor to Royal Caribbean’s FAQ’s, they lump all molecular tests (NAAT and PCR) together and collectively call them “PCR”…yes, doing that confuses the issues, yet that is what their website says they do.

In any case, rest assure it us a good test and that may of us have used it to board Royal Caribbean ships for months now.  That includes lots of Floridians, as the rapid antigen test is not widely offered by Walgreens here.

Edit: here’s the link to the FAQ about test types

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

So for an under age 5 they can take the IDNow instead of the PCR...it is confusing. Now how do we find the IDNow test in our area....Walgreens isn't doing them. How quick are those test results available?

39 minutes ago, Ashland said:

So for an under age 5 they can take the IDNow instead of the PCR...it is confusing. Now how do we find the IDNow test in our area....Walgreens isn't doing them. How quick are those test results available?

This is on RCCL's web site:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

Note the 2nd bullet point about kids ages 2-11 years.

Edited by SilkySal
add

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I am wondering this as well.  I’ve heard others mention that the NAAT test is accepted and it does read like it’s accepted, but I’d love to hear from someone who has actually been able to board using the NAAT test for unvaccinated kids.  My fear is getting an NAAT test for my kids, then finding out at the port that it’s actually not accepted.

1 hour ago, Grankm21 said:

I am wondering this as well.  I’ve heard others mention that the NAAT test is accepted and it does read like it’s accepted, but I’d love to hear from someone who has actually been able to board using the NAAT test for unvaccinated kids.  My fear is getting an NAAT test for my kids, then finding out at the port that it’s actually not accepted.

So many hoops to jump through for those under age 5er's.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

1 hour ago, Grankm21 said:

I do not have unvaccinated people in my traveling party, so I cannot speak with personal authority about NAAT for precruise testing of the unvaccinated.  The way I read the info on Royal Caribbean’s FAQ’s, I would think it would satisfy the requirement…thoughI admit I’d do more research if I had an unvaccinated person (call me paranoid if you wish).  I’d call customer service (maybe more than once to check consistency) and ask specifically if a “rapid NAAT test, such as IDNow” would indeed satisfy the “PCR” requirement.  I’d try to get them to put it in an email, though I doubt I’d get them to do it. If I was told consistently  “yes, it would”, I’d print that FAQ page about test types and take it along.  I might start a new thread with a title such as “Has your unvaccinated child boarded (or tried) with IDNow as their Precruise test?” To get feedback from others here on CC who might have personal experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mr. Blonde said:

We got tested at CVS before (and sfter) our cruise last month.  PCR results took 3 days then.  

But we are scheduled at CVS again next Tuesday for our 3/10 cruise.  This time says results in 1-2 days.  

Check the BayFront Health System for testing. You will have to pay for the tests.

They were doing testing when I checked for our 2/14 cruise out of Tampa.

Luckily, I booked an appointment with CVS when the appointments opened thirteen days before I needed our tests.

I am in the same situation with an under 5 kiddo. We sail on a Friday so, ideally, I’d need to have him tested after school on Tuesday.  We fly out to Ft. Lauderdale 7am Wednesday morning so my time frame is pretty limited. I’m unsure what my best option is for getting him a PCR test before we go and the more I look into it, the more lost I feel. 

• Like 1

Anxiously following this thread as we are scheduled to travel with unvaxxed 2 yr old.  Does any PCR test work?  Does it have to be RT-PCR?  we are sailing out of Florida.  Would love to hear from someone who has boarded with unvaxxed under 5---what test did you use?  thanks!

I can’t speak to other ports, but there was a rapid testing location (for a fee) near Port Canaveral.  Unfortunately we did not discover this until the day before our cruise and at that point they had no same day appointments left, and boarding day tests are not allowed for unvaxxed kids.  

Here is my plan for our cruise next month: CVS/Walgreens PCR test as early as possible three days out.  We will also have a rapid PCR test appointment scheduled for as early as possible the day before the cruise (either near the port or near home) as a back up in case the CVS/Walgreens results don’t come back in time.  If they come back quickly, we will cancel the PCR test.  Based on lower covid cases, I have a feeling the CVS/Walgreens tests will come back more quickly now than they did for us in late December, but I learned my lesson and will not take that chance again even if it means I have to pay for the rapid PCR test.

13 minutes ago, Grankm21 said:

I can’t speak to other ports, but there was a rapid testing location (for a fee) near Port Canaveral.  Unfortunately we did not discover this until the day before our cruise and at that point they had no same day appointments left, and boarding day tests are not allowed for unvaxxed kids.  

Here is my plan for our cruise next month: CVS/Walgreens PCR test as early as possible three days out.  We will also have a rapid PCR test appointment scheduled for as early as possible the day before the cruise (either near the port or near home) as a back up in case the CVS/Walgreens results don’t come back in time.  If they come back quickly, we will cancel the PCR test.  Based on lower covid cases, I have a feeling the CVS/Walgreens tests will come back more quickly now than they did for us in late December, but I learned my lesson and will not take that chance again even if it means I have to pay for the rapid PCR test.

Where is the testing center in Port Canaveral? We need to do this for our end of April cruise and am having a bit of trouble with our pre-cruise days .... timing and logistics.

There are 6 of us traveling...4 adults and one child all vaxed and one under age 5 that will need the PCR test 3 days out....that we'll need to do near our home. But the rest of us need the Antigen test no earlier than Friday for our Sunday cruise and will be flying most all of Friday from the west coast....so need to test on Saturday.

This is all so hard to manage.