FCO Airport Hotels

RCCL Fan

We're flying into Rome from Paris the night before our cruise.  Looking for an upscale  airport hotel to quickly get a goodnight's sleep in before heading to the ship the next morning.

I've seen bad reviews for the Hilton, Marriott, and Sheraton by the airport.  All sound dreadful if you listen to the reviews.   

Anyone care to weigh in on the better of the 3 or have another suggestion?

(We're going to spend time in Rome post cruise,   this is just a clean comfortable nights sleep before the ship the next morning!)

Where are you seeing these bad reviews? Curious.  

I've always been happy with the Hilton FCO.  Always treated well as a Hilton Gold, upgraded all the time.   It's a fine business-class hotel.   Some higher-up Hilton people will carp about a lack of good upgrade, the lounge during rush hour...  I deal with those types all the time when I was a Front Desk Supervisor and MOD - they just can't be pleased.

• Like 2

We’ve stayed at the Hilton FCO several times and have enjoyed excellent service, upgrades and a wonderful breakfast.   The rooms are not as modern as one might expect, but they were very comfortable and quiet.   

They also did have a complementary shuttle into Rome that made it very easy to slip in for the day.   Not sure since.Covid of the availability. For convenience and comfort it really can’t be best. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Where are you seeing these bad reviews? Curious.  

I've always been happy with the Hilton FCO.  Always treated well as a Hilton Gold, upgraded all the time.   It's a fine business-class hotel.   Some higher-up Hilton people will carp about a lack of good upgrade, the lounge during rush hour...  I deal with those types all the time when I was a Front Desk Supervisor and MOD - they just can't be pleased.

Yes I agree.  We stayed in 2018 after disembarking from a cruise.  Took their shuttle into the City of Rome for our last day in Europe.  Walked to the airport the next morning.  I would stay there again

• Like 1

Another vote for the Hilton at FCO. Very convenient for the airport, arrival or departure. Always had good service and no issues. I have stayed there for business and leisure. We are booked in for the night after our next 2 cruises so we are right at the airport for our morning flight. No hassles.

• Like 2

No problem with the FCO Hilton and, if you are mobile you can put your luggage on a cart, walk through the parking garage and continue on the overhead walkway that ends right outside the hotel's entrance.  I believe the hotel also has a free shuttle but we have found walking a better option then waiting around for a shuttle van.   The hotel is a typical high-end Hilton which means you are going to pay Hilton prices for food/drink.  Prior to COVID they used to have an excellent buffet option in the Dining Room...

Hank

I'm elite with Marriott and Hyatt  so I was looking at the Marriott & Sheraton that are right down the road from the airport....  sounds like I may need to step into the competition this trip, unless anyone has feedback on the Marriott and sheraton.

On the Marriott side hotels - they really are not close to the airport.  I did a quick browse and the closest one is 7miles away and doesn't offer shuttle to airport (the marriott park). The parco d' medici property has a bad rep for years on flyer talk and it's 8 miles away.  The others listed are actually in Rome.  A little misleading.  If you didn't like the reviews on TA for FCO Hilton look at the HGI.  

20 hours ago, slidergirl said:

On the Marriott side hotels - they really are not close to the airport.  I did a quick browse and the closest one is 7miles away and doesn't offer shuttle to airport (the marriott park). The parco d' medici property has a bad rep for years on flyer talk and it's 8 miles away.  The others listed are actually in Rome.  A little misleading.  If you didn't like the reviews on TA for FCO Hilton look at the HGI.  

Yes I was looking at both of those. 

7 miles isn't far  and I don't mind paying for an uber.     We're talking 10 - 15 minutes in the car, that's no problem.

We're going to land about 7pm,   want to grab our bags,  check in, get dinner and relax before bed.   Driver pick us up the next morning and take us to the ship.    Having the lounge that comes with my elite membership is great, but not if the place sucks.  

So the 7 mile trip didn't bother me at all.   Concerns about service did....  

1 hour ago, RCCL Fan said:

7 miles isn't far  and I don't mind paying for an uber.     We're talking 10 - 15 minutes in the car, that's no problem.

Uber as you know it doesn't exist in Italy, there is only a service called Uber Black which is a traditional car service with commensurate pricing.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

Uber as you know it doesn't exist in Italy, there is only a service called Uber Black which is a traditional car service with commensurate pricing.

ah  very good to know!   taxis??

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 8:21 PM, RCCL Fan said:

thx!  now i just have to choose hilton or marriott! lol

Where did you book< marriott Sheraton at Parco De medici?

We have it tentatively booked, for Mid May cruise, one nt. 

For one night cant be that bad, reviews were mixed. 

On 3/8/2022 at 12:43 PM, Hlitner said:

No problem with the FCO Hilton and, if you are mobile you can put your luggage on a cart, walk through the parking garage and continue on the overhead walkway that ends right outside the hotel's entrance.  I believe the hotel also has a free shuttle but we have found walking a better option then waiting around for a shuttle van.   The hotel is a typical high-end Hilton which means you are going to pay Hilton prices for food/drink.  Prior to COVID they used to have an excellent buffet option in the Dining Room...

Hank

Hank,  you are a great source of good info.  We are staying at the Hilton FCO for a night after our cruise ends beginning of May. We have early flight the next morning. Hope to get there early, store my luggage and then take off for Rome.  I do not know if the Hilton has resumed their shuttle to Rome so I am considering walking to FCO and taking a train.  I thought I read there is an express to Termini. 

Yes, there is an express train from the airport to Termini (Leonardo Express, takes about a half hour, 14 euro per person each way).  There is also a local train (also about a half hour, 8 euro per person each way) but it doesn't stop at Termini, which train makes sense for you depends on where you are headed in Rome.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, Welly9 said:

Where did you book< marriott Sheraton at Parco De medici?

We have it tentatively booked, for Mid May cruise, one nt. 

For one night cant be that bad, reviews were mixed. 

I haven't booked either.  I'm leaning toward the Hilton, just for ease, even though we have no elite status with them.   it's just one night.

40 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

I haven't booked either.  I'm leaning toward the Hilton, just for ease, even though we have no elite status with them.   it's just one night.

It will be easier,  no transport needed.  Perhaps  check if Hilton will do a status match.  Their breakfast is really Nice.

I have stayed at both the Hilton FCO and the Marriott Park, nearby.  Currently, the shuttles for the Marriott Park are not running.  They were suspended at the beginning of Covid, and have yet to return.  A taxi from the airport to the Marriott Park was 35 euros, a fixed rate, in 2018.  Back then, the Marriott shuttle van to and from the airport was 5 euros per person each way.  The shuttle bus to the center of Rome was 10 euros per person.  In terms of the Marriott property itself, it was a popular convention hotel with a resort-like swimming pool, pizzeria/gelateria, in addition to the full-service restaurant and bar in the main building.  During the pandemic, the hotel closed for renovations.  It has recently re-opened.  I have a reservations at both the Marriott and the Hilton for a short post-cruise stay.  I am waiting to see if the Marriott pool opens this summer, and if the shuttles return.  If they do, I will stay at the Marriott, and combine morning sightseeing with afternoons by the pool.  However, without the shuttles, I will go to the Hilton, because it will then be more convenient.  I’m waiting to see which reservation gets canceled.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I’m in same dilemma as OP.  Trip Advisor’s recent reviews for both Hiltons at FCO are less than favorable.  DH and I arriving day prior to embarkation, just want to shake the jet lag prior to our early October cruise.

Curious to hear from folks who’ve recently stayed at either Hilton Airport Hotel.

Thanks!!

There are several reviews above in this thread.

I am not a big fan of staying at the airport, but on a couple of occasions have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn -- this is not the Hilton FCO that is attached to the airport. It's on the property though, and there is a dedicated shuttle to/from all terminals of the airport. It is serviceable, pretty much just a place to crash. 

We just got back from our cruise last week and stayed at the Airport Hilton when we flew in. It's a very nice hotel and breakfast is delicious. 

We used Shared Shuttle to get from the hotel to port and they were wonderful. It was very reasonable and we wound up using them a couple more times throughout our trip. (Eating train and bus tickets we'd already purchased because they made getting around so much easier.)

You can find them here: https://sharedshuttle.it/