Packing limits? Can I bring with me gear such as SCUBA, bicycle, rock climbing, kayak?

pdmlynek

37 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

Scuba gear -no because it could be potentially filled with dangerous gases

actually I've taken SCUBA gear on many cruises with no problems. Like 'most' traveling divers we did not try to carry our weights or tanks ..... too heavy. But mask/fins/snorkel, safety vest (BC), regulators/computers and wet suits ..... yep a roo,

Problem quickly becomes storage space on most cruises ....

Friends of ours who frequently cruise with us are avid divers and always take their scuba gear, minus tanks, with them on our cruises.  This adds a lot to fly to the ports with and always are paying for the extra weight, and also end up with gear loaded into the stateroom.  But they manage and have a routine that works for them as they typically dive twice - or more on longer itineraries -  on each cruise,

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Well while I completely understand your sentiments, there is one ship Captain in particular on RCCL that (at least in the past) has his motorcycle on board with him.  Have actually been on board with him and his bike.  I understand that his is a rather unique and specific circumstance, but it does certainly press the limits of what can be brought on board........😉

Here's a couple of older links including a previous CC thread describing this:

https://www.beyondships2.com/allure-of-the-seas-captain-interview.html

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/1330797-captain-johnnys-motorbike/

We did a cruise to Bermuda once that had a motorcycle club on it.  Once everyone had debarked at Bermuda, they carefully drove the motorcycles off the ship.  They had arranged to meet w a Bermuda motorcycle group.  I am sure that all arrangements were cleared in advance but the people in the group said that they were having a great time.

DON

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

We did a cruise to Bermuda once that had a motorcycle club on it.  Once everyone had debarked at Bermuda, they carefully drove the motorcycles off the ship.  They had arranged to meet w a Bermuda motorcycle group.  I am sure that all arrangements were cleared in advance but the people in the group said that they were having a great time.

DON

Pretty sure Captain Johnny was involved with similar group cruises as well back in the day with Allure itineraries.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, Laurie S. said:

I take all of my scuba equipment on a cruise, just need to take my dive bag.  I'm also an underwater photograph with a large rig and several lenses.  It all goes with me with no problem.

I'm sure your camera rig isn't as big as a kayak. 

Some years ago (can"t actually remember the year) we were on a Caribbean cruise, there were many that brought bikes aboard and used them at each stop. It might have been a club? Point is, they were allowed, and no, they did not fold up. Check with your cruise line to get up to date info.

On 3/4/2022 at 12:15 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Friends of ours who frequently cruise with us are avid divers and always take their scuba gear, minus tanks, with them on our cruises.  This adds a lot to fly to the ports with and always are paying for the extra weight, and also end up with gear loaded into the stateroom.  But they manage and have a routine that works for them as they typically dive twice - or more on longer itineraries -  on each cruise,

@leaveitallbehind By your moniker, I doubt you lug all this extra gear along! 😀

On 3/4/2022 at 10:33 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Pretty sure Captain Johnny was involved with similar group cruises as well back in the day with Allure itineraries.

Ha!  I was thinking that same thing.  I'll never forget seeing him drive his motorcycle through Central Park on Allure.  😄

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Ha!  I was thinking that same thing.  I'll never forget seeing him drive his motorcycle through Central Park on Allure.  😄

Captains can do things that passengers are not allowed to do. There is a Captain on Celebrity who travels with her cat. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Captains can do things that passengers are not allowed to do. There is a Captain on Celebrity who travels with her cat. 

That would be Captain Kate McCue - currently the Captain of Celebrity Beyond, their newest Edge class ship.

I’ve seen organized tours on Royal Caribbean where motorcycles owned by the individuals in the tour group were brought on board and unloaded on the pier for the group to use while in port, I believe that this was in Bermuda and the Captain of the cruise ship may have been “Captain Harley” but this was a special arrangement. Pretty cool to watch.