Oh dear, Iona disappointment, Again!

Welsh pride

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I did do it with a laughing face too though 😀. MSC - especially their new large ships are not my cup of tea but I know many folks have great cruises with them.

I don't think I'd want to go on anything larger than Divina unless the itinerary was amazing but I'll never say never. At the time I sailed everyone told me I'd starve and the ship would be like a ferry with people getting on and off at every port.  I think the old jokes and reputation went once Fantasia and Divina arrived.

I read reviews but take most with  a pinch of salt. Having cruised for 30 years on eleven different lines, I am happy to try most at the right price. I don't have sky high expectations, so am generally happy when I leave the ship. They are all better than the ships I sailed on in the RN  😄

I have a budget, so happy to have two or three cruises for the price of a 6* cruise. We are all different in our expectations and likes and dislikes, so there is plenty of choice for all.

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The problem with comparing prices is that it is almost impossible to compare like for like, especially as fares fluctuate so much depending on when you book them. 

Yes, the Saga pricec is silly money, but we paid only a little more for a 16 day cruise with them by booking at launch. Saga and P&O tend to be cheaper at launch, whereas Princess seem to be the reverse. I don't know about Celebrity. 

In the end, we all book at a price we are comfortable with, on a cruise line of our choice.  

That is very true and is the reason I looked at four cruise lines with departures in the same week before booking the Edge.  They were all on sale and priced at that date of 24 February so I think it was a pretty fair comparison on that date.

I'll let you know if the Edge is as good as they say  we're really looking forward to it with great things expected after reading other peoples people's experiences on here.

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The problem with comparing prices is that it is almost impossible to compare like for like, especially as fares fluctuate so much depending on when you book them. 

Yes, the Saga pricec is silly money, but we paid only a little more for a 16 day cruise with them by booking at launch. Saga and P&O tend to be cheaper at launch, whereas Princess seem to be the reverse. I don't know about Celebrity. 

In the end, we all book at a price we are comfortable with, on a cruise line of our choice.  

Absolutely. Also, you have to accept that there is a premium to pay for cruising on smaller ships. The Saga ships carry almost half of what Aurora, P&O's smallest ship carries.

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I suppose I'm so used to paying over £3,000 for a week or 10 days as a solo traveller my expectations are to pay high prices.  I budget a certain amount per trip and if someone joins me I'm still within what I was looking to pay.

My (now in doubt apparently!) Aurora cruise on 1 April was going to be £1,549 for me in an oceanview. When my aunt asked to come along it went down to a cost of £999 for me and I acquired £110OBC.

All in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

My Iona 7 nights in May is costing me £1810 for a select balcony. Still expensive though. Before the pandemic I used £150 per night as a base price

I must check out MSC

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, davecttr said:

My Iona 7 nights in May is costing me £1810 for a select balcony. Still expensive though. Before the pandemic I used £150 per night as a base price

I must check out MSC

Yes, single cruise fares unless they are on one of the replacement cruises (such as my Aurora one) seem to be averaging around £200 to £225 per night on P&O.  Other cruise lines even more.  Before the pandemic I used QM2 as a replacement way home from the US as I could often get a crossing for around £1,000 to £1,500 on a late fare. Can't get anywhere near even the latter figure in the depth of winter now and a lot of crossings are already sold out going into 2023.  

There were some deals with Celebrity earlier this year with no single supplements but they seem to last only a week or so at a time.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

Absolutely. Also, you have to accept that there is a premium to pay for cruising on smaller ships. The Saga ships carry almost half of what Aurora, P&O's smallest ship carries.

Large ships provide a good holiday as well. In a rough sea, in my mind big is better than small. We crossed BoB on indy during a force 10. I know that's a generalisation, but why this small ship is better mantra?.We are on Anthem in September and Iona in October. The dodgems look like fun on Anthem.

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Large ships provide a good holiday as well. In a rough sea, in my mind big is better than small. 

Not always, I remember many moons ago a marine engineer explained why some ships were better in rough seas regardless of size, albeit I don't remember all the details I am sure it is all googleable. Things like draft, bow shape, style of stabilisers, height of ship and wind resistance, wave height and pitch and swell all affected movement. We have crossed the Atlantic 4 times on Marco Polo, 3 of those voyages were in fairly rough seas and the journeys were smoother than some of our crossings on Ventura and Oceana. I believe Iona has had issues getting into ports where other smaller ships have been OK. Apart from that large ships have provided us with some great cruises as have small ships.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Not always, I remember many moons ago a marine engineer explained why some ships were better in rough seas regardless of size, albeit I don't remember all the details I am sure it is all googleable. Things like draft, bow shape, style of stabilisers, height of ship and wind resistance, wave height and pitch and swell all affected movement. We have crossed the Atlantic 4 times on Marco Polo, 3 of those voyages were in fairly rough seas and the journeys were smoother than some of our crossings on Ventura and Oceana. I believe Iona has had issues getting into ports where other smaller ships have been OK. Apart from that large ships have provided us with some great cruises as have small ships.

That's why I said ' I know it's a generalisation '. During my diving days  I did a navigation course which covered ship design. You will recall a few years ago that Marco Polo got in a storm in the channel, which resulted in a passenger dying. But Marco Polo is a good example of good ship design, after all she was designed with rough seas and Ice in mind. During out IoS Biscay storm crossing we were on a parallel coarse with a small P&O ship. I wonder if those passenger had as much pity watching us as we had watching them . As you say size isn't everything, but it can be an advantage. Horses for courses.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Large ships provide a good holiday as well. In a rough sea, in my mind big is better than small. We crossed BoB on indy during a force 10. I know that's a generalisation, but why this small ship is better mantra?.We are on Anthem in September and Iona in October. The dodgems look like fun on Anthem.

The "small ship is better mantra" isn't, in my opinion just a generalisation. In my experience, a small ship is better for me. I like a traditional cruise so I prefer Club Dining, on a set sitting so that I can enjoy getting to know my table mates. I don't need multiple different restaurants and am happy with mdr, buffet and maybe one additional extra restaurant venue. I like bumping into the same people frequently around the ship and ashore. The largest ship I have been on is Azura. I often find myself using several different venues each evening and just felt that I hardly ever stopped walking around the ship. I enjoy walking but not around the inside of a ship, avoiding lots of others often walking in the opposite direction. I personally feel the atmosphere on a large ship like that is quite different to what I experience on a small ship.

Having said all of that, I don't denigrate the large ships, they are just not for me. As you have recently said in one of your posts, Horses for Courses...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

The "small ship is better mantra" isn't, in my opinion just a generalisation. In my experience, a small ship is better for me. I like a traditional cruise so I prefer Club Dining, on a set sitting so that I can enjoy getting to know my table mates. I don't need multiple different restaurants and am happy with mdr, buffet and maybe one additional extra restaurant venue. I like bumping into the same people frequently around the ship and ashore. The largest ship I have been on is Azura. I often find myself using several different venues each evening and just felt that I hardly ever stopped walking around the ship. I enjoy walking but not around the inside of a ship, avoiding lots of others often walking in the opposite direction. I personally feel the atmosphere on a large ship like that is quite different to what I experience on a small ship.

Having said all of that, I don't denigrate the large ships, they are just not for me. As you have recently said in one of your posts, Horses for Courses...

You have tried a larger ship and found that it wasn't for you. That is an opinion I can and do respect. What confuses me a bit is when folk say ' I don't like big ships, horrible monsters, not for me ' and have not been on one. They then go on to sing the praises of a cruise company they have never used. I don't find that a particularly impressive point of view. In a few years Azura will be a small ship. Our first cruise was on Island Escape. At 48k tonnes hardly a megaship. Enjoyed that one 🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Britboys said:

The walking around is annoying but is due to P&O shifting entertainment around rather than allowing you to remain in one place for the evening.  Venues do not maintain entertainment through longer periods and service winds down for drinks once an act has finished then picks up again when the next performance is due.  It is not something I have experienced on other lines.

Edited by Megabear2

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

This appears to be backed up by the numerous comments from passengers disembarking Iona and admit having a great time, quickly followed by 'too big for us'... 

Definitely horses for courses. 

Andy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

The walking around is annoying but is due to P&O shifting entertainment around rather than allowing you to remain in one place for the evening.  Venues do not maintain entertainment through longer periods and service winds down for drinks once an act has finished then picks up again when the next performance is due.  It is not something I have experienced on other lines.

I'm not sure that was my experience 🤔. A typical night for me was pre-dinner drink in the Blue Bar midships, dinner in the Oriental aft, show in the theatre forward, cabaret in Manhattan aft, then up to deck 19 for the Planet Bar and all the way back down to the cabin.

49 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

This appears to be backed up by the numerous comments from passengers disembarking Iona and admit having a great time, quickly followed by 'too big for us'... 

Definitely horses for courses. 

Andy 

I must admit that it amazes me when P&O regulars try a new ship and then say "it's too big!". There's enough information out there to give a few clues, especially the number of pax it carries and the number of venues on board. Do people really expect that a ship carrying 5200+ pax isn't that much bigger than one carrying 1900...🤔🙄

I know Iona is too big for my taste, so I'm not going on her. Simples...😀

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I'm not sure that was my experience 🤔. A typical night for me was pre-dinner drink in the Blue Bar midships, dinner in the Oriental aft, show in the theatre forward, cabaret in Manhattan aft, then up to deck 19 for the Planet Bar and all the way back down to the cabin.

Sounds like it was good for your 10,000 steps !  We've hardly ever got into Manhattan for the cabaret, usually too late for a seat after the 8.30 dinner.  My experience has been crowds going from there after a performance ends - they're usually heading to Brodies - and by the time we get to Manhattan there's one song left and after that the lights are switched on and the bar staff disappear!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I must admit that it amazes me when P&O regulars try a new ship and then say "it's too big!". There's enough information out there to give a few clues, especially the number of pax it carries and the number of venues on board. Do people really expect that a ship carrying 5200+ pax isn't that much bigger than one carrying 1900...🤔🙄

Just before lockdown we had a cruise on a 24k tonne ship with 2000 passengers. Portsmouth to St Malo. We won the quiz and got loads of merch. The windows in the cabin were a bit grubby, but will sail on her again. We came back via Caen. The day cabin was only £20. Small ships can be ok.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I think there is a curiosity theme, just a bit of reassurance that it is not right for them, whilst also preparing for the inevitability when the smaller ships have gone from P&O altogether... 

Andy 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think there is a curiosity theme, just a bit of reassurance that it is not right for them, whilst also preparing for the inevitability when the smaller ships have gone from P&O altogether... 

Andy 

They need to be brave and try other lines - like I do. I've accepted my future cruising with P&O is limited.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Britboys said:

They need to be brave and try other lines - like I do. I've accepted my future cruising with P&O is limited.

We cruise currently with P&O, Celebrity, NCL and Royal Caribbean. MSC and princess are on the radar . Unfortunately, we can't sail with them all in the same year. This year just Royal, Celebrity and P&O. Loyal ,we are.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1