Oh dear, Iona disappointment, Again!

Welsh pride

16 hours ago, Halfway said:

Just back from first cruise on Iona, so drawing a few comparisons with previous cruises on other P&O ships.:-

Iona - a bit underwhelmed by the Atrium, not got the "wow" factor I'm sure P&O wanted. The SkyDome is impressive, but awful acoustics spoil any musical acts that appear there. Not sure if COVID related, but no sail away parties, and the entertainment staff don't do much other than introduce shows and host quizzes.

Cabins:- Nice, but poor wardrobe/cupboard spaces, and a glaring omission is no facility for charging electric shavers/toothbrushes. The ports guides which have been an essential part of cruises we've done before weren't available. Cost cutting? Don't know, but poor from P&O if so. White Company toiletries restricted to shampoo/shower gel, all securely fastened, so no taking away part-used bottles!

Dining:-

The My Holiday app was good, we joined the virtual queue every night, and never waited more than a few minutes before getting the "table ready" alert. Food very good, definitely more veggie/vegan options but enough others options to satisfy most tastes. Portions - particularly starters - noticeably smaller sizes, but good nonetheless.

Entertainment:-

Pulse were excellent, several other good acts, but virtually all the high-wire shows due to happen in the Sky Dome were cancelled due to the virtually omni-present high winds. Only one guest speaker on board, which was disappointing.

Verdict:-

Things were always going to be different since our last cruise just before the pandemic started. Cruise companies have lost millions and it is perhaps no surprise that they are now trying to claw some of it back. Iona is definitely aimed at attracting more family-based cruisers. No dancing in the Atrium, laser shows, high-tech effects in Headliners, fast-food outlets in the Quays etc. It's a big, modern ship and P&O need to get as close to the 5200 capacity as they can. For us, we've tried it but prefer other vessels in the fleet and that's where we will look for future cruises.

A few observations (not saying your opinions are wrong):

Atrium - personal preference. I spoke with someone back off Iona today and they loved the feel of space of the atrium by being able to see both sides.

Skydome acoustics - a known problem being looked at.

Wardrobes - yes. Enough said.

Toiletries - this is part of the move away from single use plastics.

Port guides - these are due back, but have not been on board because of reducing staffing and Covid restrictions in ports.

Dancing - I believe the Club House is being used during the day and the Limelight club later evening.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

And by the time you factor in PE seats on the flights, onboard drinks etc the final bill will be approaching £9k.

At that price level, land based holidays become increasingly attractive.

Which is why booking at launch is attractive, the prices megabear quotes are current prices, or were when she moved the booking, and P&O fluid prices are always higher 12 months before cruising.  They will drop closer in but your choice of cabins by then is limited to those that are least desirable.

15 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Which is why booking at launch is attractive, the prices megabear quotes are current prices, or were when she moved the booking, and P&O fluid prices are always higher 12 months before cruising.  They will drop closer in but your choice of cabins by then is limited to those that are least desirable.

The price on my invoice was actually a day one sale I'm afraid. Admittedly it hasn't moved up since but it was so high to start with it had nowhere much to go! 

18 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I like the port talks too and would miss them. I find them really useful and learn a lot. 

I like the port talks too, if it is not warm enough to be outside I go to port talks even if they are not what I would expect to be my thing, a good speaker can make their subject interesting and I too have learned a lot. 

• Like 2

After eight years of not sailing with P&O (Oriana 2013) we booked Iona for last September, Spain Portugal £799 balcony, couldn't pass that up & loved it. It's brought us back to P&O, great food options & entertainment, shareholder OBC, no tips, bring your own drink (within reason), they don't gouge you on excursions or bar prices unlike the US lines.

What's not to like? 

We were on again in January & have January `23 & new year 23/24 booked already. 

• Like 3

On 3/7/2022 at 12:39 PM, zap99 said:

We cruise with a few different lines and generally find P&O to be in the cheaper end. This year we will be cruising with Celebrity, RCI and P&O and have no doubt that Celebrity and RC will have some advantages, but that overall, P&O will give greater value. 

Good post Zap.

People forget you pay a large amount of money on auto gratuities as well as extra tips in the Speciality restaurants, Diamond Lounge,Suite Lounge and cabin stewards on RC as well as auto gratuities on Princess and Celebrity and dollars are the on board currency.

I am very pro Royal Caribbean but I will always defend the P&O ships for their service and food.

Currently Iona has decks 10,11,12 and 14 closed from the aft escalators to the mid ship escalators for quarantine purposes although I don't think there have been any covid on board and the kids clubs are closed.

Word on the Royal Caribbean forums is that fuel surcharges might be coming back.

I hope everyone has a nice day and staying safe😷.

• Like 1

Are you onboard then Graham?  Did you keep that quiet or have I missed it?  Whichever, have a lovely time and send us some pics when you’re in port - and some sunshine, please?

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 7:09 AM, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks for the further information.  I think our days with P&O are probably over - we always found plenty to do on sea days, but most of what we did seems to have been cut out to reduce costs.

There does come a point, possibly already reached, when cost cutting produces a product which just isn't worth buying for some people.  So many other holiday options to choose from.

It will be interesting to see whether this is the 'new normal' post-Covid and fleet-wide Harry. I guess there is a possibility that Iona and Arvia will be operated in a different way to the rest...?

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good post Zap.

People forget you pay a large amount of money on auto gratuities as well as extra tips in the Speciality restaurants, Diamond Lounge,Suite Lounge and cabin stewards on RC as well as auto gratuities on Princess and Celebrity and dollars are the on board currency.

I am very pro Royal Caribbean but I will always defend the P&O ships for their service and food.

Currently Iona has decks 10,11,12 and 14 closed from the aft escalators to the mid ship escalators for quarantine purposes although I don't think there have been any covid on board and the kids clubs are closed.

Word on the Royal Caribbean forums is that fuel surcharges might be coming back.

I hope everyone has a nice day and staying safe😷.

The kids clubs were well and truly open last week, what’s changed?

5 hours ago, Britboys said:

It will be interesting to see whether this is the 'new normal' post-Covid and fleet-wide Harry. I guess there is a possibility that Iona and Arvia will be operated in a different way to the rest...?

We have never been to see a guest speaker, so won't miss them, or even notice if they are missing. Each to their own.

I’ve not been on iona so can’t comment on the ship yet and I’ve only been on azura so would only be able to compare her to those holidays. 

what I am wondering though is to the comments about certain things being removed like guest speakers and no dancing but light shows and apps for dinners etc.

what are you expecting p&o to do?

They are a company and have to move with the times as soon it will come to a point where all the customers who like the things such as ballroom dancing and having to sit with random people all week for dinner and guest speakers won’t be sailing on them anymore and then p&o will be left with no customers. They have to try to get in a younger demographic as that’s what they will need going forward. 
I think they are currently in limbo as they are trying to please both sides enough to encourage people on the ships from all ages. 

if I am honest then if the prices and itineraries were the same against other cruise lines then p&o wouldn’t be my first choice. Value for money is why I do. 

There are lots of these bad reviews coming though both on here and facecloth but it’s each to there own. 

17 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’ve not been on iona so can’t comment on the ship yet and I’ve only been on azura so would only be able to compare her to those holidays. 

what I am wondering though is to the comments about certain things being removed like guest speakers and no dancing but light shows and apps for dinners etc.

They are a company and have to move with the times as soon it will come to a point where all the customers who like the things such as ballroom dancing and having to sit with random people all week for dinner and guest speakers won’t be sailing on them anymore and then p&o will be left with no customers. They have to try to get in a younger demographic as that’s what they will need going forward. 
I think they are currently in limbo as they are trying to please both sides enough to encourage people on the ships from all ages. 

if I am honest then if the prices and itineraries were the same against other cruise lines then p&o wouldn’t be my first choice. Value for money is why I do. 

There are lots of these bad reviews coming though both on here and facecloth but it’s each to there own. 

P&O have made in quite clear that they are after a younger audience / families and have moved their offering to accommodate that demographic. Yes to stay profitable for years to come they absolutely need to attract that age group.

However to stay profitable they also need to fill the ships out with the school holidays. The older demographic have more free time and in some cases more disposable income. Alienate them completely and they will end up sailing half empty in November and January.

P&O are no longer my first choice but I will still book for an odd cheap week. They still offer decent value for money but are no longer a “special” cruise in my opinion, the price reflects this of course.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, zap99 said:

We have never been to see a guest speaker, so won't miss them, or even notice if they are missing. Each to their own.

I’m the total opposite. I always loved the guest speakers and learning something new. It will be a real miss for me if this is gone.

As you say, to each their own.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, zap99 said:

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Completely agree with each to their own. We all like/enjoy different things.

I also agree that P&O are a company in transition and that to survive, they have to attract a younger demographic.

I have said on a number of occasions in the last few years however that P&O are at present trying to be all things to all pax and that this is a very difficult balance to work successfully. On a personal level, I have no problems with them making wholesale changes to the product provided on the larger ships. I just hope that on the smaller two ships they keep offering a more traditional-style of cruising. If not, they will continue to lose a number of longstanding, loyal customers to other brands, which may then hasten the disposal of the smaller ships - which of course they might be quite happy about...?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

P&O have made in quite clear that they are after a younger audience / families and have moved their offering to accommodate that demographic. Yes to stay profitable for years to come they absolutely need to attract that age group.

However to stay profitable they also need to fill the ships out with the school holidays. The older demographic have more free time and in some cases more disposable income. Alienate them completely and they will end up sailing half empty in November and January.

P&O are no longer my first choice but I will still book for an odd cheap week. They still offer decent value for money but are no longer a “special” cruise in my opinion, the price reflects this of course.

I'm not sure on the value for money unless it's a saver fare.  As I have said elsewhere I'm getting huge quotes for cruises to the Caribbean on select fares - I think someone else looked at those and commented too.  

My moved Christmas Caribbean also mentioned elsewhere is inches from hitting the bin after I received an Azamara Christmas 14 night Caribbean offer yesterday and that's going to be based solely on price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm not sure on the value for money unless it's a saver fare.  As I have said elsewhere I'm getting huge quotes for cruises to the Caribbean on select fares - I think someone else looked at those and commented too.  

My moved Christmas Caribbean also mentioned elsewhere is inches from hitting the bin after I received an Azamara Christmas 14 night Caribbean offer yesterday and that's going to be based solely on price.

We tend to only look at the cheaper P&O cruises out of season which are still fairly good value. We go on other lines for our main holidays now.

I know what you mean though re select prices. We looked at Iona and it £800 more to pick our cabin and on Iona I would not even consider what a guarantee might end up as.  We booked Princess instead where we still got to select the cabin, drinks package etc and still better priced for the same destination at the same time (plus 1 day).

I think they have realised that not many people will be happy with the promenade cabins/ mini suites so they are making up revenue by charging select more to avoid them.

16 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We booked Princess instead where we still got to select the cabin, drinks package etc and still better priced for the same destination at the same time (plus 1 day).

Yet more evidence that P&O are pricing themselves out of the market, charging more for an inferior product compared to Princess. 

I appreciate the brands operate as seperate entities, but I would have thought that someone at corporate level must have some overview as to pricing architecture.  

• Like 2

In the coming economic crisis for many, many families, with increased outgoings far exceeding any increases in income, I’m left wondering how any cruise companies, except perhaps the very most expensive, are going to attract enough passengers to cover costs.

Cruises, I suspect, are going to be the very last thing on those lists of priorities.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

In the coming economic crisis for many, many families, with increased outgoings far exceeding any increases in income, I’m left wondering how any cruise companies, except perhaps the very most expensive, are going to attract enough passengers to cover costs.

Cruises, I suspect, are going to be the very last thing on those lists of priorities.

I agree - given the choice of heating our house for a year,  or going on a two week cruise, the heating takes precedence. 

• Like 3

P&O were my go to for single travel as Azura/Ventura normally offered last minute reasonable trips. I'm always happy with anything at all if I'm travelling alone as long as the itineraries are good.  Last three years that's been obviously not going to happen as booking two years in advance on far higher prices has become the norm.  I've reverted to my much loved Cunard single cabins for T/A adventures to travel alone and obtained a couple of cruise buddies to supplement my OH when he's not available for non North America trips.  Result has been Princess, Celebrity and NCL offering far better and cheaper and also more interesting itineraries.   I'm finding UK sailings on these lines considerably cheaper than P&O and being able to choose exactly what I want.   I'm hoping its pent up demand inflating prices but can't see why just P&O would have this.  In fairness RCI ex UK sailings seem high priced too.

I now have two P&O cruises left booked alongside one Celebrity fly cruise one NCL repositioning, three Cunard cruises spread over two years and I'm very close to booking an Azamara fly cruise.  Of all these the P&O Christmas Caribbean is the most expensive per person and that's quite something when the Cunard trips are as a single which in one case is a restricted view balcony on QE.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

That what I like about this site the way the regular posters always say it's better on such and such cruise line than P&O, we have a P&O cruise booked this year, one on Princess next year plus Marella and a TA on Arvia, I'm just waiting for some of the posters on here to start sending out other cruise lines brochures

• Like 1
  • Haha 1