Federal government to end pre-arrival COVID testing for travellers entering Canada

koolforkatz

Great news, if true. The only downside was this sentence: "Sources with knowledge of the matter confirm Canada is removing the testing requirements at airports and land border crossings." Whether this reflects a decision by the GOC to retain testing for cruise arrivals or if cruises were simply overlooked by the article's author remains to be seen.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Great news, if true. The only downside was this sentence: "Sources with knowledge of the matter confirm Canada is removing the testing requirements at airports and land border crossings." Whether this reflects a decision by the GOC to retain testing for cruise arrivals or if cruises were simply overlooked by the article's author remains to be seen.

Do you mean for Canadian Cruise ports? It doesn't sound that this would imply Canadians cruising out of US, then flying home, if fully vaccinated would still have to be subjected to testing

"The government's vaccine mandate for domestic and international flights departing from Canada, for VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains and for cruise ships expires this month. It's expected to be extended."

Next-to-last paragraph. While it mentions vaccines and not tests, it does imply that cruise ships are in a different category and not automatically covered by the pending announcement.

😞

Edited by daisy-mae

2 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

Do you mean for Canadian Cruise ports? It doesn't sound that this would imply Canadians cruising out of US, then flying home, if fully vaccinated would still have to be subjected to testing

Yes, cruise arrivals in Canada. Cruise passengers flying or driving to Canada after a cruise are covered by the pending changes, and would not be tested unless selected for ongoing random testing.

• Thanks 1

My only problem with this news is that GOC just announce less than 2 weeks ago testing restrictions regarding cruise ships at Canadian Ports. In my opinion, this is to soon to announce further changes. “I hope I’m wrong”. Our biggest problem is getting tested within one day of sailing especially when there not many locations in Vancouver and furthermore, the cost is high. 
We just have to wait and see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, cruise arrivals in Canada. Cruise passengers flying or driving to Canada after a cruise are covered by the pending changes, and would not be tested unless selected for ongoing random testing.

Perfect- that's how I interpreted- will be interesting to see if cruises will be further elaborated when the announcement is made tomorrow. 

31 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No where in the article does it say cruise ships. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DHP1 said:

No where in the article does it say cruise ships. 

Exactly. It remains to be seen whether the pending changes simply don't include cruise arrivals in Canada or whether the article's author simply had no related information from the sources.

Interesting...so the way I see this as a Canadian if I take a cruise round trip Ft Lauderdale I can fly home at the end of the cruise without being tested, but if I take a cruise round trip Vancouver then I need a test at the end of the cruise before getting off the ship and  before flying back to Ottawa?  Ironically we just cancelled a cruise out of FLL and replaced it with an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver.  

6 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

Interesting...so the way I see this as a Canadian if I take a cruise round trip Ft Lauderdale I can fly home at the end of the cruise without being tested, but if I take a cruise round trip Vancouver then I need a test at the end of the cruise before getting off the ship and  before flying back to Ottawa?  Ironically we just cancelled a cruise out of FLL and replaced it with an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver.  

That the way I see it also. Don’t make sense however.  We did the same. Cancel our FLL and replaced it with an Alaska cruise just to avoid all the testing requirements and secondly, if I do need to be quarantine, I would rather be in Canada doing it. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1

Just now, DHP1 said:

We did the same. Cancel our FLL and replaced it with an Alaska cruise just to avoid all the testing requirements and secondly, if I do need to be quarantine, I would rather be in Canada doing it. 

Our thoughts exactly!  Hope this doesn't come back to bite us...

2 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

That the way I see it also. Don’t make sense however.  We did the same. Cancel our FLL and replaced it with an Alaska cruise just to avoid all the testing requirements and secondly, if I do need to be quarantine, I would rather be in Canada doing it. 

If I do need to be in quarantine, I would like to be in my own home, or at least my own province. Sadly, that would not be the case with a cruise out of Vancouver.

LOL it figures.  We are off the ship March 30, test on the 30th,  booked to fly home March 31.   

I guess if we are positive we wait til Apr 1 then can fly home?  Rather than waiting 5 or 10 days???

I wonder how long the airlines will wait to change their policies.   

And before anyone comments on us flying home with a positive, think about all the folks flying starting April 1, who may be positive but haven't tested cause they don't have to, so they just don't know.   

No test, no positive!  

This is a mess.   

• Like 5

We leave March 30th for a week on Wonder of the Seas and are back April 8th...that's two less tests and a savings of over US$200...now if we can just do away with the test to fly and board the ship I can afford another cruise 😜

• Like 4