Tipping 101

TOMVH

13 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

Yes, it is. However, attitudes like the following become a problem....

@SpainAlien I'm glad you try to reverse the stereotype that you find yourself categorized in. Unfortunately, I don't see it going away soon.

@Trimonemost of the employees that work for those other cruise companies are working for tips also. You may not agree, but it's part of the industry.

Funny booking my cruise yesterday I paid gratitude’s upfront… 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Do it your way please. More perks for me.

Fair enough.  In fact, if a bucket of crappy beer shows up in my cabin, you can have it!!  I'll be in the lounge having my beverage of choice.

8 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I also tip $1 cash on every drink.

Do you do that in advance too? 🤣  I never said that I didn't tip my new friend who brings me drinks.  I just do it occasionally and not as a routine/fixed exactly $1 per drink.  That said, I think @MoCruiseFan would be more fun to have a drink with than you.  He may be a bit abrasive, but he's real.

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

Funny booking my cruise yesterday I paid gratitude’s upfront… 

Great point! Wonder if those two frown on that too since so many do. I guess those two would frown on that too since it's the same concept . But everyone else is wrong but them! 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Fair enough.  In fact, if a bucket of crappy beer shows up in my cabin, you can have it!!  I'll be in the lounge having my beverage of choice.

Do you do that in advance too? 🤣  I never said that I didn't tip my new friend who brings me drinks.  I just do it occasionally and not as a routine/fixed exactly $1 per drink.  That said, I think @MoCruiseFan would be more fun to have a drink with than you.  He may be a bit abrasive, but he's real.

Two bitter crusties deserve each other. 😄

• Like 1

I have a realistic question for those of us in the US, and I am being serious. Do you tip on the bill or include the taxes? I only tip on the food bill, but I typically tip 20%. Sometimes more on better service and sometimes less on poor service. But I only tip on what I bought. Now, with that in mind, my post on page 2 shows the cost for the cruise is $1,300. My prepaid tips and gratuities are almost $700. That is 53% tip when you consider what you are specifically paying for. Even including taxes, port charges and fees, it is 29%.

Not trying to argue tipping or not, but if any of you truly broke down your cruise price and the amount you tip, you'd be shocked. And yes, I would be more than happy to share my invoice so you can run the numbers yourself. I was actually shocked when I broke the numbers down.

image.png.e5e7c60d0d07499cb5a5aa4b345efbce.png

No tipping on Airfare. No tipping on the Processing Fee. No tipping on the Travel Protection. No tipping on the Taxes, Fees, Port Expenses, and Port Charges. What this doesn't show is the $108.50pp in service fees for 3 people that are now prepaid. So that would be added on the Additional Items line because that is the drink package and dining package tips.

Edited by bigrednole

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

Not trying to argue tipping or not, but if any of you truly broke down your cruise price and the amount you tip, you'd be shocked.

Yeah, but if you don't give extra tips (in advance) you won't get extra beer......on a cruise where you can already drink all the beer you want for no additional cost.  Of course, you may not get that great feeling of being "special."  Most of us outgrew that sometime in grade school.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, but if you don't give extra tips (in advance) you won't get extra beer......on a cruise where you can already drink all the beer you want for no additional cost.  Of course, you may not get that great feeling of being "special."  Most of us outgrew that sometime in grade school.

Look how childish and bitter you are! Its laughable. You haven't outgrown a thing including embarrassing yourself obviously while sounding like crusty old coot. You try  to spin receiving buckets of beer in the cabin and chocolate covered strawberrys for my kids on the down low as some irrelivant perk all while never getting any of that yourself. Yea, you really showed us that your way is better based on what ??? Hahaha! 😆 🤣 

We all can't help you and your life and lack of ever feeling or being special. Everyone here couldn't  care less what you do or don't do.  Your personal choices are irrelivant to others......

• Like 1

We always tip through our on board account. You tell the front desk the name and the amount and they give you a receipt to give to the recipient. We put it in the envelope with a note of thanks. We prefer this way to minimize the amount of cash we have to bring.