Which terminal

29 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

So a handful of cruise ships and couple of bulk concrete carriers that would not produce anywhere near the pollution of a cruise ship. Meanwhile tens of thousands of cars and trucks pass by every day.Its a bit like Australia produces bugger all “pollution” compared to the rest of the world but we are held responsible for fixing the perceived  mess. 🤑🤑🤑🤑

Yeah, no real incentives for people to switch to electric or hybrid vehicles. They are too expensive for the average person to buy 

Mind you compared with other countries around the world Australia's pollution levels aren't too bad. Some places are just shocking! But every little bit counts so this is a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gbenjo said:

So a handful of cruise ships and couple of bulk concrete carriers that would not produce anywhere near the pollution of a cruise ship. Meanwhile tens of thousands of cars and trucks pass by every day.Its a bit like Australia produces bugger all “pollution” compared to the rest of the world but we are held responsible for fixing the perceived  mess. 🤑🤑🤑🤑

Not according to this analysis released by British climate and energy thinktank Ember at the Cop26.

"Australia has the highest greenhouse gas emissions from coal power in the world on a per capita basis, nearly doubling those in China, according to a new analysis released at the Cop26 climate summit in Glasgow." Source

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Not according to this analysis released by British climate and energy thinktank Ember at the Cop26.

"Australia has the highest greenhouse gas emissions from coal power in the world on a per capita basis, nearly doubling those in China, according to a new analysis released at the Cop26 climate summit in Glasgow." Source

I think I read that that assessment is based on 'blaming' Australia for the emissions caused by the usage (in overseas countries) of coal exported from Australia.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gbenjo said:

I have seen two comparisons in discussions about providing electricity to docked cruise ships.

one indicates that a cruise ship provides the equivalent of 1 million cars per day.

The other was that a docked cruise ship produces the same amount of pollution as 125,000 idling semi-trailers. 

33 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I have seen two comparisons in discussions about providing electricity to docked cruise ships.

one indicates that a cruise ship provides the equivalent of 1 million cars per day.

The other was that a docked cruise ship produces the same amount of pollution as 125,000 idling semi-trailers. 

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Whatever suits the cause.

However........Taking those numbers for cars you have  given  and even if  there was an error and it should have been  a million cars a year, the figure quoted at the announcement said shore power would remove the equivalent of four thousand cars a year, that means pollution would be reduced by 0.004 percent........hardly  worth 60 million dollars?

Edited by gbenjo

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think I read that that assessment is based on 'blaming' Australia for the emissions caused by the usage (in overseas countries) of coal exported from Australia.

Or you could also view it as encouraging Australia to take responsibility for the exports it makes money on. Don't you think that the export of coal and gas entail a moral obligation for the outcomes of their use?

Electric cars not only have lower power running bills, they have lower maintenance bills and are much more relaxing (and fun) to drive.

The problem I see in buying an electric car to use in Australia is the limitation on the distance it can travel before it needs re-charging. I read an article about a couple who planned a long road trip in Queensland. They made a big point of the fact that they planned the trip around the availability of charging stations. Charging the car takes much longer than filling up with fuel, then there is the problem that if another car is using the charging station, another car that arrives would have to wait maybe half an hour before they can have a turn to charge their vehicle.

In my opinion, hybrid cars are probably more practical in Australia.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The problem I see in buying an electric car to use in Australia is the limitation on the distance it can travel before it needs re-charging. I read an article about a couple who planned a long road trip in Queensland. They made a big point of the fact that they planned the trip around the availability of charging stations. Charging the car takes much longer than filling up with fuel, then there is the problem that if another car is using the charging station, another car that arrives would have to wait maybe half an hour before they can have a turn to charge their vehicle.

In my opinion, hybrid cars are probably more practical in Australia.

And the time to recharge EVs. My current car is a hybrid (best decision I ever made) I expect next one will be a plug in hybrid, but pure EV still looks a way down the track for us.

when I first looked at getting a Hybrid it was $10k extra, mine only cost $2k extra and half paid it back in 12 months, with recent petrol prices will repay the extra in about 18 months (factoring in some extra mileage)

Just now, GUT2407 said:

And the time to recharge EVs. My current car is a hybrid (best decision I ever made) I expect next one will be a plug in hybrid, but pure EV still looks a way down the track for us.

when I first looked at getting a Hybrid it was $10k extra, mine only cost $2k extra and half paid it back in 12 months, with recent petrol prices will repay the extra in about 18 months (factoring in some extra mileage)

One of our sons has a hybrid Rav 4 and has offered to pass it on to us when they are ready to buy a new car. I am trying to convince my husband that we should accept. We are very happy with our Outlander, but it is now more than 11 years old. I will be time to move to something else in a year or two. We have usually changed our cars around the 10-year mark.

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

One of our sons has a hybrid Rav 4 and has offered to pass it on to us when they are ready to buy a new car. I am trying to convince my husband that we should accept. We are very happy with our Outlander, but it is now more than 11 years old. I will be time to move to something else in a year or two. We have usually changed our cars around the 10-year mark.

Ours is the RAV4, and to be honest I love it, was driving a Lexus till last year and you can hardly spot the difference at 1/2 the price. Wife says our first Lexus was slightly better, the Rav is better than our BMWs

20 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Sorry,  misread your post, but Rhapsody would not fit under the bridge either. Yes Oosterdam did but like many other ships, do not call here …….I used to have hair but not any more 😂😂 The cruise lines seem to be building bigger ships and apart from the smaller “ boutique” lines and they all want the “ prestige” of going to the OPT…White Bay is not the most “convenient “ terminal to operate from.

I don't know about prestige, but White Bay is a pain to transit to so I would take OPT departures anytime. The terminal at White Bay is quite nice, just in the wrong location.

Sydney Ports has evolved their bridge clearance protocols over the years. Sun Princess was not going to fit their rules, but they allowed it clearance when the service gantry was parked away from the channel. With Oosterdam, they granted clearance based on the gantry and tides. In my mind, I reckon Oosterdam is at least as tall as Enchantment, but my tape measure isn't long enough. 

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Ours is the RAV4, and to be honest I love it, was driving a Lexus till last year and you can hardly spot the difference at 1/2 the price. Wife says our first Lexus was slightly better, the Rav is better than our BMWs

I haven't investigated the cost of servicing etc for the hybrid. How does that compare with your previous petrol or diesel vehicles?

There  was a ferry that ran from Barangaroo to White Bay on days when a ship was there but not sure if it will still operate when cruising returns.  It would also mean you would have to get from your hotel to Barangaroo ( with luggage)  but a nice alternative if you can manage it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

There  was a ferry that ran from Barangaroo to White Bay on days when a ship was there but not sure if it will still operate when cruising returns.  It would also mean you would have to get from your hotel to Barangaroo ( with luggage)  but a nice alternative if you can manage it.

I haven't used this ferry service, but I understand that there is a fairly long walk (700 metres?) at the White Bay end. If the company uses only one boat for the ferry service, there could be a fair wait to get on one.  I suggest that a taxi would be simpler.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I haven't used this ferry service, but I understand that there is a fairly long walk (700 metres?) at the White Bay end. If the company uses only one boat for the ferry service, there could be a fair wait to get on one.  I suggest that a taxi would be simpler.

Possibly, was just offering an alternative. 

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I haven't investigated the cost of servicing etc for the hybrid. How does that compare with your previous petrol or diesel vehicles?

Toyota offered a fixed price service, for the life of the car, think it is $169 could be 199, for any service minor, major 100,000km etc. Doesn’t seem to be any service requirements not common to the petrol only variant.

3 hours ago, CCC's said:

I have never sailed from White Bay.  How do I get there from a hotel near Town Hall rail station??

As Aus Traveller said grab a taxi. Don't be tempted to catch the ferry. It's inconvenient to get to the wharf and once at White Bay you have to schlep your luggage a long way over hot tarmac to get to the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Never sailed to or from White Bay, picked people up and dropped them off, great terminal poorly located.

Yes, as we have all said before …..move the White Bay facility to the OPT and you have the perfect terminal.

9 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Yes, as we have all said before …..move the White Bay facility to the OPT and you have the perfect terminal.

The only problem with OPT is lack of parking, one reason we always try to come down and stay the night before, way less hassle.

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

As Aus Traveller said grab a taxi. Don't be tempted to catch the ferry. It's inconvenient to get to the wharf and once at White Bay you have to schlep your luggage a long way over hot tarmac to get to the cruise terminal.

Definitely go taxi, only $20 from CBD and a little more from Central.

• Like 1