Stair issues regarding the tube and train connections

nini

I am trusting that our friends across the pond, or even abroad; can clarify any stair issues regarding riding the tube & train. The two concerns are:

1. The Heathrow Express from LHR to Farringdon

2. Getting from the Farringdon station to Victoria Station for the National Express or Waterloo for the train to Southampton.

I have watched videos and it looks pretty rough... no elevators or amps?

Thanks for the help.

If you mean changing from the HEX to tube at Paddington in order to get to Farringdon, there’s quite a walk to the Hammersmith and City line platforms, which involves going up a level from the mainline station where the HEX arrives and down a level at the tube station - again, there are lifts for both these. 

5 hours ago, nini said:

Getting from the Farringdon station to Victoria Station for the National Express

Victoria tube and railway stations are in a different location to the coach station used by National Express. It’s a walk along streets. Farringdon to Victoria tube is simplest done by the Circle Line with no changes. There are lifts at both stations. 

5 hours ago, nini said:

2. Getting from the Farringdon station to Waterloo for the train to Southampton.

Farringdon and Waterloo would be step free, but I can’t immediately think of a good way to get between the two. The obvious change is at Baker Street to the Bakerloo line, but that will involve stairs, I think. Other routes involve two changes or surface walks between stations. 

To be honest, if you are worrying about these journeys in central London with luggage, I’d strongly recommend you think about taking a cab.  

5 hours ago, nini said:

I am trusting that our friends across the pond, or even abroad; can clarify any stair issues regarding riding the tube & train. The two concerns are:

2. Getting from the Farringdon station to Victoria Station for the National Express or Waterloo for the train to Southampton.

I have watched videos and it looks pretty rough... no elevators or amps?

Thanks for the help.

As Cotswold Eagle says, the journey between Paddington Station and Farringdon is step-free at both ends.  The "Avoiding Stairs Tube Guide" confirms that that there are lifts (elevators) between street level and underground platform at both Paddington and Farringdon: 

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/avoiding-stairs-tube-guide.pdf

However, when walking from the Heathrow Express to the Underground entrance at Paddington, make sure that you follow the signs to the Circle/ Hammersmith & City lines, not the Bakerloo Line.  This video shows the way from the Paddington Circle/H&C Underground platform to Paddington [rail] Station and the HEX; just follow the route in reverse:

Also note:  National Express coaches to Southampton (and all other destinations) depart from Victoria Coach Station, not Victoria Station--the latter is strictly a railway station, with an Underground station beneath it.  Victoria Coach Station is a ten-minute walk from Victoria Station.  Trains to Southampton do run from Victoria Station to Southampton, but that route takes about two and a half hours compared to the hour and fifteen minute journey on trains from Waterloo Station.

Note also:  Taking the Underground from Farringdon to either Victoria Station or Waterloo Station necessitates a change or two from one line to another.  Not really a problem if you're travelling light, but it can be slightly confusing if you're not familiar with the Underground routes.  Taking a taxi from your hotel to the relevant railway station would be easier.

_________

Edit:  I see Cotswold Eagle posted further information to the very same effect while I was typing my reply! 😉

Edited by Post Captain

17 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Farringdon and Waterloo would be step free, but I can’t immediately think of a good way to get between the two. The obvious change is at Baker Street to the Bakerloo line, but that will involve stairs, I think. Other routes involve two changes or surface walks between stations. 

For what it's worth -- i.e., nothing, as far as the OP is concerned -- when I've stayed in the Farringdon/Smithfield area, I've frequently walked down to Blackfriars Station for the Circle/District Line tube to Victoria Station, and vice-versa--a a fairly shortish and pleasant walk indeed.  But on those occasions, I've been travelling light.  And I've also taken much delight in walking between Smithfield and the RFH via Blackfriars Bridge of an evening.  A few minutes more, and I'd have been at Waterloo Station.  (Sans luggage, of course.😉)

Two important resources for Tube journeys:

In addition to what's already been said, here are a few further thoughts:

16 hours ago, nini said:

Other ideas:

1. If it must be the HEX, consider the HEX to Paddington, then a cab to your hotel.
  2. Piccadilly Line to Kings Cross, then a cab to your hotel.
  3. Piccadilly Line to Barons Court, cross-platform change to the District Line to Blackfriars. Come out of the station, turn right and follow the road around the corner under the overhead railway bridge. There is a cab rank there - cab to your hotel.
  4. Piccadilly Line to Barons Court, cross-platform change to the District Line to Blackfriars. Do not exit the station building. After exiting the Tube station barriers, turn left and enter the National Rail station. Go up to the National Rail platforms and take a northbound train to Farringdon.
  5. Piccadilly Line to Barons Court, cross-platform change to the District Line, same-platform change at any station from Gloucester Road to Monument (inclusive) to an anti-clockwise Circle Line train ("via Victoria" or "via Liverpool Street"), which will take you to Farringdon.

16 hours ago, nini said:

Circle Line clockwise ("via Liverpool Street" or "via Victoria") to Westminster, step-free change using lifts to the Jubilee Line to Waterloo, step-free (including lifts) to exit the Tube station and to get up to the National Rail concourse/platform level.

Going from Farringdon to Victoria Coach Station by public transport? Quick answer: don't do it.

10 hours ago, Post Captain said:

However, when walking from the Heathrow Express to the Underground entrance at Paddington, make sure that you follow the signs to the Circle/ Hammersmith & City lines, not the Bakerloo Line.  This video shows the way from the Paddington Circle/H&C Underground platform to Paddington [rail] Station and the HEX; just follow the route in reverse:

A word of caution: That video does not show the route to/from the Circle/H&C Line platforms. It is the route to/from the Circle/District Line platforms. These are in different places.

If the OP takes the HEX to Paddington and then wants to take the Circle/H&C Line to Farringdon, they must go to the Circle/H&C Line platforms. Otherwise, if they get on a Circle Line train at the Circle/District Line platforms, it will be a very long way around the circle in the other direction to Farringdon.

My experience with using the tube. We used the tube closest to our hotel to an attraction.  The tube had a lot of stairs and the crowds waiting for the train.  After doing this a couple of times, we used the bus to go to the attraction, the bus might be slowly, no stairs and crowds. I would not want to try using the tube with luggage.

I appreciate the information and experience! The hotel sent the following directions and are as follows which is why I am confused. It makes it sound like it is all train. They did not necessarily punctuate properly. I am mainly concerned about stairs with some luggage.

"By Train:

Take the Heathrow Express to Paddington (takes about 20 minutes) at Paddington take the Circle or Hammersmith and City lines East Bound to Farringdon about 6/7 stops, at the station turn left walk straight up Cowcross street & we are about 400 yards on the left hand side."

5 minutes ago, nini said:

I appreciate the information and experience! The hotel sent the following directions and are as follows which is why I am confused. It makes it sound like it is all train. They did not necessarily punctuate properly. I am mainly concerned about stairs with some luggage.

"By Train:

Take the Heathrow Express to Paddington (takes about 20 minutes) at Paddington take the Circle or Hammersmith and City lines East Bound to Farringdon about 6/7 stops, at the station turn left walk straight up Cowcross street & we are about 400 yards on the left hand side."

The Heathrow Express is a train. The "Circle" and "Hammersmith & City" lines are tube lines. The 2 lines share an eastbound platform at Paddington, and both go to Farringdon station so you don't need to watch for a specific train. (They diverge past Farringdon.) They didn't explain about getting from the Heathrow Express station to the tube station. This is what people have been trying to explain to you.

The cost for Blackberry Cars is 64GBP or $84.00 and it will be rush hour on a Friday. American Airlines really messed up our original flight which was originally non stop and arriving about 1:00 pm

Do you think the cab would have horrible rush hour issues?

As I'm pretty sure I said before: for me, the best combination of comfort and cost for travel at that time of the day would be Heathrow Express to Paddington, then taxi to your hotel. The HEX is really easy to use, and then it would be a short (and not too expensive) trip to your hotel. And you would get a proper, pinch-me-I'm-in-London black cab experience :).

There used to be a website that showed detailed descriptions of all tube connections for disabled travellers (I'm talking number of steps and walking distances detailed), but for the life of me I can't find it at the moment...

31 minutes ago, nini said:

I appreciate the information and experience! The hotel sent the following directions and are as follows which is why I am confused. It makes it sound like it is all train. They did not necessarily punctuate properly. 

"By train and tube:

Take the Heathrow Express to Paddington (takes about 20 minutes). At Paddington, take either the Circle line or Hammersmith and City line eastbound to Farringdon--about 6/7 stops. Exiting Farringdon tube station, turn left, then bear right onto Cowcross Street. The Rookery is about 400 yards up the street, on the left hand side."

There we go--copyedited for clarity! 😉

32 minutes ago, Post Captain said:

There we go--copyedited for clarity! 😉

Thanks. This EXACTLY what the hotel wrote to me and it is frustrating to someone who is a careful writer and when good punctuation is necessary.

19 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Tube trains are trains too!

Ugh! I love you all and appreciate your help. Just imagine living WAY out in the country and knowing trains as in Amtrak. LOL. BTW- our closest Amtrak station is 75 miles away.

If you don't mind answering yet another...what do you think question.....in November, I'm taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington......then I have to get to my hotel in Earl's Court.....would you recommend taking a taxi or the tube?  I'll only have one medium suitcase. The route looks pretty straight forward on the tube map....and I believe that there will be no stairs to climb up or down.  Should I be brave or lazy??  😀

1 hour ago, ladysail2 said:

If you don't mind answering yet another...what do you think question.....in November, I'm taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington......then I have to get to my hotel in Earl's Court.....would you recommend taking a taxi or the tube?  I'll only have one medium suitcase. The route looks pretty straight forward on the tube map....and I believe that there will be no stairs to climb up or down.  Should I be brave or lazy??  😀

As much as I love the Heathrow Express, if your destination is Earl's Court, you might as well just take the tube straight there - it's on the Piccadilly line, which is the line that goes to LHR, so no transfer needed.

Edited by Twickenham

5 minutes ago, Twickenham said:

As much as I love the Heathrow Express, if your destination is Earl's Court, you might as well just take the tube straight there - it's on the Piccadilly line, which is the line that goes to LHR, so no transfer needed.

That sounds even easier. That's what I'll do. Thank you very much!