What happens if you show up to board without selecting an arrival group in the app? Because I can't!

bottomfeeder

Apparently it is a bug in the iPhone version of the app from what I've read here, but I cannot finalize selection of an arrival group for my cruise on April 9th.  I have tried many times.  I've also tried to use the "web version" link from the Princess website, but it just spins continuously saying "Loading" on my computer after I try to log into it--I use Chrome if that matters.  I realize that I could probably hang on the line waiting for customer service for multiple hours to get through to someone, but I would rather not spend all that time.  I am wondering if they will still let me onboard if I show up at, say, 12:30 PM without having selected an arrival group first?

I understand the app's boarding time selection process works on an iPad but I don't have one and I'm not about to buy one just for this purpose.  🙂

Has anyone on here recently just shown up to board without having an arrival group?  If so, what happened?

Edited by bottomfeeder

Just show up when you’re ready and you’ll be directed where to wait.  Not a big deal if you haven’t picked a time.  Some folks show up waaay before their assigned arrival time and get onboard early and some not.  Enjoy your cruise and don’t worry about the little things.

I don't use the App and showed up at the pier and was checked in right away. I hadn't done any of the health questionnaire because I didn't use their app. Not to worry it's just as easy to avoid the stress of the app and show up.

• Like 1

I have been on two sailing since the restart, one last November and again in February.  Both times the app failed miserably so I went early and was on board by 11:30 but I also benefited from the fact that the ships were only at 40 to 55% capacity. As ships start to increase capacity I'm guessing the wait times will get longer 

Although Princess sends email outlining mandatory items that must be completed with the app or the makeshift web version before boarding there is not much customers can do if they don't work.   I fill out the sections that work and complete the rest at the terminal.  Fortunately the folks at the terminal know how bad the app is and don't attempt to make excuses for it - they just check you in.  

Once on board the app worked much better for me.  There are some useful features but the app is still full of bugs so when it fails I don't waste any time trying to fix them - I just move on.  For those who are interested in trouble shooting beta software there is a kiosk where they sell medallion wristbands, lanyards etc.  On the Ruby it was on deck 7 aft near where they sell photo.  The staff at that station were very knowledgeable about the app and knew what was working was what was not, plus they had a few suggestions on work arounds etc.

Enjoy your cruise - with or without the app

8 hours ago, msmoger said:

Are suite passengers supposed to select an arrival group or, as I suspect, can they just show up when they wish?

Thanks,

Show up when you wish.  Same for Elites and Platinums.  And any Club Class below Platinum level.  Elites and Suites get priority boarding.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NerdsInNature said:

On the app, did you keep scrolling down the page past the arrival times?  I had a similar problem, and it turned out that I just couldn't see the button to save my new arrival group selection!

Yes, it is not there on the iPhone.  Others have posted of this "bug" and said if you have an iPad, it works on the iPad and the save button is visible. 

I wasn't worried about it and figured I'd just show up when I was ready, but then I got an "emergency update" email from Princess the other day--which didn't contain anything that looked like much of an emergency to me, but did say that if you show up before your arrival group's time you will be asked to leave and come back--and the thought of waiting outside the terminal in 85+ degree heat and humidity for several hours since I had no arrival group chosen didn't sound fun to me!  But I've been reassured by the answers on this thread that it probably won't come to that.  🙂

On 3/28/2022 at 10:06 PM, Steelers36 said:

Show up when you wish.  Same for Elites and Platinums.  And any Club Class below Platinum level.  Elites and Suites get priority boarding.

I agree with @Steelers36 Show up at the pier when you can.  You won't be the only person in the same boat (pun intended) they'll take care of you, they won't make you walk the plank...

You didn't mention where you're sailing from so your experience may be different than mine.  At the end of January, I sailed from Ft Lauderdale.  I arrived at the terminal about an hour & 1/2 before my boarding time.  As soon as the hosts saw my platinum medallion I was directed to a priority lane just to enter the terminal and was on the Regal in no time.  If this isn't your experience, I would just enter the queue and see what happens.  Often times it is easier to get forgiveness than permission...

14 hours ago, bottomfeeder said:

Yes, it is not there on the iPhone.  Others have posted of this "bug" and said if you have an iPad, it works on the iPad and the save button is visible. 

I wasn't worried about it and figured I'd just show up when I was ready, but then I got an "emergency update" email from Princess the other day--which didn't contain anything that looked like much of an emergency to me, but did say that if you show up before your arrival group's time you will be asked to leave and come back--and the thought of waiting outside the terminal in 85+ degree heat and humidity for several hours since I had no arrival group chosen didn't sound fun to me!  But I've been reassured by the answers on this thread that it probably won't come to that.  🙂

I use the iPhone app also, and I didn't think the save/confirm button was there either, but it was.  For me, it looked like I was at the end of the page with no way to save my changes, but the button to save shows up below what looks like the bottom of the page after I made my updated selection.  I felt kind of dumb but apparently I wasn't the only one, haha, because I got that tip online.   This was all on March 13.  Either way, I hope your embarkation goes smoothly!

• Like 1

I boarded 3/12 at Port Everglades for the Sky Princess.

No-one ever looked at our arrival time or color code.  Just go.  Also, I never saw a blue, green, yellow or whatever colored line...There were two lines....One for the washed and the unwashed.  As we are unwashed, we still flowed right on in next to the washed and I did not see any difference in service or speed.  

The Medallion is there only to slow you down.....They obsessed over whether or not you had it and kept wanting us to go to the medallion pick up line even though we had ours. It is so much quicker to check in on Holland America Line where you just show your boarding pass and then go to the face recognition passport kiosk and then boom, go to your room and get your key and unpack.....

What a mess Princess is with everything.....never again. 

3 hours ago, NerdsInNature said:

I use the iPhone app also, and I didn't think the save/confirm button was there either, but it was.  For me, it looked like I was at the end of the page with no way to save my changes, but the button to save shows up below what looks like the bottom of the page after I made my updated selection.  I felt kind of dumb but apparently I wasn't the only one, haha, because I got that tip online.   This was all on March 13.  Either way, I hope your embarkation goes smoothly!

No, sadly, I have tried to drag it up over and over and there is no save button there--or else I am not able to drag it up far enough to view it.  But thanks for the suggestion...might help someone else.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 12:32 PM, bottomfeeder said:

Apparently it is a bug in the iPhone version of the app from what I've read here, but I cannot finalize selection of an arrival group for my cruise on April 9th.  I have tried many times.  I've also tried to use the "web version" link from the Princess website, but it just spins continuously saying "Loading" on my computer after I try to log into it--I use Chrome if that matters.  I realize that I could probably hang on the line waiting for customer service for multiple hours to get through to someone, but I would rather not spend all that time.  I am wondering if they will still let me onboard if I show up at, say, 12:30 PM without having selected an arrival group first?

I understand the app's boarding time selection process works on an iPad but I don't have one and I'm not about to buy one just for this purpose.  🙂

Has anyone on here recently just shown up to board without having an arrival group?  If so, what happened?

How did you finally make out?