Guarantee Cabin as a Solo passenger - am I being unreasonable?

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Booked an XB solo mid August 2021 ... for a holiday sailings (NYE).  And ... no solo supplement.  🙂

Yea and that no solo supplement was a very rare thing. Rarer than the solo gty.

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 1

I've done one solo guaranteed interior.  However, I've looked for others and realized that interior guarantees does include the studio interiors, if they are available.

My friend and I last year were looking at solo cruises for points.  We saw Brilliance had an extremely low price for gty interior, not knowing that there were 3 interior studios on the Brilliance.  I nabbed the reservation, but when I did it, he could not see that price and the interior guarantees was now doubled (including the solo supplement).  When i backed out and looked at the solo interiors, i found one available.  Interestingly enough, when i backed out of the reservation, he could then see the price again.

My theory is that if a solo passenger booked that price as a guarantee, that studio is going to be assigned and the price changed to reflect the solo supplement as all the rooms in the pool now require it.  Sure, your friend could have been put back into the rotation, but that price she got for gty, is going to be for that room if the gty price did not include a solo supplement.

@Another_Critic I got two sailings with no solo supplement last year.  A nice 28 point bump. (a 4 and 3 night cruise)

6 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I've done one solo guaranteed interior.  However, I've looked for others and realized that interior guarantees does include the studio interiors, if they are available.

My friend and I last year were looking at solo cruises for points.  We saw Brilliance had an extremely low price for gty interior, not knowing that there were 3 interior studios on the Brilliance.  I nabbed the reservation, but when I did it, he could not see that price and the interior guarantees was now doubled (including the solo supplement).  When i backed out and looked at the solo interiors, i found one available.  Interestingly enough, when i backed out of the reservation, he could then see the price again.

My theory is that if a solo passenger booked that price as a guarantee, that studio is going to be assigned and the price changed to reflect the solo supplement as all the rooms in the pool now require it.  Sure, your friend could have been put back into the rotation, but that price she got for gty, is going to be for that room if the gty price did not include a solo supplement.

@Another_Critic I got two sailings with no solo supplement last year.  A nice 28 point bump. (a 4 and 3 night cruise)

For the studio cabins, unless they are running a points promo, you only earn 1 point since you are not paying for double occupancy. Good you grabbed those interiors instead since you were looking for the points bump. 

3 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I got two sailings with no solo supplement last year.  A nice 28 point bump. (a 4 and 3 night cruise)

I got three with no solo supplement and one with a very small solo supplement.  A nice 124 point bump (7, 7, 9, and 8 night cruises).  🙂  A very big help to get me well on my way to 340 points (for 150% solo supplement).

7 minutes ago, bhsolo said:

For the studio cabins, unless they are running a points promo, you only earn 1 point since you are not paying for double occupancy. Good you grabbed those interiors instead since you were looking for the points bump. 

knowing what i knew, i did not book a gty because I knew Brilliance had those (I did end up sailing on Brilliance).  I booked the specific interior cabin.  One, i booked outright because there was no solo supplement and was a spur of the moment.  The 2nd (on Brilliance), we had accepted the solo supplement, but price matched down because it got taken out.  (yay!)

14 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I got three with no solo supplement and one with a very small solo supplement.  A nice 124 point bump (7, 7, 9, and 8 night cruises).  🙂  A very big help to get me well on my way to 340 points (for 150% solo supplement).

I'm finally hitting that threshold next month, just in time to apply the discount to my fall cruises before their final payment dates hit.  That double promo has been amazing for my points balance this past year!

• Like 2

I am hitting 340 first week in May.  My sister is just about to hit Diamond.  I think she will have 80 pts at the end of this Alaska cruise if she only gets the double pts.  She will have 96 it they give her the 4x.

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

I am hitting 340 first week in May.  My sister is just about to hit Diamond.  I think she will have 80 pts at the end of this Alaska cruise if she only gets the double pts.  She will have 96 it they give her the 4x.

Please bookmark this thread and come back and let us know how it all shakes out with the interior/studio situation.  

And it sounds like a bunch of us are hitting 340 the same week!  LOL

33 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Please bookmark this thread and come back and let us know how it all shakes out with the interior/studio situation.  

And it sounds like a bunch of us are hitting 340 the same week!  LOL

I definitely will.  We are not holding our breath.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I booked a guarantee balcony cabin on Ovation eight months before my 8/26/22 sailing as one person, and was assigned a studio. I expected an obstructed balcony view but not the small cabin. When I called (well, Costco TA called)  RCCL insisted that I had not paid a single supplement. No resolution, and that is the cabin I will be sailing in. Lesson learned: I should have taken a screen shot or somehow printed the booking prices on BOTH a solo and a double occupancy mock booking on the day I deposited.  The problem was this time --I could not prove that I had paid a solo supplement. Prices were a lot lower eight months ago but all RCCL did was assume that there was no solo supplement based on current pricing.

• Like 1

Thanks for replying to the thread because I forgot to report back.  It took a lot of conversations and an email to Bayley but she did end up getting the quad pts on the cruise but it was an exception.  Lesson learned. 

33 minutes ago, Kat in CA said:

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I booked a guarantee balcony cabin on Ovation eight months before my 8/26/22 sailing as one person, and was assigned a studio. I expected an obstructed balcony view but not the small cabin. When I called (well, Costco TA called)  RCCL insisted that I had not paid a single supplement. No resolution, and that is the cabin I will be sailing in. Lesson learned: I should have taken a screen shot or somehow printed the booking prices on BOTH a solo and a double occupancy mock booking on the day I deposited.  The problem was this time --I could not prove that I had paid a solo supplement. Prices were a lot lower eight months ago but all RCCL did was assume that there was no solo supplement based on current pricing.

The RCI cruise invoice should list any single supplement.  Can your TA send you the Royal invoice?

image.jpeg.b3b7a7e1cbb83385980bfc6fc9d2eb1f.jpeg